DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone sky hook cargo release vs Gannet Cargo Release

Gonerafting

Reactions
Anyone knows of a review of Cargo Releases? In particular, ones that are well made. I found these two, one make in Israel and the other from South Africa.

Reactions: mereflyer
Dozens and dozens of reviews on YouTube by searching "drone release". Can get very specific if you add search terms for intended use, drone model, release brand.

Seems like fishing is most common use case (not legal in several states). Also popular for dropping contraband over prison walls :oops:

I hope you are a fisherman and not the latter!

Dozens and dozens of reviews on YouTube by searching "drone release". Can get very specific if you add search terms for intended use, drone model, release brand.

Seems like fishing is most common use case (not legal in several states). Also popular for dropping contraband over prison walls :oops:

I hope you are a fisherman and not the latter!
Not a fisherman, nor would I want to end up in prison, but it would be fun to maybe drop a parachute from. The two I mentioned have different style release mechanisms. While there are a lot of You Tube videos, no one has done a review or comparison of different cargo release mechanism that I can find.

I have the Sky Hook on my Mavic PRO and very pleased. Used it for surf fishing, helped in deploying amateur radio antennas and I practice search and rescue missions in a group I volunteer in. I bought the PLUS option and a spotlight for it to have a night flying option which is awesome. They also sent a parachute with it, the kids loved it. Here is a review of it (on a P4 but same concept):

Last edited:
Installed on DJI Mavic Air 2
It's a killer little device!
Weighing in at just 2 grams shy of 2 ounces (50g)
Does NOT connect around battery release buttons like all the others I have looked into.
It is the best by far from the research I have done and ended up pulling the trigger as it is
EXPENSIVE but you definitely don't want your investment falling out of the sky due to a cheap drop mechanism pinching your battery release buttons mid-flight.
I have had it for 3 days now and will update post if any problems arise...

Attachments

• SLAYER-1-T.jpg
    SLAYER-1-T.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 13
  • SLAYER-1-B.jpg
    SLAYER-1-B.jpg
    372 KB · Views: 13
  • SKY-H-50g.jpg
    SKY-H-50g.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 15
  • SKY-H-PKG.jpg
    SKY-H-PKG.jpg