DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA ~ Recreational Drone Flying Aeronautical Test Moves Forward

The FAA could contract with private testing centers that already exist throughout the U.S. These centers administer a wide variety of online tests. The applicant must visit the center in person, have his identity confirmed via government ID, and sit and take the test on one of the center’s computers. The expense would be borne by the applicant, probably $50 or so.

Mark

The FAA could contract with private testing centers that already exist throughout the U.S. These centers administer a wide variety of online tests. The applicant must visit the center in person, have his identity confirmed via government ID, and sit and take the test on one of the center’s computers. The expense would be borne by the applicant, probably $50 or so.

Mark

I completely agree 100%. Although I don't think this is the process they are intending to use but we won't know until more details are released.

I dont like the idea of having to pay $150 for a test. Really?????? That fee might be reasonable for a commercial license where you should be able to recoup the cost and right it off but its crazy high for a recreational permit. In my state it cost around $20 to get a driver's license. Cost to get a recreational drone permit should be in same neighborhood NOT $150. Cost of this hobby is already high enough given the cost of a nice drone. Now we are faced with registration fees, data fees for remote-id access and a $150 license fee. I have no doubt there will be additional cost given government involvement (other taxes and fees). I for one am NOT willing to pay out the *** to fly a drone. Im ok with some sort of online exam for a reasonable fee but $150 is not reasonable for a recreational license, not when a drivers license cost about $20.

Just like people have to be licensed to drive, there will always be people who break rules and behave recklessly.
Flying a drone needs licencing, true. Safety testing, etc.
The balance of making the testing accessible to the average literate adult and not so inaccessible that drones have to be excessively priced to compensate for the lost business is something to consider.
If the industry wants exclusivity and makes the testing too difficult or requires schooling to take the tests, drones could increase in cost quite a bit. Today's $1400 drone may go up to $3500 just to cover the cost of the lost market.
People need to be tested and regulations are necessary. Safety is key. Why allow a 15 year old kid fly when it's in a child's nature to take risks.

Reading through so many who think using a drone should be as rigid as flying a commercial passenger plane is a bit much.

Just like people have to be licensed to drive, there will always be people who break rules and behave recklessly.
Flying a drone needs licencing, true. Safety testing, etc.
The balance of making the testing accessible to the average literate adult and not so inaccessible that drones have to be excessively priced to compensate for the lost business is something to consider.
If the industry wants exclusivity and makes the testing too difficult or requires schooling to take the tests, drones could increase in cost quite a bit. Today's $1400 drone may go up to $3500 just to cover the cost of the lost market.
People need to be tested and regulations are necessary. Safety is key. Why allow a 15 year old kid fly when it's in a child's nature to take risks.

Reading through so many who think using a drone should be as rigid as flying a commercial passenger plane is a bit much.
I dont think the recreational industry would survive a doubling in drone pricing. They are already pressing the limits. An attempt to do so would most likely kill the recreational use of drones.

Reactions: badaxed
For the record I'm a aviator as well. Have been for decades now. My AGENDA is to try and restrict or at least minimize any UAS to MANNED AIRCRAFT incidents. How is that so hard to believe?

You're entitled to your opinion but physics doesn't agree with it. Did you see the Univ test on the Mooney wing with a Phantom? If everything else is the same I'd much rather have a semi soft (compressible) bird strike my aircraft than a semi rigid (in-compressible) UAS.

This is roughly 4 minutes but well worth watching in it's entirety IMHO:
For the record I'm a aviator as well. Have been for decades now. My AGENDA is to try and restrict or at least minimize any UAS to MANNED AIRCRAFT incidents. How is that so hard to believe?

You're entitled to your opinion but physics doesn't agree with it. Did you see the Univ test on the Mooney wing with a Phantom? If everything else is the same I'd much rather have a semi soft (compressible) bird strike my aircraft than a semi rigid (in-compressible) UAS.

This is roughly 4 minutes but well worth watching in it's entirety IMHO:
How many of these incidents have been recorded ? just asking. All looks bad on paper.

How many of these incidents have been recorded ? just asking. All looks bad on paper.

What is an "Acceptable" #? We have been very lucky up to this point but I'm curious to know what is an acceptable # of "incidents" and at what # would it be mandatory to invoke harsh and very restrictive regulations?

For the record, I am only aware of (1) USA manned aircraft to UAS that was confirmed, caused damage, and disrupted air service.

Reactions: Thomas B and sar104
I dont think the recreational industry would survive a doubling in drone pricing. They are already pressing the limits. An attempt to do so would most likely kill the recreational use of drones.
Well,you need to think about that one for a min. I would hazard to guess that a large majority of drones that are out and about are not regerstered with the FAA and are flown by 15 year old kids. I think it is pretty snooty of us to think that we, who spend money and bother to reg. are any more entitled to enjoy the hobby, sport , business or whatever. Frankly I think we are being regulated to death. If I had the spare change and thought that the mini had a camera equal to the MA , I would jump on it . I am a responsable opperator and am very concous of safety, but Im getting real tired of being told where and when I can fly. LAANC is a joke unless you live near a major hub. I have no way to get authorization to fly and im tired of a $1000 drone sitting on the ground because of some rediculous regulation. I dont fly to see how high or how far I can go, I just take pictures. Also, I cant spell.

I am curious for all of those that took the time to respond and voice their concerns on this forum... Have all of you also voiced your concerns to the FAA? That is the only way this new set of regulations may get tamed down a bit. Please make sure you make it known to the FAA how you feel about the current proposal!

Federal Register :: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems

Well,you need to think about that one for a min. I would hazard to guess that a large majority of drones that are out and about are not regerstered with the FAA and are flown by 15 year old kids. I think it is pretty snooty of us to think that we, who spend money and bother to reg. are any more entitled to enjoy the hobby, sport , business or whatever. Frankly I think we are being regulated to death. If I had the spare change and thought that the mini had a camera equal to the MA , I would jump on it . I am a responsable opperator and am very concous of safety, but Im getting real tired of being told where and when I can fly. LAANC is a joke unless you live near a major hub. I have no way to get authorization to fly and im tired of a $1000 drone sitting on the ground because of some rediculous regulation. I dont fly to see how high or how far I can go, I just take pictures. Also, I cant spell.

Why can't you get authorization to fly?

I think many are still confusing LAANC authorization, which applies only to controlled airspace, and DJI Geofencing which does try to parallel to LAANC and FAA facilities map, but also considers NOTAMs/TFRs and also runway approach paths for airports not having controlled airspace. DJI may be a bit overreaching for the airport runways outside of controlled airspace, but it is a potential risk with the clueless.
The only problem I have with LAANC is some areas, particularly runway approaches are too strict when a few miles away from the runway, but that isn't what physically stops you from flying. LAANC should also take TFR/NOTAMs into account.

As for the recreational test fees, there's nothing I'm aware of saying anything yet about the recreational test. The recent announcement about test procedures were for commercial pilot (including part 107) and aircraft mechanic cert tests.

Last edited:
Why can't you get authorization to fly?
We have , whatr by most standards, would be considered a small International airport thyat dose not support LAANC. Cannot fly within five miles. Maybe I am hoplessly stupid, but I know of no other way to get authorization. DJI says, "Cannot take off". Please tell me if there is a way to get around this. 30 min of flying time at 50 feet , three miles from the airport would be nice . Lots of interesting photo opps.

I am curious for all of those that took the time to respond and voice their concerns on this forum... Have all of you also voiced your concerns to the FAA? That is the only way this new set of regulations may get tamed down a bit. Please make sure you make it known to the FAA how you feel about the current proposal!

Federal Register :: Remote Identification of Unmanned Aircraft Systems
Did that. Told them that they were wasting time and tax money.

We have , whatr by most standards, would be considered a small International airport thyat dose not support LAANC. Cannot fly within five miles. Maybe I am hoplessly stupid, but I know of no other way to get authorization. DJI says, "Cannot take off". Please tell me if there is a way to get around this. 30 min of flying time at 50 feet , three miles from the airport would be nice . Lots of interesting photo opps.

There is no "5-mile rule" anymore, so presumably you are in controlled airspace, requiring FAA authorization. If LAANC isn't active then you get that from the FAA DroneZone dashboard.

DJI "Cannot take off" is a different issue. What class of geo zone are you in?

Reactions: Thomas B
There is no "5-mile rule" anymore, so presumably you are in controlled airspace, requiring FAA authorization. If LAANC isn't active then you get that from the FAA DroneZone dashboard.

DJI "Cannot take off" is a different issue. What class of geo zone are you in?
This really gets confusing for old guys. Aparently there is a restricted zone that extends ,what looks to be, a mile or so from thye county jail. this buts up , almost , with the restricted zone from the airport (KBLI). I have not tried to launch from this area for several months and ,possably something has changed. I guess , at least at that time ,I have been dealing with overlapping zones on the boundry of class d airspace. Maybe I should strap a brownie star flash to my fake phantom and go after it. Just want to photograph some more old bridge's , creeks and abandoned cement plant.:mad:

I don't want to sound conspiracy nut but throughout the US, some of the vast open lands sit atop underground government facilities and in some locations regulations may be to prevent photo or video making its way mainstream. Things like this do not make me in support or denial of increasing regulations; it just provides another perspective.
Example

Last edited by a moderator:
This really gets confusing for old guys. Aparently there is a restricted zone that extends ,what looks to be, a mile or so from thye county jail. this buts up , almost , with the restricted zone from the airport (KBLI). I have not tried to launch from this area for several months and ,possably something has changed. I guess , at least at that time ,I have been dealing with overlapping zones on the boundry of class d airspace. Maybe I should strap a brownie star flash to my fake phantom and go after it. Just want to photograph some more old bridge's , creeks and abandoned cement plant.:mad:

I'm not sure what you are looking at. KBLI has a restricted zone over the airport (red - custom unlock needed), altitude zones on the runway extended center lines (grey - altitude limits) and an authorization zone approximately equivalent to the Class D airspace (blue - self-unlockable with or without FAA authorization). There are also a few very small restricted zones associated with jails, but those basically just cover the premises themselves - they don't extend beyond.

1580080630296.jpeg

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cht6688