DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone crashes into car on Sydney Harbour Bridge.

While I don't condone any flying behavior remotely close to this, using "fatality" in the discussion is a highly unlikely outcome.
How could you possibly know this? Perhaps we need to get DJI to loan us a Mavic Pro so that we can do some test flying at 40mph into a person's skull do determine whether fatality is an unlikely outcome. Any skull volunteers out there?

Reactions: Grey Wolf
I'm sure people had the same arguments when early cars started appearing along side horses and carts and maybe even crashing into them :)

People just don't like things that are different/new/not what they are used too.

But like it or not, drones - and idiots- are here to stay and sadly incidents like this will become more frequent especially once drones replace men carting small -maybe even large ' parcels to your door, not to mention the many other uses drones will be put too, some we are already seeing, some probably have even been thought up yet.
But eventually drones will likely be so common place that people don't give them a second thought and a crash like this will get as much attention as a motorcycle lightly hitting a car does today.

In the mean time getting worked up about things like this is totally pointless, idiots will always be idiots and fly stupid, ignore rules and not use common sense.
So whilst it's good to discuss it, no point getting to hot under the collar about things like this, all we can do is encourage people to fly safe and only in appropriate places etc, and far better - whatever we feel about these idiot drone pilots - to put our energy in to educating the sensible ones we can get through too rather than arguing amongst ourselves . :)

I'm sure people had the same arguments when early cars started appearing along side horses and carts and maybe even crashing into them :)

People just don't like things that are different/new/not what they are used too.

But like it or not, drones - and idiots- are here to stay and sadly incidents like this will become more frequent especially once drones replace men carting small -maybe even large ' parcels to your door, not to mention the many other uses drones will be put too, some we are already seeing, some probably have even been thought up yet.
But eventually drones will likely be so common place that people don't give them a second thought and a crash like this will get as much attention as a motorcycle lightly hitting a car does today.

In the mean time getting worked up about things like this is totally pointless, idiots will always be idiots and fly stupid, ignore rules and not use common sense.
So whilst it's good to discuss it, no point getting to hot under the collar about things like this, all we can do is encourage people to fly safe and only in appropriate places etc, and far better - whatever we feel about these idiot drone pilots - to put our energy in to educating the sensible ones we can get through too rather than arguing amongst ourselves . :)

well-said

What if the drone smashed into his windshield, the driver lost control of his vehicle, and drove off the bridge and died? What would it be then? Vehicular Manslaughter? Involuntary manslaughter? I truly do not understand why it's so hard to conceptualize that drones can be dangerous when not flown responsibly.

Yes manslaughter. No different than if he was driving a car and he ran a stop sign. it happens. Suffer the consequences. But don't demonize the entire industry or restrict our freedoms

Your point is completely invalid. There is so much you are either deliberately or ignorantly leaving out of your analysis as to render it utterly meaningless.

Dozens of differences between the two make critical differences in the risk. To point out one obvious one, when a car has a mechanical failure, it slows down, pulls over to the side of the road, and stops. The vast, vast, vast, vast majority of the time there is no risk to anyone.

A drone has a mechanical problem and drops from the sky. If the pilot was irresponsible and flying over people or cars, the risk of serious injury to an innocent bystander is very significant.

This is just ONE major difference. Perhaps you should think this through a bit more before continuing to defend your "drones are no more risky than cars" stance.

100% false. A Drone falling out of the sky kills virtually NO ONE. It just doesn't happen, like ever. Cars kill many people every day. On a danger scale of 1 to 100, a car is about an 80 and a drone is about a .000080

Reactions: kona and jasonb777
I have noticed over the years mass hysteria people create over drone accidents, and what ends up happening is more laws are made for people that fly drones safely abiding by the laws. No reckless use of drones, or guns for that matter, are acceptable by any means, but what some of you previous posters need to see is that no laws will do away with misuse of drones or guns by people that don't obey the law anyways! Look at cities with some of the highest crime rates involving guns...they also have the strictest gun laws. Posting incidents like this, in my mind is a bad idea, because the more that people read these articles, the more they will push for stricter laws which takes the fun away from us that choose to obey the law, while all of these idiots that crash into,...say...the white house, will still be flying a drone disregarding the law.

All there is to say about this is that the entire Sydney Harbour is a restricted fly zone. there are numerous helicopters, seaplanes, and other light aircraft that have special approval to fly very low in this are for commercial purposes. Flying anywhere near the Harbour Bridge, Opera House, etc. is very much illegal and should be met with harsh penalties if this person is found. Here is a link from CASA showing the no fly zone: Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA

CASA has also said that they are investigating: Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA

Reactions: malepilot
Ummmmmmm... I know with 100% certainty that I read a post here recently about someone who was going to fly over Sydney Harbor!!!

Ummmmmmm... I know with 100% certainty that I read a post here recently about someone who was going to fly over Sydney Harbor!!!
Before the forum goes all "reddit goes for the Boston bombers", there is a lot of space in the harbour, and though the good bits below the heads are in restricted space between sunrise and sunset, flying the harbour could be nowhere near the bridge.

Reactions: dwallersv
Is it possible that you're discussing me?

I mentioned that I sometimes fly in Middle Harbour in an unrestricted area.

I would never fly in Sydney Harbour proper.

Before the forum goes all "reddit goes for the Boston bombers", there is a lot of space in the harbour, and though the good bits below the heads are in restricted space between sunrise and sunset, flying the harbour could be nowhere near the bridge.

There certainly are some areas (mostly the north east) than can be flown in, and I would hate to start a witch hunt here. It is important for people to be educated about these issues though.

was just weird to see this story and remember reading here that someone was planning on flying in this area!! Didn't realize it was the OP lol.

Is it possible that you're discussing me?

I mentioned that I sometimes fly in Middle Harbour in an unrestricted area.

I would never fly in Sydney Harbour proper.

According to CASA Sydney Harbour and surrounding areas including Middle Harbour, White Bay, Rose Bay and the Parramatta River up to the Ryde Bridge are no fly unless permission was given by CASA. Your post in that thread certainly says you were going to fly across Sydney harbour. Either way, no sweat off my back. Just find it amusing.

Let's not start an interrogation here. I'm sure there are dozens of Mavic pilots in the area. It could have been anyone.

According to CASA Sydney Harbour and surrounding areas including Middle Harbour, White Bay, Rose Bay and the Parramatta River up to the Ryde Bridge are no fly unless permission was given by CASA. Your post in that thread certainly says you were going to fly across Sydney harbour. Either way, no sweat off my back. Just find it amusing.

Big place, Sydney Harbour. I've visited the link that you quoted and I fly outside of the restriction zone as per that document.

Pretty amusing, I suppose.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure