DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

Shoot trees or a far away neighborhood. Doesn't get much better for detail than distant tree branches.

Untitle2d 2.jpg
Hey Guys
I have attached a video of two test of this focus Bull Crap fiasco ! My conclusions : This is not a Focus Issue it’s a sharpening issue ! When set to normal (sharp) +0 (contract)+0 (Sat)+0 the footage looks like CRAPOLA! Everything looks melted (water Color) add +1 sharp and the hazy like water color fog is lifted…. It has NOTHING to do with color or selection of color profiles it all has to do with the style profiles. If you go from standard to landscape you will see the change…..BIG TIME ! ISO or shutter speed has nothing to do with this issue only I repeat ONLY the sharping or lack of ! Once again SCREAM to or @ DJI and get them to fix this ! HOW CAN DJI LET THIS CRAP GO UNFIXED BEFORE THEY SHIP A PRODUCT OUT!!!?????

Last edited:
My Mavic on 0 0 0 was never that bad.

Mine has another issue.

Have you tried rolling back to last firmware from Dec 6?

Test

Update to next firmware

Test

Then update again to most recent and see if any different

View attachment 5776
Hey Guys
I have attached a video of two test of this focus Bull Crap fiasco ! My conclusions : This is not a Focus Issue it’s a sharpening issue ! When set to normal (sharp) +0 (contract)+0 (Sat)+0 the footage looks like CRAPOLA! Everything looks melted (water Color) add +1 sharp and the hazy like water color fog is lifted…. It has NOTHING to do with color or selection of color profiles it all has to do with the style profiles. If you go from standard to landscape you will see the change…..BIG TIME ! ISO or shutter speed has nothing to do with this issue only I repeat ONLY the sharping or lack of ! Once again SCREAM to or @ DJI and get them to fix this ! HOW CAN DJI LET THIS CRAP GO UNFIXED BEFORE THEY SHIP A PRODUCT OUT!!!?????

My Mavic on 0 0 0 was never that bad.

Mine has another issue.

Have you tried rolling back to last firmware from Dec 6?

Test

Update to next firmware

Test

Then update again to most recent and see if any different
yes I had the .300 and downgraded to the 200 and reset everything I have gone insane trying to figure this out as its a challenge to me now ! I should have gone with the P4P !

Sharpness +1 is a good start for any picture profile for mavic pro. Unfortunately, it also increase the digital noise everywhere even at iso100, especially in the shadow area, I HV to applied denoise while editing and thus will reduce the sharpness while applied the filter. Not counting how much time consuming for the denoise action. So, I still prefer sharpness at 0.

Sharpness +1 is a good start for any picture profile for mavic pro. Unfortunately, it also increase the digital noise everywhere even at iso100, especially in the shadow area, I HV to applied denoise while editing and thus will reduce the sharpness while applied the filter. Not counting how much time consuming for the denoise action. So, I still prefer sharpness at 0.

I get crunchiness even at 0 but I think I will try it and soften in post.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

wow when I go to 0 for sharpness I get melted flat lines water color crap no sharpness at all

yes I had the .300 and downgraded to the 200 and reset everything I have gone insane trying to figure this out as its a challenge to me now ! I should have gone with the P4P !
Sent it Back to DJI for replacement.

I am

Ran some tests recording movies at ISO 100/400/800 (Shutter speed 1/50, 4k24fps, used ND filters to reduce light). Noted that the recording was sharp at ISO100 and starting getting muddy with ISO400 (watercolor effect?). It is probably caused by excessive noise reduction occurring in Mavic while recording. The stills are very sharp at all ISOs, noise at ISO800 can be dealt with in post.
Please post you ISO and shutter speed when including examples.

Reactions: mastruck
Well I'm really disappointed to find that there is this issue with the Mavic.

I've had mine a couple of weeks and used it a couple of times, I went out with it today and when I checked the footage afterwards it was terrible, it is as described here like an oil painting, there is no detail. I had put it down to user error but it was so bad today I knew it couldn't be.

I guess the best option at the moment is to send it back for a replacement?

View attachment 5776
Hey Guys
On those 2 stills, the right one looks like it out of focus? (which I believe is the root cause based on my testing) for me the sweet spot seem to be 0 0 0. Hmm strange

Sent from my KING7 using MavicPilots mobile app

Really" They told you that? Thats ridiculous! Thanks for sharing. And also If we keep getting feed this comment about focus being the culprit, (which I'm sure it is sometimes) I'm going to flip. a) I was diligent on "tap" focusing on a house, in a hover, from 30 feet away and b) Does this really look like a focus issue to anyone? Blow it up. It's a watercolor. Totally a sensor or compression issue. In fact I would say this image is a very well-focused watercolor. Sorry about the rant all, but geez.View attachment 2365
This looks an art filter rather than an optic issue.

I too have the chronic "Watercolour" issues and it appear to be getting worse - even in bright sunlight where no high ISO or over -active noise reduction or sharpening should be getting in the way.

So I propped my Mavic looking out of an open window at the winter trees at the back of my house. It was a dull day, plenty of dark shadows, highlights, saturated evergreens, dark areas and lots of twig detail to record on the bare trees.

I set everything to 0, no filters or modes and focused on the nearby tree each time.. I went through all video sizes and frame rates and still recording options including swapping between .mp4 and .mov formats just to see if it was the compression in these files formats.

The water colour effect was in evidence in varying degrees on everything.

Then I swapped between PAL and NTSC (I'm in the UK) which reset the camera (no bad thing I thought).

Back on the PC there was a noticeable improvement In most modes and frame rates.
So I switched back to PAL and BINGO! - Video @ 4k 24fps is now perfectly usable (still at 0,0,0)

The .Jpgs are still a little over sharpened but the RAW files are fine with a little chroma noise - prefer to sharpen and deal with noise in post on stills anyway. So I will be backing off the sharpness a little.

I'll try and post some before and after shots in identical video modes either side of the PAL/NTSC reset tomorrow.

But the big news is that video is back!

I agree with some previous posts here - it's a software issue. Some noise reduction/compression/art filter setting gets stuck on - resulting in recording mush. I think it most noticeable where it tries to over sharpen up slightly out of focus areas.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

Last edited:
I too have the chronic "Watercolour" issues and it appear to be getting worse - even in bright sunlight where no high ISO or over -active noise reduction or sharpening should be getting in the way.

So I propped my Mavic looking out of an open window at the winter trees at the back of my house. It was a dull day, plenty of dark shadows, highlights, saturated evergreens, dark areas and lots of twig detail to record on the bare trees.

I set everything to 0, no filters or modes and focused on the nearby tree each time.. I went through all video sizes and frame rates and still recording options including swapping between .mp4 and .mov formats just to see if it was the compression in these files formats.

Then I swapped between PAL and NTSC (I'm in the UK) which reset the camera (no bad thing I thought).

Back on the PC there was a noticeable improvement In most modes and frame rates.
So I switched back to PAL and BINGO! - Video @ 4k 24fps is now perfectly usable (still at 0,0,0)

The .Jpgs are still a little over sharpened but the RAW files are fine with a little chroma noise - prefer to sharpen and deal with noise in post on stills anyway. So I will be backing off the sharpness a little.

I'll try and post some before and after shots in identical video modes either side of the PAL/NTSC reset tomorrow.

I agree with some previous posts here - it's a software issue. Some noise reduction/compression/art filter setting gets stuck on - resulting in recording mush. I think it most noticeable where it tries to over sharpen up slightly out of focus areas.

Good news Owen.

Do you think then, if i switch regions in the camera and back to pal it will sort the issue out? Or should I reset the camera? ( however that is done)

Good news Owen.

Do you think then, if i switch regions in the camera and back to pal it will sort the issue out? Or should I reset the camera? ( however that is done)

There is an option to reset the camera - but the system also forces a reset when you swap region I think DJI's advice to some people had been to re-set the camera but I'm not sure if t always fixed things.

Once I'd "fixed" things with the PAL/NTSC swap it was a bit late to try the re-set on its own!

I just hoping that this might fix some of the other users issues here. Fingers crossed for your Mavic!

Last edited:
Reactions: Jase

Thank you Owen, I will try this tonight, the weather isnt going to be good enough for a flight but I'll just film something out of the window, really hope it works :)

Thank you Owen, I will try this tonight, the weather isnt going to be good enough for a flight but I'll just film something out of the window, really hope it works :)

I hope so too. Its the only thing that's really bad about the Mavic - otherwise it a great tool.

Obviously we'd like
  1. Self-clamping gambol - automatically locks on power off - much like a hard disk.
  2. Obstacle avoidance all round 360 (Like P4P)
  3. Automatically extending legs when entering landing mode to give more ground clearance.
  4. Uprated video processing to give at least 10Mb bandwidth for lower compression & higher frame rates
  5. Automatic hyper focal distance setting by default
  6. F-stop Iris control of camera so we can stop-down rather than having to use ND filters (and get more depth of field - too)
  7. Optional grips on controller for better tablet mounting
  8. Taking a still photo while shooting video (pause video, take photo, resume video)
Opps, wrong thread!

I hope so too. Its the only thing that's really bad about the Mavic - otherwise it a great tool.

Obviously we'd like
  1. Self-clamping gambol - automatically locks on power off - much like a hard disk.
  2. Obstacle avoidance all round 360 (Like P4P)
  3. Automatically extending legs when entering landing mode to give more ground clearance.
  4. Uprated video processing to give at least 10Mb bandwidth for lower compression & higher frame rates
  5. Automatic hyper focal distance setting by default
  6. F-stop Iris control of camera so we can stop-down rather than having to use ND filters (and get more depth of field - too)
  7. Optional grips on controller for better tablet mounting
  8. Taking a still photo while shooting video (pause video, take photo, resume video)
Opps, wrong thread!

I did what you recommended and just quick test by filming out of the window, I'm overlooking a marina with no tress or anything but everything looks pretty sharp at the moment (the yacht ropes etc).

We're in a middle of a storm at the moment so light is terrible and obviosly too windy to fly but I now have hope!

With regards to everything else you say above, I think a lot of that may come in future versions, autoextending legs would be nice but the mechanis behind it will just add wieght and something else to go wrong, longer foldable legs would be the best answer. I imagine a true aperature would be very hard to do on such a small lens/sensor but it would be nice :)

Ran some tests recording movies at ISO 100/400/800 (Shutter speed 1/50, 4k24fps, used ND filters to reduce light). Noted that the recording was sharp at ISO100 and starting getting muddy with ISO400 (watercolor effect?). It is probably caused by excessive noise reduction occurring in Mavic while recording. The stills are very sharp at all ISOs, noise at ISO800 can be dealt with in post.
Please post you ISO and shutter speed when including examples.
Shutter speed has nothing to do with this !

On those 2 stills, the right one looks like it out of focus? (which I believe is the root cause based on my testing) for me the sweet spot seem to be 0 0 0. Hmm strange

Sent from my KING7 using MavicPilots mobile app
No They are in focus if you look at the video you can see where I went from +1 to +0 no focusing issue its a program issue DJI NEEDS TO FIX THIS !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gplunk99