DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Few things going on - related?? Normal?

JakeO

Reactions
I am in day 3 with my mavic and after 6 flights I am convinced I have the same problem. It moves up and down up to a foot and drifts all on its own side to side a bit up to 1-2 ft. It isn't holding firm and we are talking about no wind conditions. I have been calibrating compass every other flight just to see if it helps and also scared to find out what happens if it isn't calibrated correctly :)

Also sometimes when return to home the bird wont decend and just hovers up high few hundred ft above landing spot and I have to manually decend and then it starts doing the landing. This has happened twice for sure and both times it was dark outside.

The last thing is the return to home. It usually is like 3-4 ft from take off spot in a variety of conditions and take off spots. This may be normal or expected behavior ? I thought this thing mg was suppose to be more precise and even took a photo of the ground after launch to help with accurate RTH.

Did you calibrate the IMU?

Reactions: Cheongbentong
Did you calibrate the IMU?

I did not calibrate the IMU. I never was prompted to do so and read so many scary things about imu calibration :)

I guess I would if people thought it sounds connected to my problems. I will do tomorrow and report back. Anyone else have similar problems and resolve by imu calibration?

There's nothing scary about it. Just follow the instructions in the video above. And, when it mentions to place your Mavic on a level surface, you should use a level to ensure the surface is actually level.

Well I did the IMU calibration this morning and a joystick calibration. The mavic is still drifting and no change!! I am at a loss as it is drifting low to the ground like 4-5ft up and also like 15 ft up. Moves side to side and drifts in a single direction as much as 5 ft!!

Also moves up or down up a foot..

Are you sure you did the IMU calibration properly? Did you check the surface with a level and ensure nothing disturbed it (e.g. vibrations from people walking on the floor) while the calibration was running?

Did you try reviewing any of your flight logs to see if they revealed any possible issues? You can upload and view your TXT flight logs here.

While movement like this is probably not firmware related, you could try doing a factory reset in the DJI Assistant 2 application. If needed, you can download that application from the Mavic downloads page.

Last edited:
Ok I think I resolved it, although only a quick confirmation test. I figured this all could be related to downward sensors. Updates n physical inspection both of them had this dirty film spread over the two tiny sensors which I am sure would impact quality of the image/sensor. I cleaned them carefully. I also did a sensor calibration via the DJI assistant with my computer. After both those steps I did a quick flight and sure enough no drift. Also ironically but my tripod mode was available as a flight option which has been very flakey and mostly never showing up for me.

I did do the IMU calibration correctly and even found a level for the floor I did it on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan