DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Filter Sources...

tomnjfl

Reactions
Anyone know of a place that has PolarPro filters in stock? Seems like they're impossible to find :(

In the meantime I'm considering the TacoRC filters, but I like that the PolarPro are also polarized, and I don't think the TacoRC's are.

Anyway, have a trip coming up in about a week and thought I'd try to snag some first.

Reactions: shuddee
Ordered mine at helipad.com.
Should arrive in a couple of days.
Polar Pro Cinema Series VIVID Collection for DJI Mavic (3 Filter (PolarPro-FilterSet-MVC-CS-VIVID) = USD $79.99

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Can't polarized be really bad for video?

Not sure. to be honest. I'm no expert by any means. Based on some sample videos I've seen on YouTube and on here it seems to work just fine. Particularly good when you're filming clouds, water, or over snow covered ground.

Not sure. to be honest. I'm no expert by any means. Based on some sample videos I've seen on YouTube and on here it seems to work just fine. Particularly good when you're filming clouds, water, or over snow covered ground.

Believe there was a post somewhere that mentioned when yawing it can make the video look worst due to different light angles or something like that. Not to mention you have to get the polarization correct by turning the filter when it's on the gimbal

Believe there was a post somewhere that mentioned when yawing it can make the video look worst due to different light angles or something like that. Not to mention you have to get the polarization correct by turning the filter when it's on the gimbal

Correct which almost impossible to do if your not focused on shooting a particular altitude, angle, subject, ... and are moving / flying around. Unless you have a specific shoot your trying to compose seems like to much PIA for a casual videographer. For most I would skip the polarizers if cost is an issue. I hear you on the DJI, need to fly mine more to agree with not needing a ND32. But they are light and inexpensive and guarantee not to mess with your gimble.

hmmm, valid point. I know that I hate having to constantly turn the CPL on my SLR camera, but sometimes it's worth it for the results. Obviously it's much easier on an SLR that's in your hands compared to a drone up in the air.

Is there a technical reason why a polarizing filter can't just be "straight", for lack of a better word? Like sunglasses for example. I have polarized sunglasses that clearly have a excellent effect, but they're stationary...there is no option to change the angle.

Correct which almost impossible to do if your not focused on shooting a particular altitude, angle, subject, ... and are moving / flying around. Unless you have a specific shoot your trying to compose seems like to much PIA for a casual videographer. For most I would skip the polarizers if cost is an issue. I hear you on the DJI, need to fly mine more to agree with not needing a ND32. But they are light and inexpensive and guarantee not to mess with your gimble.

Yeah that's why I went with the TACO ones the weight is right in between DJI and polarpro, and haven't read a negative complaint yet. Not to mention they are one of the few that offer ND64 which I might need for the beach

hmmm, valid point. I know that I hate having to constantly turn the CPL on my SLR camera, but sometimes it's worth it for the results. Obviously it's much easier on an SLR that's in your hands compared to a drone up in the air.

Is there a technical reason why a polarizing filter can't just be "straight", for lack of a better word? Like sunglasses for example. I have polarized sunglasses that clearly have a excellent effect, but they're stationary...there is no option to change the angle.

But sunglasses aren't straight either, they are only straight because of the hinges and arms and since most peoples ears don't move they appear to be "straight." But one of the tests to see if they are actually polarized is to turn them sideways and look at an LCD screen, you'll notice the polarization changes.

I guess if you get a polarize filter and get to rotation perfect you can always mark the top/bottom to align with the gimbal for easier equipping and unequipping

There are two basic types of polarization, circular (which isn't used in cameras) and linear polarizers. Linear occurs in a straight line. Think of a light wave as being flat and either aligned with the linear filter so it passes through or not aligned so it becomes blocked (basically). Light is generally scattered, but reflected light in a glare / shiney area takes on an orientation (flatness) that can be blocked when a polarizing filter is properly oriented. Not properly oriented and you see no real difference or other weird blocking effects.

[quote uid=974 name="dmyers7" post=105732]Buy the DJI filters instead for $35. Better value for many reasons.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots[/QUOTE]<br /><br />DJI filters only go up to 16 and on a semi sunny spring day that was not enough, can only imagine it at the beach or during the summer

I've just come back from Tenerife and dji filters were fantastic the 16 was great in sunny blue skies . Also the fit is fantastic and removing them is so easy , no gimbal strain .
I've read lots of posts from people recommending that any after market filters should be put on after start up even if they don't interfere with calibration as the weight will put a strain on the very fragile gimbal motors .
I don't understand why any one would avoid the dji ones now that they have been released . They may look cheap but I'd imagine it's all to do with weight and tolerances of gimbal motors . It's a shame they don't do a 32 but I'll give up that for a product that won't possibly damage my drone . I beleive but not certain that they are a third of the weight of some

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app

[quote uid=974 name="dmyers7" post=105732]Buy the DJI filters instead for $35. Better value for many reasons.<br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
<br /><br />DJI filters only go up to 16 and on a semi sunny spring day that was not enough, can only imagine it at the beach or during the summer

I've just come back from Tenerife and dji filters were fantastic the 16 was great in sunny blue skies . Also the fit is fantastic and removing them is so easy , no gimbal strain .
I've read lots of posts from people recommending that any after market filters should be put on after start up even if they don't interfere with calibration as the weight will put a strain on the very fragile gimbal motors .
I don't understand why any one would avoid the dji ones now that they have been released . They may look cheap but I'd imagine it's all to do with weight and tolerances of gimbal motors . It's a shame they don't do a 32 but I'll give up that for a product that won't possibly damage my drone . I beleive but not certain that they are a third of the weight of some

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app[/QUOTE]

you were able to get down to 2x the shutter speed with 16?

I don't think people are trying to intentionally avoid them, but for something that takes at least 20-30 days to ship and shipping costs 1/3 the price it's not as enticing as other options already available and tested on the market

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78