DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Firmware v01.00.0510 EXIF altitude changes

I agree 100% but nobody ever addresses the exception. As in my case: scaling a mountainside (stying below 400 feet on the way up)

There would be no need for an exception if you simply did your flight on the way back down.

The hight limit prevents you from getting to the top.
The height restriction is from the ground. You just need to stay within 400ft AGL. If you have a 100ft hill you can legally fly up to 500ft, 400ft above the top of the hill. Adjust your max altitude setting accordingly.

The height restriction is from the ground. You just need to stay within 400ft AGL. If you have a 100ft hill you can legally fly up to 500ft, 400ft above the top of the hill. Adjust your max altitude setting accordingly.
I can get up to 1600 feet, then I'm restricted. The mountain goes up to 13.000 feet. I'm never more than 200 feet above the slope of the mountain. I had the MP modded to allow this but it was stolen.
At least the Evo II will go twice what the Mavic will so it can't too big a problem for DJI.

Reactions: Camino Ken
I can get up to 1600 feet, then I'm restricted. The mountain goes up to 13.000 feet. I'm never more than 200 feet above the slope of the mountain. I had the MP modded to allow this but it was stolen.
At least the Evo II will go twice what the Mavic will so it can't too big a problem for DJI.
Are flying up to 1600 ft up the side of the mountain from the bottom? If so, then that will be an issue. One thing I have seen work is to land it about 1500 ft up the side of the mountain and then takeoff again and you can go an additional 1600ft. I know, a bit of a pain.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Are flying up to 1600 ft up the side of the mountain from the bottom? If so, then that will be an issue. One thing I have seen work is to land it about 1500 ft up the side of the mountain and then takeoff again and you can go an additional 1600ft. I know, a bit of a pain.
Rinse and repeat, as often as necessary! ? Serial landings and takeoffs will get you as high as you want, as long as you can retain LOS signal at each landing site on the way up, to keep restarting the motors.

Extremely steep terrain and nowhere to land. Been trying for a year now. What I need is a hack.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

Extremely steep terrain and nowhere to land. Been trying for a year now. What I need is a hack.
Thanks for the suggestions though.

I don't think anyone has managed hack for the M2. The other thing to keep in mind is that there is not much point focusing on the fact that such a flight is compliant with the 400 ft AGL requirement when it is obviously going to be in violation of the VLOS requirement and, if it were to lose connection and enter RTH, way above 400 ft AGL on the return.

Can you elaborate? Are you referring to the FAA 400 ft AGL restriction? If so, are you proposing that there should be no limit, or just a higher limit? I'm also curious why you think that all recreational drone use might be banned, let alone why you would hope that happens.
answer to that problem is very simple and is done on most other software for RC models - a terrain map, and the altitude restriction is enforced relative to the level of the terrain - you can fly 500ft higher than a mt. Everest, if you wish, as long as you still stay under the 500ft from the terrain level. dji is just lazy. it is trivial and terrain files are not that large.

Reactions: sonof40
answer to that problem is very simple and is done on most other software for RC models - a terrain map, and the altitude restriction is enforced relative to the level of the terrain - you can fly 500ft higher than a mt. Everest, if you wish, as long as you still stay under the 500ft from the terrain level. dji is just lazy. it is trivial and terrain files are not that large.

Actually wide-area terrain files are huge if they have any kind of reasonable resolution. Global would be completely unfeasible. Downloading very local regions prior to or during flight might be an option, but would rely on a good data connection. Can you point to any examples of other control software where it is implemented?

Actually wide-area terrain files are huge if they have any kind of reasonable resolution. Global would be completely unfeasible. Downloading very local regions prior to or during flight might be an option, but would rely on a good data connection. Can you point to any examples of other control software where it is implemented?
it is done differently. the map i have now on the plane model we built is for my location - uses 2 front digits from GPS coordinates - N42W072.DAT - and is 868Kb in size. it usually gets uploaded automatically by the ground station software, or i can drop it there, on the sd card.
all that is pretty trivial.
software - ardupilot. ArduPilot Documentation — ArduPilot documentation

it is done differently. the map i have now on the plane model we built is for my location - uses 2 front digits from GPS coordinates - N42W072.DAT - and is 868Kb in size. it usually gets uploaded automatically by the ground station software, or i can drop it there, on the sd card.
all that is pretty trivial.
software - ardupilot. ArduPilot Documentation — ArduPilot documentation

Right - and I'm sure that works great when you know what you are doing and where you are going to fly. I can imagine that working really poorly for the average user who doesn't plan ahead. What's the resolution on that DEM? And presumably it isn't a 1° x 1° area if it is less than 1 MB.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Surprise