DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

EPIC 360 CAMERA MOUNTED ON MAVIC PRO

The links are fine. I don’t know why they don’t display correctly. One thing is that 360 on Facebook will only work on a phone or tablet in an Facebook app. On a computer it will work fine in most browsers apart from the internet explorer. I’ll put a link to my Facebook page. There are a couple of videos you can checkout, one Old Harry Rocks in uk and on of Cocora Valley in Colombia. Log In or Sign Up to View

If that link doesn’t work try looking for Avea - Alta Vista Epic Aerials

Just checked it out man, you’ve got some good stuff.

I saw the 360 you posted on Jan 11, it was a clean 360, not very bumpy at all. A lot closer to what I’ve been looking for.

So all you did was upload it to fb and use the stabilization they offered?

As the video uploads you go to one of the tabs and you can choose the stabilisation as well asasetas the default facing for different parts of videov

360 CAMERA UNDERNEATH DRONE METHODS:

This is my preferred method for having the 360 camera underneath the Drone. It wobbles and shakes a lot but at least the actual Drone is not in the shots
View attachment 30317
There is this method too, but for me it has been just as wobbly and the Drone gets in the shot.
View attachment 30318 View attachment 30319

360 OVER DRONE METHODS:

In this option, there was an overwhelming amount of mag interf and the Drone in some occasions would start ascending uncontrollably. I had to press the landing feature on the DJI app to force the descent. Fortunately I was only flying over my yard. Even still the Drone used 35% of its battery descending because it was coming down extremely slowly. Has this happened to anyone else?
View attachment 30315 View attachment 30316
This is my preferred method because there was no mag interf and the GPS locked in almost immediately. It was just as wobbly as all the other ones, but less of the Drone was in the video. However, it still freaked out like the other one and started going up, not as fast and I was able to control it a little better. Drone is still in the shots, so this is not my Final Draft.
View attachment 30314 View attachment 30313

I need some help with this for sure haha

thanks,
RickyMavic
How do you do to take off the drone with the camera at the bottom? I just bought a bottom mount and I´m designing a suitable base made of unicel... but I would like to know what kind of take off pad do you use?

Reactions: RickyMavic
You can do much, much, much better than this. You just need a better 360 camera.

Mid to high-end camera have 6-axis gyros (a.k.a. "IMU" in our birds) that record spatial orientation data with every frame. Since a 360 camera has the entire image sphere around the imaging point, stabilization correction can be added post-processing by rotating the image space based on the gyro data. Bottom line is an electronically stabilized image.

There are obviously some limitations to this form of stabilization vs. a mechanical gimbal. Rapid movements that result in motion smearing in the frame will create visible transient blurring while watching. There are some other artifacts, but there are ways to mitigate these issues.

Shoot at the highest framerate possible/usable. Use cinematic mode to smooth control movements. However, the biggest issue is simply the camera's not at the centerpoint of rotation, like the front camera. Rather, it sits out about 3-4" from the drone, which is the point of rotation, so there's a great deal of vibration motion that's very very hard to correct with digital correction. Here's a clip:

Note particularly 1:25 forward... if you look at the horizon just to the right of the sun, up a little so you can see a bit of the mavic legs, and watch as it flies. The mavic moves all over the place, the images stays fixed (mostly).

1:50 is another fun spot to watch. Aim the 360 view straight up so you're looking at the mavic (get as much of the bird in the view as you can), then let it play. Keep in mind that there is no mechanical gimbal that camera is attached to.

Last edited:
The stabilisation can be done in post process without imu data just as well, I’ve tried a plugin for FCP X and it work a treat. Like I said befor if you upload to Facebook they can add stabilisation for free.

Actually no, visual matching algorithms can not do as good a job as frame-by-frame gyro data in this application, because there are far too many smeared frames due to the pivot arm of the camera.

Regardless, post-processing is meaningless for live streaming, which requires real-time correction based on orientation data, much in the same way the AC maintains attitude using the IMU.

I've been very impressed with the first-cut stabilization in the Instan360 and Theta V. It's being refined, and I only expect it to get better. Since I've got the raw video without stabilization applied, I'll upload it to FB and see how their processing compares without gyro data. Should be interesting.

How do you do to take off the drone with the camera at the bottom? I just bought a bottom mount and I´m designing a suitable base made of unicel... but I would like to know what kind of take off pad do you use?

Take off from the hand.

To be honest, and this is kinda for everyone, I started doing take offs and landings restrictely on my hand or my assistants hand.

It’s much cleaner and it tends to impress people around me when I film for events and such. It kinda brings down their shields and sometimes when people start getting really into it, I do a few take offs from peoples hands.

What do you guys think?

Btw I appreciate the continuous input on this thread. I’m still struggling getting smooth footage, but I keep getting pushed by some of the videos I see you guys post.

Thanks,
RickyMavic

Reactions: FrankSniper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
devilsown