DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

FAA

I will second Flyguy's post. Although registration is not required, voluntarily registering and having the official documents can help with the perception of your intent. In a case where having to deal with authorities, it could help with how the police and others view the situation (ie. whether they view you as some random person intentionally breaking the law or someone who understands the process and wants to go above and beyond the requirements). Ymmv

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Reactions: wsteele
I laminated my reg and carry it with me...

If you want to get fancy, why not carry laminated AMA membership card because then you can say “I am operating in accordance with community based hobbyist guidelines promulgated by the AMA as authorized by Congress and the FAA and here is my membership card.”

If your flight is made under Part 107 the aircraft must be registered and marked with the registration number; you must also have your Airman Certificate in your possession while you act as pilot-in-command.

Current Oregon state law can make it interesting for a person with a difficult property owner if you fly over their property (let’s assume you are transiting the area, or on departure or approach, not hovering over their property). As with most laws it can be a long read...but essentially if you have flown over their property before, and been informed by them they don’t want you doing that they can (under ORS 837.380) bring civil action against you for trespass by an unmanned aerial system.

But....(ORS 837.380 (3)) A person may not bring an action under this section if the unmanned aircraft system is operated for commercial purposes in compliance with authorization granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Hence a Part 107 flight with a registered aircraft provides a measure of protection in this circumstance.

Last edited:
I received an email today from the Sultan of Dubai! It turns out that I had a relative that recently died (that I was unaware of), and I inherited a LOT of money (so go me!).

All I have to do is WesternUnion $10,000 to a tax clearance agent in Nigeria (because evidently they are involved in Dubai's tax code and need it in advance to release the funds).

Sensing that it might not be legit, I replied with my Social Security Number, DoB, and current mailing address, so the sender could verify my identity. He responded confirming that I was indeed the beneficiary, and requested all of my banking information. Knowing now that it wasn't a mistake, I sent it over, but it turns out that since it was a joint account he needed all of my wife's info too. I had to send that over or the transfer could possibly be rejected! Now I just send the $10K and wait!

I'm so excited! After all, the message came directly from the Sultan of Dubai, and no known technology exists where someone could claim to be someone they're not...

:rolleyes:

Congratulations! How does your good fortune contribute to this thread? You seem like a troll to me.

Yes, I get it....just kidding. :rolleyes:
LP

FAA sometimes reach out to drone operators and just ask them if they know the local laws.
Say What?!?! I worked for 30 years for another "Govt. agency", and trust me, we 1-Never called anyone to quiz them about laws. 2-Never called anyone period, unless they contacted us first and we were working with them on a certain issue. We NEVER instigated phone contact. We sent mail, and if it was important, it was Certified Mail.

If your flight is made under Part 107 the aircraft must be registered and marked with the registration number; you must also have your Airman Certificate in your possession while you act as pilot-in-command.

Current Oregon state law can make it interesting for a person with a difficult property owner if you fly over their property (let’s assume you are transiting the area, or on departure or approach, not hovering over their property). As with most laws it can be a long read...but essentially if you have flown over their property before, and been informed by them they don’t want you doing that they can (under ORS 837.380) bring civil action against you for trespass by an unmanned aerial system.

But....(ORS 837.380 (3)) A person may not bring an action under this section if the unmanned aircraft system is operated for commercial purposes in compliance with authorization granted by the Federal Aviation Administration.

Hence a Part 107 flight with a registered aircraft provides a measure of protection in this circumstance.

Oregon law also says that property owner can sue drone operator for punitive damages plus attorney fees. This is good example of how the AMA guidelines are very important but compliance with them does not immunize anyone from prosecution under state and local laws governing nuisance, trespass, invasion of privacy, etc.

Sheesh - didn't take long for this thread to go OT and sideways. :rolleyes:

The FAA called me and I'm kind of freaking out a little. They did not leave a message, I tried calling back and the call will not go through.

Should I be concerned?
That is a spam call. Federal agencies don't make calls to individuals - the other way around - sure.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM