DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fan Noise Normal?

SabrToothSqrl

Reactions
I crashed my Air2 a few weeks ago. Stupid lack of side sensors... anyway, flown lots and lots and never had an issue before that. It's always when you're doing the simple stuff that it seems to go sideways.

Did the Refresh thing, since I bought that.

The new one they sent me, the fan sounds like it's dying or sick or not right. DJI says it's 'normal'. and to send it in if I'm having issues... to which they would just tell me it's normal I'm sure.

Is it though? I had my last one for 8 months+ and hundreds of flights, and it never sounded like this.

If it's normal, fine, but being blown off by DJI doesn't feel right...

at higher speeds, the fan sounds normal, it seems to be only when it's at low speeds, but I assure you over many flights and months, my last one never sounded like this...

I think I'm out of Refresh and warranty this spring, so I don't want to be stuck with a dud that will give me issues when summer hits.

thanks!

Higher speed fan test

if it was my product, I'd think the bearings in the fan were compromised.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1TenaciousG
something else I just noticed, when trying to descend, (not moving horizontally at all) it's max speed is like 1-2 MPH in any mode. (within 20' of ground) then it wants to stop descending like 10' off the ground, when it finally says landing it lowers, lowers, lowers, then slammed into the ground! Does landing give up at some point? I thought my battery was going to die it took so long to come... DOWN...

my old one never did this! I'm going to try again tomorrow and really hope it was a low light issue, but I swear it's never been an issue before...

thanks. I feel like my first one was amazing, and now I have a dud.

something else I just noticed, when trying to descend, (not moving horizontally at all) it's max speed is like 1-2 MPH in any mode. (within 20' of ground) then it wants to stop descending like 10' off the ground, when it finally says landing it lowers, lowers, lowers, then slammed into the ground! Does landing give up at some point? I thought my battery was going to die it took so long to come... DOWN...

my old one never did this! I'm going to try again tomorrow and really hope it was a low light issue, but I swear it's never been an issue before...

thanks. I feel like my first one was amazing, and now I have a dud.
Only you know and maybe send it back to DJI. They will look at the logs (BTW, which you can post for crazy flight stuff) and drone to determine whether to replace that one. Very well could have been drop kicked many times after it left DJI coming to you by the "gorilla gang" of UPS / FedEx / USPS. Even packed well, something could have come lose as @Phantomrain.org mentioned; so strictly your call to return and hope DJI does right and gives you a good drone.

I crashed my Air2 a few weeks ago. Stupid lack of side sensors... anyway, flown lots and lots and never had an issue before that. It's always when you're doing the simple stuff that it seems to go sideways.

Did the Refresh thing, since I bought that.

The new one they sent me, the fan sounds like it's dying or sick or not right. DJI says it's 'normal'. and to send it in if I'm having issues... to which they would just tell me it's normal I'm sure.

Is it though? I had my last one for 8 months+ and hundreds of flights, and it never sounded like this.

If it's normal, fine, but being blown off by DJI doesn't feel right...

at higher speeds, the fan sounds normal, it seems to be only when it's at low speeds, but I assure you over many flights and months, my last one never sounded like this...

I think I'm out of Refresh and warranty this spring, so I don't want to be stuck with a dud that will give me issues when summer hits.

thanks!

Higher speed fan test

if it was my product, I'd think the bearings in the fan were compromised.
Definitely not functioning correctly. I have an air2 and you can barely hear the fan

Reactions: 1TenaciousG
Do the logs show what controls I'm inputting? today when flying I was 20-50' off the ground, and it would NOT descend any faster than 1-2 MPH. absolutely infuriating.

So, DJI asked me to do a camera calibration, never had to on my last one. But, I did the compass, IMU, and camera one best I could with the short USBA--USBC cable they provide. I have a longer USBC to USBC, but the app doesn't work on Mac OS 12... ugh. so had to dig out my old laptop, which of course does not have USBC.

So far, it seems to work better, but that was just one flight.

I have a longer USBA to USBC coming Friday, I'll redo the calibration then as well, just to know I did the best I could with it...

Last edited:
Definitely not functioning correctly. I have an air2 and you can barely hear the fan
Same here. Barely noticeable, and no variation in sound when you move/tilt it. My first Air 2, had a defective cooling fan, that only engaged randomly, causing the processor to overheat. Only flew it twice, within close/catchable proximity, realized the issue, and returned it. The replacement that they sent has been impeccable, so far.
To the Author, send it back, and avoid later misery, Brother.

Even after both videos, DJI says it's normal, but I have a case number, and they are sending me a shipping label. Ugh. can't wait to hear how they get it and it's normal. But I still have 1 flyaway/refresh left until March. Fingers crossed! lol

DJI replaced the $11 fan and $65 labor under warranty. Would have been nice to not have tech support tell me it was normal first... UPS says it will be here... someday...

Got the drone back, and even after 2 sensor configs and compass, etc. No dice. The fan noise is much better but it still won't descend properly. It lowers at the normal 6-7 MPH, then, even if it's 150' up it slows to 4 MPH down. I let off the stick, push it down, and still does like 2-3 MPH down. at 150 FEET UP. All the way down to 10', at speeds that are so slow I'm dying.
then says 'landing' when it's still 6' off the ground, then slams into the ground.

I flat out told them it was a dud. I had this won't descend issue day 1. Fan issue day 1. Loved my first drone from them. Tired of this dud. I paid for a working drone, and yes crashed it, but paid for Refresh. I want another one. Nothing short of that. It didn't work day 1, it didn't work after 'repair'.

Now it's back shipping to TX AGAIN while I lose days of refresh. Tired of this. They had me submit logs, and it shows exactly how it was flying. I already sent it in, but can I pull the sync'd logs from the phone or website? I'd like something that shows me what controls I'm using on the remote, at the same time, so I can prove to me what's occurring.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pilot74sparki