DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone Choice

andrew124c42+

Reactions
I have experience with drones but have not yet purchased a DJI.

My main interest is shooting videos. I want to be able to program way points and altitude.

Of course it might be nice to purchase an Inspire but I am not a professional and cannot justify the cost.

I am thinking about one of the Mavics or the P4P+...I believe it has a mechanical shutter.

I like the fact that the Zoom offers essentially two focal lengths but it has a half inch sensor.

I would also like to get the Crystal Sky. I have heard that it will work with Mavics. Do they come with controllers or do you have to buy the Smart Controller?

I have heard that DJI trough its firmware prevents you from flying in certain areas.

I am an instrument rated private pilot do I am aware of the SFRA that surrounds DC since 9-11. Also, the Class B air space covers a very large area around DC, Baltimore, and parts of northern VA and suburban MD.

So, can one fly one of these to an altitude of 50 feet...say to video or take photos of houses...etc?

What accessories are recommended? Where is the best place to buy them? Worst Buy? Amazon?

How about the protection plan? I have heard that DJI wins the worst customer service award! Do they honor the insurance?

Any thoughts, experience, or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

My main interest is shooting videos. I want to be able to program way points and altitude.

Of course it might be nice to purchase an Inspire but I am not a professional and cannot justify the cost.

I am thinking about one of the Mavics or the P4P+...I believe it has a mechanical shutter. It does, best to get a P4P V2 with Occusync if going that route P4P's are best choice for Mapping.

I like the fact that the Zoom offers essentially two focal lengths but it has a half inch sensor.

I would also like to get the Crystal Sky. I have heard that it will work with Mavics. Do they come with controllers or do you have to buy the Smart Controller? Your Aircraft comes with remote and the CS merely a monitor that is compatible.

I have heard that DJI trough its firmware prevents you from flying in certain areas. They keep you from flying where you shouldn't, a general "most" will never see a issue.

I am an instrument rated private pilot do I am aware of the SFRA that surrounds DC since 9-11. Also, the Class B air space covers a very large area around DC, Baltimore, and parts of northern VA and suburban MD.

So, can one fly one of these to an altitude of 50 feet...say to video or take photos of houses...etc? Before buying check DJI site and your areas of concern (Click this link): DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

What accessories are recommended? ND Filters and extra batteries is a good start. Where is the best place to buy them? Worst Buy? Amazon? DJI sets prices so their isn't a big difference on their products prices. Amazon or Best Buy have good policies IMHO

How about the protection plan? If you plan on crashing you can get the plan, if your confident in your abilities then the choice is yours, I have flown DJI for over 5 years and have never needed any service from them. I have heard that DJI wins the worst customer service award! Do they honor the insurance?DJI has one of the best Customer services out there that I have seen over the years if you know how to communicate with them, they certainly aren't perfect, but they are well within a 2 week turn around in most instance. If your asking if they honor their Care Refresh program, most definitely. But one needs to know to use the factory warranty if applicable before wasting a replacement...many don't. Also understand there is a small cost when used for first replacement (Cost varies by aircraft and all available on site ), and a bit higher the second time...don't waste them. ;)

Thanks
See Red above. :)

Last edited:
I would link up with anyone in your area with a DJI before you buy and see what pain they go through to fly in that airspace

See Red above. :)
This was very helpful. In the 99s I could take someone down to 800 feet and circumnavigate the mall...not any more. The DJI map has areas that I could fly over as a private pilot which is interesting. So, I assume all of the coordinates are in the firmware or software and prevent inadvertently flying where they don't want you to.

How about altitude? Do they restrict to 400 even if outside the US?

Is the controller that comes with it the Smart Controller or is that a different one?

Now that the Smart Controller supports Mavic Air 2 you could go for that combo. That would be about as good as it gets in terms of cost and usability. The MA2 has nice 4K/60fps video and now, with the SC, digital but smooth 4x zoom (in 1080p).

I am thinking about one of the Mavics or the P4P+...I believe it has a mechanical shutter.

I would also like to get the Crystal Sky. I have heard that it will work with Mavics. Do they come with controllers or do you have to buy the Smart Controller?

I have heard that DJI trough its firmware prevents you from flying in certain areas.

So, can one fly one of these to an altitude of 50 feet...say to video or take photos of houses...etc?

What accessories are recommended? Where is the best place to buy them? Worst Buy? Amazon?

How about the protection plan? I have heard that DJI wins the worst customer service award! Do they honor the insurance?

Any thoughts, experience, or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
I just sent a drone to dji from phone call, service number, to my house fixed, was so easy. They even sent pictures of the drone before, during parts replacement and confirmation of drone tested and returned. Was the best. That was within the U.S..

Reactions: Deleted Member 997
Now that the Smart Controller supports Mavic Air 2 you could go for that combo. That would be about as good as it gets in terms of cost and usability. The MA2 has nice 4K/60fps video and now, with the SC, digital but smooth 4x zoom (in 1080p).
Do you still need a smart phone or tablet with the Smart Controller? How do you manage in the sun? I just put together a portable amatuer radio satallite station and cannot see my laptop in the sun....so I have to use a big cardboard box to put it and my head in!

Do you still need a smart phone or tablet with the Smart Controller? How do you manage in the sun? I just put together a portable amatuer radio satallite station and cannot see my laptop in the sun....so I have to use a big cardboard box to put it and my head in!
I have flown my M2P and MA2 using the updated SC a few times now, and switched between aircrafts several times, and it works flawlessly. I have had no wifi or internet connection on the SC since the update.
So no, no need for phone or tablet, or cables, any longer if you have the MA2 and the SC. Its a perfect combination. The SC screen is brighter than a phone, and the SC has HDMI out so that you can do FPV using the goggles with the MA2, or use the SC for playback live or offline.

• Haha
Reactions: andrew124c42+
I have flown my M2P and MA2 using the updated SC a few times now, and switched between aircrafts several times, and it works flawlessly. I have had no wifi or internet connection on the SC since the update.
So no, no need for phone or tablet, or cables, any longer if you have the MA2 and the SC. Its a perfect combination. The SC screen is brighter than a phone, and the SC has HDMI out so that you can do FPV using the goggles with the MA2, or use the SC for playback live or offline.
Can you use two controllers so one person controls flight and the other the camera? Where did you purchase yours from?

You can have one person controlling the aircraft and another person (controlling the camera-gimbal but on Mavic 2 only and) recording video / taking pictures by using the Goggles. Or you can live-feed the smart controller's screen to any screen or device that accepts incoming HDMI, using a ordinary hdmi cable. This firmware upgrade allows controlling the MA2 using the SC, and comes with the 4x digital zoom tied to the right-wheel of the SC. Simply one of the most useful firmware upgrades of all time:). This allows a second person bird's eye view using the DJI Googles. Previously this could only be done using the bigger Mavic 2 drone or older Mavics.

Reactions: Dbez1
You can have one person controlling the aircraft and another person (controlling the camera-gimbal but on Mavic 2 only and) recording video / taking pictures by using the Goggles. Or you can live-feed the smart controller's screen to any screen or device that accepts incoming HDMI, using a ordinary hdmi cable. This firmware upgrade allows controlling the MA2 using the SC, and comes with the 4x digital zoom tied to the right-wheel of the SC. Simply one of the most useful firmware upgrades of all time:). This allows a second person bird's eye view using the DJI Googles. Previously this could only be done using the bigger Mavic 2 drone or older Mavics.

Does that include the Mavic 2 Pro?

Yes, with the Mavic 2 Pro one person can control the craft while another controls the camera gimbal via head-tracking, using the DJI Goggles. With the new firmware the same can be done using a Mavic Air 2, except no head-tracking of camera gimbal, and hdmi cable is necessary between the Goggles and the Smart Controller.

No cable is necessary when using the Goggles and the Mavic 2, Pro/Zoom since the Goggles connects directly to the M2 aircraft.

Last edited:
I guess the Mavic 2 Pro it is. The P4P is appealing.....but it is not portable and too conspicuous. I have been looking around for the best deal on it with the controller and package including ND filters.

Does that include the Mavic 2 Pro?
Yes. The M2Z and M2P use the same AC body. Only the gimbal/caneras are different.

As for DJI geofencing, areas that will prevent you from taking off are authorization zones in blue. Typically those show up along runway glide paths, areas close to some airports, and TFRs. You can unlock authorization zones. There are red zones that can't be self-unlocked, but if you are truly authorized to fly there, you can submit documentation to DJI and they'll unlock it for you.
Some areas are zoned in grey for altitude limits, usually corresponding to FAA's facilities map.
You can view DJI's geofencing policy and zone map at flysafe.dji.com.

If you have IFR cert, it should be easy for you to get part 107 certified. With that you can get waivers from FAA such as going at higher altitudes than facilities map shows you could normally get authorization.

DJI doesn't blanket limit altitude to 400ft, though the app/firmware does have the altitude limit setting default to that altitude. Firmware limit is 500 meters from takeoff altitude.

Yes. The M2Z and M2P use the same AC body. Only the gimbal/caneras are different.

As for DJI geofencing, areas that will prevent you from taking off are authorization zones in blue. Typically those show up along runway glide paths, areas close to some airports, and TFRs. You can unlock authorization zones. There are red zones that can't be self-unlocked, but if you are truly authorized to fly there, you can submit documentation to DJI and they'll unlock it for you.
Some areas are zoned in grey for altitude limits, usually corresponding to FAA's facilities map.
You can view DJI's geofencing policy and zone map at flysafe.dji.com.

If you have IFR cert, it should be easy for you to get part 107 certified. With that you can get waivers from FAA such as going at higher altitudes than facilities map shows you could normally get authorization.

DJI doesn't blanket limit altitude to 400ft, though the app/firmware does have the altitude limit setting default to that altitude. Firmware limit is 500 meters from takeoff altitude.

Thanks for the info. (Actually, I can fly anywhere I want as you can see from my picture. It is my coverman who will be limited.) The DC metro area including Northern VA and suburban MD has government facilities everywhere. My coverman's daughter just moved with her husband to an apartment in Arlington, VA. Turns out it is across the street from DARPA!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
themirac