DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Drone took off on its own.

I had the drone on in my home in tripod mode. It drifted off 3x banging up my walls and hitting a lamp. The 3rd time, I sacrificed my hand and fingers because it was going for my 65 inch screen Tv. I recommend not to fly in a house.

This was actually outside.

People should read the whole thread before trying to chime in and make dumb comments
And if you don't want people to make dumb comments you should post correct information from the start including thread title, not something misleading.

Obviously the thread title and first posts come out as they were meant to exaggerate the issue and deny your responsibility in the motors starting.

Reactions: Pushpak
You must be a pro.. I typically fly in a straight line or radius. I don't think I could fly that distance without flying a single straight line..
Looks like the last flight of my bebop (when I finally ordered a Mavic after having gone through 3 bebops, but I still like that little bebop....). It was set on a flight plan and went haywire before barreling into a large Norway pine. It looked as if a drunk six year old where piloting it, and was at about a 45 degree pitch doing about Mach 3 at least 1000ft from any point on the flight plan.
Point being, and I have not even recieved my Mavic so excuse me if I'm totally incorrect or pointing out something so obvious or insignificant that it becomes obvious I don't know what I'm talking about. In my image you see a whole load of erratic lines. They all show in green representing no elevation. The gps was functioning well enough to correctly log the drones flight path until it hit that tree. But then it generated all those false tracks over the next 30 minutes before it died. I know it hung up in the tree for at least a while as I was seeing pine needles for a few minutes before wifi disconnected. So it either got knocked silly and the gps went wacky while it was up in the tree, or it came down shortly after crash, knocking it silly, but also landing a few feet from a large building with a 500 lb propane cylinder a couple feet to the other side, all under a canopy of trees, which would prevent anything from getting any sort of satellite lock. So it's gps struggled to acquire more than one or two satellites and was throwing out coordinates from the entire area for the 25 minutes that it remained on before battery died.
That's my long way of saying, that in my humble opinion, my first suspect would be a gps failure/bad/no signal issue. I can't imagine that you actually flew like that. Or maybe you do fly like a drunk six year old, and that's ok. Or maybe your just drunk. If that's all, the solution is simple. You should just fly earlier in the day,

A quick glance on the data suggests to me that the drone was under control the entire time. But I only looked very quickly at it, and was dealing with a power outage in the middle of the night so...

And thats exactly what I can't figure out. The only time I touch the control was when I started the motors, raised it up a few feet to hover and when it took off with its crazy flight plan, I tried the emergency shut down with pointing the sticks down and out. It was skipping all over the place. Other then that, I was not controlling it with that flight.

A quick glance on the data suggests to me that the drone was under control the entire time. But I only looked very quickly at it, and was dealing with a power outage in the middle of the night so...

Is there a way to see if the controller malfunctioned?

Has anyone else had this happen. I connected the remote to the drone. GPS kicked in. But....I didn't connect the iPad to the remote. The drone just took and and flew on its own. It lost control and skipped across the street etc. Scraped the bottom of the drone. Not good.

I thought you can fly it with just the remote?

Any thoughts? Scared the heck out of me. Luckily there is snow and it stopped in a snow bank.

What action started the motors?
Where was the controller? (in your hands, hanging on a lanyard, sitting in the bag on its side?)

As others say, please post the .TXT files... oops - you did - but I get a 404 when I try to retrieve them.

.DAT. I don't have a tool to work with that and P and HD don't take it. Will have to wait until tonight. My place of employment likes me to get lost and show up from time to time ...

Here is some details of what happened.

I turned on my remote, mounted the iPad to the remote, started the DJI Go app, forgot to tether the iPad to the remote, turned on the Mavic, waited until the GPS kicked in, started the motors, raised the Mavic to about 4 feet and hovered, then without touching the sticks on the remote the Mavic to off in a crazy flight path. The only thing that I did on the remote at that time, was tried the emergency CSC shutdown. It did not shut down. The Mavic stopped only after flying into a snow bank.

Here is the DAT File Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-03-14_19-33-59.DAT
I had to pull the DAT file from the Mavic, because the iPad was not connected at the time of flight.

Any ideas would be helpful.

Here is the image of the flight path and the log file. Dropbox - DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2017-03-14_19-33-59.DAT

Looking at that image and not having a chance to look at the data, my first impression is that it's a poor location for good GPS reception due to the houses and trees. The track is recorded by GPS but that's not necessarily what the aircraft did as a flight path - at least not that noisily. That said, whatever the "intent" the same noisy GPS would affect the flight path to some degree depending on what was driving the "intent".

I often record GPS data for other things and the path in the image above is what I get when reception conditions are poor - such as in deep woods with heavy foliage.

I say this a lot: Never start the motors without good GPS reception. 12 sats or more if possible.
Corollary: start the drone in an area with good conditions for GPS: open, no obstacles or masking.

Reactions: minimpw
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph