DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Erratic flight characteristics. What needs calibration?

Exactly the same here. Took off indoors in atti mode. No response from RH stick and aircraft started drifting to the left. Then suddenly RH stick started working and aircraft shot to the right and collided with a wall.
I'm used to flying ATTI with my I1 and having full control on takeoff.
Can I just confirm that you should have manual attitude control on takeoff or is it actually designed to auto takeoff with no attitude control until it's high enough?

I received my Mavic on Friday and had a couple of successful flights. Had to update firmware as per instructions once fired up for the first time. Also noticed a tilted horizon on my first flight. Recalibrated gimbal and it was still present so I manually adjusted the gimbal roll to horizontal. My third flight today was on a golf course. I flew from green to tee in GPS mode about 450 yds away and turned around. With 16-17 satellites indicated, I lost gps and went into atti mode. The mavic is out of sight due to the curve of the golf hole. Mavic starts drifting towards the trees to it's right. Full left stick to get away from trees only neutralized the drift. I instinctively climbed to get above the danger and sort it out. I regained GPS mode with 16+ satellites. When I pointed the Mavic in my direction and started forward flight, it drifted right again. I let go of the sticks and it's still clearly drifting right. I'm above the trees now so out of danger of hitting anything. I flew back to my location with 100% forward and 40% left stick input in order to just fly straight. The wind was below 5mph and oddly blowing the opposite direction of the aircrafts deviation. It was basically turning into the wind. I got it back to my location and hovered. Turned around to visually inspect the flight characteristics vs. control inputs. I flew it directly away from me with only forward stick input and it pulled to the right unable to fly in a straight line. All while in GPS mode with 16+ satellites. I own a PV2+ and haven't had any issues like this before. Is it a simple compass calibration or IMU calibration. Just thought I'd run it by the pilots with more seat time than me.
Thanks for the help,
Erik

I have had my Mavic for about a year now, and I haven’t discovered the tilted horizon problem until just a few months ago! Same with the drifting problem! I had full control of aircraft and I started to bring it down to land and it started tilting towards me. I was able to sidestep out of the way before it collided with some rose bushes behind me (low altitude). I still had no idea what had happened! I would definitely like to get to the bottom of this. Hopefully someone else has a better answer to why this is a (probably common) problem!

Also note entering ATTI mode doesn't automatically mean you lost GPS. Its usually magnetic or compass interference tripping it not the lack of a GPS fix.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hiinthesky