DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA

So just to update everyone..I have not received another call and haven't received anything in the mail as of today 9/29.

I hope it is all we need is the FAA to start calling us all...

I have had a few facebookers whine about some of my photos and say over 400 feet and the are going to tell on me. It’s lame and childish. Although I haven’t gotten any calls.
Lol
Yes silly, lame and childish.
RULES.

This seems fishy. I've never felt "freaked out." It's hard to when you follow the rules.

The requirement is not to obtain permission, it's that you only inform them of your flight. If they are n putting you through to the people in charge of their helipad (who would know what the FAA is and why you are calling), then that is on them.
107 = Obtain permission
AMA = Inform

107 = Obtain permission
AMA = Inform

That's a bit misleading. Under Part 107 you only require a waiver or authorization to fly in controlled airspace. You don't need permission of any kind to fly in the vicinity of an airport if you are not in controlled airspace.

Reactions: wsteele
That's a bit misleading. Under Part 107 you only require a waiver or authorization to fly in controlled airspace. You don't need permission of any kind to fly in the vicinity of an airport if you are not in controlled airspace.

That's what I was referring to when the above stated you only had to inform. If your 107 and the heliport is in controlled airspace, then you request not inform.. Their statement should mention something about the class of airspace, it makes a difference.

Not really sure....so if you lose it the FAA can come looking for you maybe? I think you MUST register it if you plan to fly under a Part 107 license.

LP

I am in the US. What are the benefits or disadvantages to registering your Mavic?

The pros and cons are the same. Makes it easier for anyone to positively ID owner of lost or crashed drone. Of course, hobbyist can also put contact info on label on drone and not involve the federal government and end up in about same place.

I am in the US. What are the benefits or disadvantages to registering your Mavic?

I laminated my reg and carry it with me. It made clearing up a noise complaint from a cranky neighbor with the local constabulary go a little quicker I think. Police and others in authority like official pieces of paper. We know having a reg from the FAA isn't required or grant magical powers, but I think it's worth having.

Reactions: L.L.
I laminated my reg and carry it with me. It made clearing up a noise complaint from a cranky neighbor with the local constabulary go a little quicker I think. Police and others in authority like official pieces of paper. We know having a reg from the FAA isn't required or grant magical powers, but I think it's worth having.

I will second Flyguy's post. Although registration is not required, voluntarily registering and having the official documents can help with the perception of your intent. In a case where having to deal with authorities, it could help with how the police and others view the situation (ie. whether they view you as some random person intentionally breaking the law or someone who understands the process and wants to go above and beyond the requirements). Ymmv

Reactions: FlyGuy8675309
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02