DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Day with DJI Mini 3 Pro

gliebisch01

Reactions
First day with DJI Mini 3 Pro. Son in law gave it to me to figure out, because he doesn't have the patience. It is new, and has been flown by someone else, but is new to me. I have only flown HolyStone drones. Following the QUICK START video, I have these issues:
1. After I get to the READY to TAKE OFF message, I press the take off button and hold it but nothing happens.
2. It apparently needs a software update, and I don't know if that would prevent it form taking off, but when I try to download software using my iPad, it asks me for a password to the drone. I don't know where to get that password.
3. I don't know if the drone is registered or if that would prevent it from taking off, but on power up it never gives me an opportunity to register, so I assume it's already registered.
4. Tried re pairing controller to drone, but pairing just timed out.
5. Sometimes I get error on controller that controller is not connected to drone, On other attempts I don't get that message, and have green LED on controller left LED, so just assume it IS connected on those instances.
6. I do get motors to move momentarily during start up, but they NEVER start spinning.
7. I have seen these errors: Sensor error, IMU Hardware malfunction. GPS Signature info not found. Gimbal unable to connect. Data Acquisition error. GPS Module not connected. Unable to take off. All of above with drone sitting on ground right next to controller. Tried all start up sequences both indoors and outdoors. Drone shows no evidence of crash or physical damage.
Son in law says he's ready to return it since it's new, gave it to me because at least I have flown 1 drone before.

Reactions: 4006448
1. After I get to the READY to TAKE OFF message, I press the take off button and hold it but nothing happens.
2. It apparently needs a software update, and I don't know if that would prevent it form taking off, but when I try to download software using my iPad, it asks me for a password to the drone. I don't know where to get that password.
3. I don't know if the drone is registered or if that would prevent it from taking off, but on power up it never gives me an opportunity to register, so I assume it's already registered.
5. Sometimes I get error on controller that controller is not connected to drone, On other attempts I don't get that message, and have green LED on controller left LED, so just assume it IS connected on those instances.
6. I do get motors to move momentarily during start up, but they NEVER start spinning.
7. I have seen these errors: Sensor error, IMU Hardware malfunction. GPS Signature info not found. Gimbal unable to connect. Data Acquisition error. GPS Module not connected. Unable to take off. All of above with drone sitting on ground right next to controller. Tried all start up sequences both indoors and outdoors. Drone shows no evidence of crash or physical damage.
Son in law says he's ready to return it since it's new, gave it to me because at least I have flown 1 drone before.
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

1. After I get to the READY to TAKE OFF message, I press the take off button and hold it but nothing happens. Have you tried to manually launch?
2. It apparently needs a software update, and I don't know if that would prevent it form taking off, but when I try to download software using my iPad, it asks me for a password to the drone. I don't know where to get that password. The drone is bound by the prevous owner. You will need to have them unbind it first.
3. I don't know if the drone is registered or if that would prevent it from taking off, but on power up it never gives me an opportunity to register, so I assume it's already registered. This would not prevent the drone from taking off. However, you should register the drone anyway.
4. Tried re pairing controller to drone, but pairing just timed out. It's already paired.
5. Sometimes I get error on controller that controller is not connected to drone, On other attempts I don't get that message, and have green LED on controller left LED, so just assume it IS connected on those instances. Check the cable from the controller to your monitoring device. You may need to replace this.
6. I do get motors to move momentarily during start up, but they NEVER start spinning. What do you mean by moving momentarily. This is very unusual. Do you know if the drone has ever been crashed?

Son in law says he's ready to return it since it's new, gave it to me because at least I have flown 1 drone before. After reading about all the drone's problems, it might be best to return the drone for a replacement

@gliebisch01 firstly welcome to the forum
its quite possible that despite the lack of physical damage being apparent ,that it could have had water ingress at some point which could be causing those errors you mention

Start with making your own DJI account with your own email , and than update it .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain, Land on the Water.

6. I do get motors to move momentarily during start up, but they NEVER start spinning. What do you mean by moving momentarily.

you know. Those little propeller movements when you power on your drone.

First day with DJI Mini 3 Pro. Son in law gave it to me to figure out, because he doesn't have the patience. It is new, and has been flown by someone else, but is new to me. I have only flown HolyStone drones. Following the QUICK START video, I have these issues:
I know this will sound elitist or snotty but I would never buy a used drone unless a return was possible. You are buying a big unknown.

Reactions: shb
I know this will sound elitist or snotty but I would never buy a used drone unless a return was possible. You are buying a big unknown.
OP didn't buy it. He was handed it and is trying to figure it out.

I agree though. If I was buying used I would insist on being able to fly several batteries with it first to try out all the features and make sure it was ok.

OP didn't buy it. He was handed it and is trying to figure it out.

I agree though. If I was buying used I would insist on being able to fly several batteries with it first to try out all the features and make sure it was ok.
We agree! I sold two drones in my experience since starting in 2015. Both were advertised her on the forum, which give me some confidence. I sold one in person to a buyer who drove about an hour to pick it up. I demonstrated its flying capabilities and he inspected it in person(AIR 1) . The Mavic 2 Pro was sold on this forum and my reputation was always on display. I made sure that it was in good shape, which it definitely was.

Reactions: shb

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne