DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Does Mavic Shoot Video or Watercolor Paintings? Don’t settle. Get Involved!

There is an option to reset the camera - but the system also forces a reset when you swap region I think DJI's advice to some people had been to re-set the camera but I'm not sure if t always fixed things.

Once I'd "fixed" things with the PAL/NTSC swap it was a bit late to try the re-set on its own!

I just hoping that this might fix some of the other users issues here. Fingers crossed for your Mavic!

I've done both a reset and a region switch. Took it to the golf course to test but it lashed down. Praying for some good weather as for the last two weeks I've had it, the weather has been rubbish.

... longer foldable legs would be the best answer.

Yes I agree, less things to go wrong and stronger, lighter too. I was being greedy!

I imagine a true aperature would be very hard to do on such a small lens/sensor but it would be nice :)

Sadly yes. I know some compacts have build in ND filters but I suspect they may be of an electronic type - so I dont think they would help here. There is no way to fit a mechanical filter to the camera, let alone a selection of them!

Maybe a software solution to introduce motion blur between frames? After all, CGI movies already have motion blur for fast movement & panning. There might even be software out there now to do just such a task.....

Ah yes. http://revisionfx.cfom/products/rsmb/resolve/#pricing

So why fit ND filters? - I think a new thread is needed.....

photoboy, do you have a link to that embedded video you posted? I must be bad at the internet because I cannot seem to figure out how to get it full screen!

I wish I still had my P3S for side by side comparison because I still think that camera looked better for some reason. I am also still really annoyed that anything over 30fps is completely garbage, I don't understand what the problem is there, the low latency FPV thing seems like a total cop out from DJI.

OK GUYS IM SHOUTING HERE!!!!! I fix the issue~!~~~~~!!!!

I had read Owen Manderfield post and did a few test myself. First time I did it it didn’t do anything but This is what I did….

Set it to pal 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal
ISO was 100 at 50 shutter
I had Polor Pro Cin PL16 on lens as well.

Had it up about 50ft
Its windy here and SUNNY FLA!
I shot 4K: 3840×2160
pal 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal

Stoped video while in air
changed back to ntsc.
and kelp everything the same
4K: 3840×2160
ntsc 24 fps +0 +0 +0 normal

NO WATER COLOR ISSUe! %*&^)*$^@!@#$%^&*(*&!!!!!!!!
These are screen grabs from before and after…..
ntsc.jpg ntscx.jpg pal.jpg

I had read Owen Manderfield post and did a few test myself. First time I did it it didn’t do anything but This is what I did….

Great news!

Hopefully others on here can solve their watercolour issues this way - until DJI get around to releasing a firmware update to fix the issue. Thanks for posting your results.

I'm sure the dreaded compression artefacts will creep back in at some point - but at least we now know what to do.

We should be compensated from DJI for all the test and time we spend trying to fix what they should have fixed to start! I mean I went through this same shet with the osmo + and osmo pro x5. I was banned from the DJI web site for raising such a stink as all I did was tell it like it was ! Yes I like the DJI products as for what they have the ability to do but …… DJI support and way of handling issues SUCK big TIME ! but this is my thoughts ! Well, Good luck !

Reactions: hifli

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Thank you for testing and it seems to fix the watercolor issue..

But I still don't like whats going on in the trees in the background. Some weird sharpening/denoising. :(

I've noticed that kind of artifact on my footage as well, especially on backlit trees..

Great news!

Hopefully others on here can solve their watercolour issues this way - until DJI get around to releasing a firmware update to fix the issue. Thanks for posting your results.

I'm sure the dreaded compression artefacts will creep back in at some point - but at least we now know what to do.
Hope somebody lets them know how the fix works :). I know they are active and helpful on DJI forums, I wonder if they follow this one at all.

I've never really had an issue, but then my eyes are crap anyway. However, whilst it wasn't raining, I managed to get a few pics of my sisters house and the church behind. I think the quality is ok, there were no ND filters and I hate to say I was in 'auto' mode, with D-Cinema setting. I also got some the previous (sunny) weekend: again, I think the quality is ok. Comments? Am I being too complacent ?
23938ec37fc27e812d40fd8aa2c90828.jpg
37f7e1daa55c0a2be2273592e328d176.jpg
61634c8d78ad00cfaf631105d3ce6998.jpg
09131699dc309430ee6dc54cf99e2a14.jpg
068bdc1a0d618cd74e1649203714bb82.jpg

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

We should be compensated from DJI for all the test and time we spend trying to fix what they should have fixed to start! I mean I went through this same shet with the osmo + and osmo pro x5. I was banned from the DJI web site for raising such a stink as all I did was tell it like it was ! Yes I like the DJI products as for what they have the ability to do but …… DJI support and way of handling issues SUCK big TIME ! but this is my thoughts ! Well, Good luck !

And it's not just DJI support, it's the fanbois on the forums also. If you're someone that expects a product to function as advertised, expect to be lambasted by both DJI reps and owners alike.

Last edited:
Reactions: photoboy
I've never really had an issue, but then my eyes are crap anyway. However, whilst it wasn't raining, I managed to get a few pics of my sisters house and the church behind. I think the quality is ok, there were no ND filters and I hate to say I was in 'auto' mode, with D-Cinema setting. I also got some the previous (sunny) weekend: again, I think the quality is ok. Comments? Am I being too complacent ?
09131699dc309430ee6dc54cf99e2a14.jpg

I wouldn't be happy with that, very blurry.

Mike_in_Letcombe those are fine, no sign of the watercolor issue there. They just need some post processing to sort contrast etc but the issue doesn't usually affect photos anyway.

And it's not just DJI support, it's the fanbois on the forums also. If you're someone that expects a product to function as advertised, expect to be lambasted by both DJI reps and owners alike.
Unfair - DJI told me to reset via DJI Assistant but I couldn't be bothered - hardly their problem.

Uploads from my Watercolor tests and "fix"
First an example of the Watercolour issue - in very good lighting conditions (cropped):
WaterColour.JPG

Before and after the NTSC/PAL reset:
Before&After.png

Reactions: hifli
Any idea, how long this trick will work? Until restart? So better to have the reset every time after turning on? I need Pal, so I guess Pal-Ntsc-Pal reset should work as well?

I can confirm you need to switch to pal and back to ntsc before flying or recording !

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J