DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

fast decent rate?

serpa4

Reactions
How fast can you decent before it becomes unstable? I flew pretty high today up a mountain and the decent took forever. I'm flying an old firmware.

I was wondering if anyone has changed their decent rates and if so, what numbers did you use? 5m/sec etc.

Learn the toilet bowl roll for fast descents. While the Mavic is not prone to VRS (vortex ring state), I have seen mine wobble a bit during a straight vertical drop. The toilet bowl move keeps it out of its own wash (as stated above).

Learn the toilet bowl roll for fast descents. While the Mavic is not prone to VRS (vortex ring state), I have seen mine wobble a bit during a straight vertical drop. The toilet bowl move keeps it out of its own wash (as stated above).

Believe it or not, descending at fast rate Mavic seems to be more stable than at slower rates. It kinda looks just parachuting down. Maybe it's because the body drag increases and the load on the props decreases?

Went up pretty high this night...
Spiraling down does come down slightly faster than straight down. Was giving it 100% rudder and about 40% forward and full down. Not a whole lot faster, but was little faster.

DJI used a 16 bit signed value for height, so the range is -3276.8 to + 3276.8m. It counts back to zero as you approach 6553.5m.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
how do you change decent rate, mine on sport mode decent rate is at 3 m/s

Impressive .... but also very lucky!
The "lucky" bit??
If he'd lost controller connection at that height, he'd never have been able to cut the motors and save the battery for a successful return.

Maybe after RTH came down 1000 feet he'd get control back?
But RTH would run the motors for the flight back down until the Mavic just switched off totally with a dead battery ... long before you could guarantee getting back connection, and definitely with too little battery for a successful return.

But RTH would run the motors for the flight back down until the Mavic just switched off totally with a dead battery ... long before you could guarantee getting back connection, and definitely with too little battery for a successful return.

If lost signal behavior is set to RTH, not hover, then the signal should be regained after a short descent, with minimal battery loss, because Mavic will stop ascending immediately after the signal is lost. He can then do CSC, freefall, and do CSC again to land.

If lost signal behavior is set to RTH, not hover, then the signal should be regained after a short descent, with minimal battery loss, because Mavic will stop ascending immediately after the signal is lost. He can then do CSC, freefall, and do CSC again to land.
There was bugger-all battery when he did cut the motors! Zero margin for any error.
He was also lucky that the wind didn't take him further from home that would have resulted in him not getting home.

There was bugger-all battery when he did cut the motors! Zero margin for any error.
He was also lucky that the wind didn't take him further from home that would have resulted in him not getting home.

He knows what's he's doing and willing to take risks. Just like us jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and wuffos calling us crazy. :D

Reactions: rickw
He knows what's he's doing and willing to take risks. Just like us jumping out of a perfectly good airplane and wuffos calling us crazy. :D
Stopped falling out of planes 40 years ago. Flew them whilst others jumped, for a couple of years.
Off Millau Bridge was the last escapade of stupidity about 12 years ago. At least I wasn't the one that got nabbed. ;)
Back to the topic. Even with silly sports, I have backup and a margin for error, etc ... he had none.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
Stopped falling out of planes 40 years ago. Flew them whilst others jumped, for a couple of years.
Off Millau Bridge was the last escapade of stupidity about 12 years ago. At least I wasn't the one that got nabbed. ;)
Back to the topic. Even with silly sports, I have backup and a margin for error, etc ... he had none.

Never too late to come back. Flying wingsuit in the mountains in the best thing in the world! Now in winter months when I don't jump I fly my Mavic fast and low with Goggles and get similar rush.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deepdark