DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Crash

Dr.Duct_Mossburg

Reactions
Good Evening!

Got about 15 minutes of fly time with my new Mavic last night. Everything we great and it flew smoothly. As you all know the batteries only come at about 30%. Got them all charged up today and took it out for a flight after I got home from work. As soon as the drone went up it immediately started going in a reverse motion and I wasn't able to stop it before it smacked my house (brick) about 20' behind it. Scuffed up the housing and broke every propeller.

I'm going to do some searching tonight to see what happened but it was disappointing to say the least. Good thing I bought the fly more but it also sucks that I just burnt through all of my propellers in 24 hours.

Was there no response to "Forward" stick? There are no obstable sensors on the rear. You could also disable "Backwards Flight" until you are clear of the house also, and then change it back once in flight.

Correct, No response. I started to go up that way I could clear the house but I was more concerned of the drone falling from 30' if I couldnt get control back so I just let it hit. I was trying to get over to it but I was to far away and had too many obstacles in between us.

Going to order a bunch of extra propellers and a new skin for it.

That's a real bummer and I know the feeling. I had mine inside the house in a narrow hallway practicing forwards and backwards with the camera looking at me. It started to drift and I immediately tried to back out but it contacted the left wall right at the corner and corkscrewed it's way right down to the floor gouging the wall as it went. No serious damage except the 3 propellors. It took a few days to regain my confidence. Not sure exactly what I did, or why I could not avoid the wall. But you just pickup and start again ... after all ... it IS a toy. I keep telling myself.

No flight footage to post. I plan on playing with it tomorrow. I want to get out and capture the sun rising over the property. We're on 30 acres so ill be out in wide open area in the morning so hopefully no issues like this evening. Plan to play with it all morning. All of the batteries are fully charged.

So you're saying that with all that wide open area land available, you hit the only house on 30 acres?

;)

Pretty much. lol Took off too close to the house.

I just recalibrated it and got all of the settings good this time before I took off. User error. Ordered a bunch of propellers just in case. They will be here Sunday. Over priced from Amazon.

Pretty much. lol Took off too close to the house.

I just recalibrated it and got all of the settings good this time before I took off. User error. Ordered a bunch of propellers just in case. They will be here Sunday. Over priced from Amazon.
That sucks dude. FYI order props from B&H, free shipping over $50 and it's next day.

You probably didn't have GPS lock when you took off and you were at ATTI mode. When you are near ground and at ATTI mode, your attitude control authority is very low and you may not not be able to move away from obstacles. I also had similar experience and I almost wrecked it. I think this is a design flaw. DJI should give more attitude control authority near ground @ ATTI mode. The designers probably thought doing so could result in blades contacting the ground. Do not take off in confined area when you don't have GPS lock or GPS reception is intermittent.

Reactions: halley and grizzard
You probably didn't have GPS lock when you took off and you were at ATTI mode. When you are near ground and at ATTI mode, your attitude control authority is very low and you may not not be able to move away from obstacles. I also had similar experience and I almost wrecked it. I think this is a design flaw. DJI should give more attitude control authority near ground @ ATTI mode. The designers probably thought doing so could result in blades contacting the ground. Do not take off in confined area when you don't have GPS lock or GPS reception is intermittent.
Yes .... you also really have to be very aware of where your Home Point is. I took off from my deck in high winds and about a half mile away I got a "Aircraft Disconnected" message. Guess where the Mavic headed when it entered a critical battery stage .... yep, my deck (which has an overhang) and in high winds. That means my Mavic is going to try and descend through the edge of my roof to it's take-off spot in high winds. Not a good situation. When it did head Home and started to descend it "re-connected" and I cancelled RTH and landed in another open spot. Save by the bell. A second time on a 2 mile walk in Active Track I also got a "Aircrafted Disconnected" message and I had just reset the Home Point to be where I was at .... just a few minutes earlier. It disconnected, disregarded my new Home Point and headed back to the original launch ... which was in the middle of a dirt road 1/2 mile back. So yes .... think seriously where your Home Point should be. Now .... when I fly off the deck I descend to a safe location and reset my Home Point there ... just in case!

I've been flying all morning and as I get to know it I think you're right.

I took a flight over to my sisters this morning which is about a mile away. When I was over there I couldnt get the drone to fly more than 3 miles an hour and the right joystick was just overall not responsive. Fortunately I hit the return to home and she came right back. Having a lot of fun getting the hang of things. I'll post up my first video at some point this weekend. It's challenging getting the hang of flight and camera all at once. Great purchase!

Good Evening!

Got about 15 minutes of fly time with my new Mavic last night. Everything we great and it flew smoothly. As you all know the batteries only come at about 30%. Got them all charged up today and took it out for a flight after I got home from work. As soon as the drone went up it immediately started going in a reverse motion and I wasn't able to stop it before it smacked my house (brick) about 20' behind it. Scuffed up the housing and broke every propeller.

I'm going to do some searching tonight to see what happened but it was disappointing to say the least. Good thing I bought the fly more but it also sucks that I just burnt through all of my propellers in 24 hours.
Sorry to hear that. If you post the .dat file we can take a look if you'd like. This is the file downloaded directly from mavic using dji assist. You will need to post it in Dropbox or similar because it may be large. The file will tell us what happened from the time the AC was first turned on.

What area of MD do you live in? I'm also in MD and recognized your flag.

Reactions: stuffonastick
I took a flight over to my sisters this morning which is about a mile away. When I was over there I couldnt get the drone to fly more than 3 miles an hour and the right joystick was just overall not responsive. Fortunately I hit the return to home and she came right back. Having a lot of fun getting the hang of things. I'll post up my first video at some point this weekend. It's challenging getting the hang of flight and camera all at once. Great purchase!
Make sure to calibrate your RC. Also (with wide open space) put the Mavic in sports mode to see if it will fly faster. That disables the optical avoidance. This may have been damaged during your crash, and either turning this off directly, or indirectly using sport mode will determine if the slow speed is OA related.

Sorry to hear that. If you post the .dat file we can take a look if you'd like. This is the file downloaded directly from mavic using dji assist. You will need to post it in Dropbox or similar because it may be large. The file will tell us what happened from the time the AC was first turned on.

What area of MD do you live in? I'm also in MD and recognized your flag.

Southern Anne Arundel County (South of Annapolis), You?

Carroll Co., so also lots of open area. You should be able to get some nice water shots down there. I purchased a getterback just in case, as I plan on flying over water.

Last edited:
Im right off the water. Got some nice footage this morning of the sun coming up but it wasn't shooting 4K and the gimbal coverage was on it... It was my first real voyage.

I just got some fun footage following my brother in law down the road and then flew over to the local school. Had a guy throw a tennis ball at me which I thought was pretty hilarious. lol

That sucks dude. FYI order props from B&H, free shipping over $50 and it's next day.
Are all props the same? Are 3rd party props ok. I found these prices on Amazon: 4 blades from best4sale, by dji for $39.99. Then 2 for $11.00 from drone fans. Both Amazon Prime. Then Creazy has 4 for $8.90 but are "suitable for Mavic". B&H has 2 for $9. Anyway, big price differences per blade. $2.23 to $10.00.

Crew Dog

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998