DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Floats???

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Newbie here and I live in a middle of a lake! Litterally out on a peninsula i can throw a rock and hit water on both sides of me- what are the best floats or do I even need them??? I have a M2P and really do not want to loose it? what are your thoughts? My son had a Carma go pro- and it died and went swimming, we did find it 3 weeks later... any suggestions?

Reactions: JackL

Attachments

• IMG_0024.JPG
    IMG_0024.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0030.JPG
    IMG_0030.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
There are pontoons for landing on water but they only work if you're landing on water intentionally. If you were flying and touched the water, they wouldn't help much. The drone would just tumble. I fly over water a lot. So far, I've put just over 100 miles on my MA2 and I bet 40 of those miles was over water. So far, no issues. Doesn't mean I won't dunk it at some point.

Amazed Phantom Rain hasn’t already been all over you.

Last edited:
I just want to find it! a tether that releases when and if hits the water would work fine for me, I just don't want to lose it, My Sons Karma- we walked the area for days! - Actually fished.

Newbie here and I live in a middle of a lake! Litterally out on a peninsula i can throw a rock and hit water on both sides of me- what are the best floats or do I even need them??? I have a M2P and really do not want to loose it? what are your thoughts? My son had a Carma go pro- and it died and went swimming, we did find it 3 weeks later... any suggestions?
be Very careful Not to make the drone topheavy.... the floats Must be spread out for zero chance for a flip while floating.....
with no worry about weight, some R&D will be fun. On my first drone, a big orange Autel, it was easy but REALLY ugly.

Reactions: Deerfield
No you don't need them and the best suggestion is to avoid floatie contraptions that affect your drone's flight performance and are more likely to contribute to its loss than to make your flight safer.
So give me the facts on the "more likely." I have not seen that on this forum yet but you have been here longer. I loss maybe 3-5 minute flight time but not had any problem flying with it on.
I have seen a lot of drones lost in the lake or ocean because operator error and I bet they wish they had one on.
But like I have always said.... It is your money to throw away, take all of the chances you want. Not me.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
So give me the facts on the "more likely." I have not seen that on this forum yet but you have been here longer. I loss maybe 3-5 minute flight time but not had any problem flying with it on.
I have seen a lot of drones lost in the lake or ocean because operator error and I bet they wish they had one on.
But like I have always said.... It is your money to throw away, take all of the chances you want. Not me.
New flyers often have a fear of flying over water, but it's not logical.
Your drone is no more likely to crash over water than it is on land.
And either way, it's going to be toast.

I've flown thousands of miles over the ocean and I know that my drone's speed is critical to being able to bring it back.
There's no way I'd handicap mine with speed-sapping floats to catch the wind.

I just want to find it! a tether that releases when and if hits the water would work fine for me, I just don't want to lose it, My Sons Karma- we walked the area for days! - Actually fished.
In our group, we put reflective tape on the top and bottom. We Also wrap the legs with the reflective material. At night, it’s very easy to spot from the air with a drone using a light. ??

Have you considered a GetterBack? Works in water 10-100’ deep. I have one... don’t notice any changes in flight characteristics. Available for several of DJI’s drones

Reactions: DaleD and JackL
You live on a peninsula and your a Newbie and you got guys telling you dont need any protection that its
much Better to let your $1800 evaporate. lol

Magnetic interference / bad battery management / forced landings/ strong winds/ miss handling / bird attacks / swollen batteries / panic and Newbie surrounded by water = High Risk

The Rescue Jackets will provide you with a streamlined flotation system that will stay out of your way , protect your investment and provide 3000 ft Visual line of sight and allow you hand catch safely .

The problem with tethers is they Fail in the water . we had two phantoms submerge do to those Getterbacks failing to engage in the water thus the reason why we designed and engineered the Rescue Jackets far more advanced than the Floater Pontoons.

Once you flush the initial $1800 investment , you will be sporting a Rescue Jacket and some tethers maybe 5 or 6 of them .

As far a a Rescue Jacket making it more likely that you will loose your drone this is just NONSENSE ! :rolleyes:

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeusfl and VanP
New flyers often have a fear of flying over water, but it's not logical.
Your drone is no more likely to crash over water than it is on land.
And either way, it's going to be toast.

I've flown thousands of miles over the ocean and I know that my drone's speed is critical to being able to bring it back.
There's no way I'd handicap mine with speed-sapping floats to catch the wind.
It's not a matter of being more or less likely to crash, but that it's almost impossible to recover in a large or deep body of water than on land.

It's not a matter of being more or less likely to crash, but that it's almost impossible to recover in a large or deep body of water than on land.
That's fine if you only fly very close to shore or always have access to a boat.
But if you don't, floats won't do a thing to help you retrieve a downed drone.

That's fine if you only fly very close to shore or always have access to a boat.
But if you don't, floats won't do a thing to help you retrieve a downed drone.

Where there is water there is someone near by with a boat, kayak, canoe, that would be glad to be part of a search and rescue project. No one gives up a chance to be someones hero.

No one is going to let $1800 Flush out to sea without out trying to get it back. :rolleyes:

The Rescue Jackets can float for days , and if your flying with Visual line of sight , you got all the time you need .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain and Land on Water.

Sometimes the Rescue jacket can increase Flight Performance.

Performance in the Air and Sea.

Sent in from one of the Seasoned Pilots on the Forum:
Performance in the Air !

Performance on the Sea: Mavic 2

Last edited:
Reactions: VanP
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members