DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Educate me on video.

H

Hidden

My PC is old! It has two Nividia GeForce GTX 660 cards hooked in SLI. I have been reading, and what I read is these cards will not do 4K.
It does 1080P without a problem.
My issue, like some others is stuttering 4K video. I downloaded my Micro SD card using a 6-8 year old card reader, so I ordered a modern one thinking maybe it was the problem for the stuttering video. My SD card is a SanDisk 256GB Extreme MicroSDXC UHS-I Memory Card with Adapter - C10, U3, V30, 4K, A2, Micro SD - SDSQXA1-256G-GN6MA.

What is happening is the video downloaded from the card via the old card reader stutters when played. The video which gets stored on the phone when downloaded to my computer plays fine, and when I uploaded the downloaded video from the card to YouTube it plays fine.
So I'm guessing it's my old video cards, maybe, I do not know. Should I get a new card, or just shoot video in 1080P because 1080P looks as good to me as the 4k video.
I can't really afford one of the 4K cards anyway at the moment. I have not kept up with computer components since I built this computer in late 2012.
What do you all think?

If you are getting everything you need out of HD then don't worry much about 4k - UNLESS you are shooting for a film or TV station (which you shouldn't do if you're not 107) or you are at an amazing, one-time event or location and the day will come that you WISH you had shot additional footage at 4K.
I've seen my work digitally projected on the 'big screen' of a theater and HD would not have cut it - but my clients demand the best.
Most TVs and a lot of computer monitors are only HD. When I change channels on TV, I see that most channels are 1080 and some are 720 so just enjoy what works.
Sadly, most video today is viewed on a tiny telephone screen where you could get probably away with 480.

Reactions: Hidden
drop down to 2.7 k or lower

Reactions: dozzn and Hidden
If you are getting everything you need out of HD then don't worry much about 4k - UNLESS you are shooting for a film or TV station (which you shouldn't do if you're not 107) or you are at an amazing, one-time event or location and the day will come that you WISH you had shot additional footage at 4K.
I've seen my work digitally projected on the 'big screen' of a theater and HD would not have cut it - but my clients demand the best.
Most TVs and a lot of computer monitors are only HD. When I change channels on TV, I see that most channels are 1080 and some are 720 so just enjoy what works.
Sadly, most video today is viewed on a tiny telephone screen where you could get probably away with 480.
Pretty much what I decided, my cards are 1080, my TV is 1080, and my aging eyes can nary tell the difference in resolution.

I shot this at 2K. I used a new modern card reader also. The video plays well on my PC. Here is the YouTube version. I am going to try 5K again, and see what happens.
Backyard Video YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
activmonk