DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying 1,000 feet from non-towered airport?

kodiak1120

Reactions
I have my Part 107 Cert. I am taking a trip down to the Chesapeake Bay later this month. One of the marinas I will be staying at has an non-towered airport, located about 1,000 feet away. When I checked the sectional charts, I was surprised to find that the airport was apparently located in Class G airspace. I always just assumed that there was a ring of at least Class E airspace around all airports, but I guess maybe not. Anyway, I guess I would be permitted to fly this close to airport, since it is Class G. Here's where I am talking about (note the red X):

EcTSxvt.png

I have quite a few small airports in Class G in my location so that part is not a surprise. Flying within 1,000 feet of one would still make me a bit nervous though! Even though no contact is required with Part 107 I would probably consider doing it in this instance. Extra attention paid to traffic patterns etc.

I agree... it's very close. I guess I'll play it by ear and see how it looks when I get there. The good thing is the airport is not very busy. The last time I was there, there were only two or three planes landing all day. I would contact the airport, but it's an un-towered airport, so there is no one to contact.

Good luck with your trip and flights. I believe most active airports have a contact number even if they don't have a tower. Theirs is listed on airnav if you need it.

Reactions: kodiak1120
Quite often small IFR aircraft will use these satellite airports as an alternate for flight plannng purposes. Though you may typically only see a handlful of aircraft on most days, nearby hazerdous weather or the closure of another nearby airport could make that small, non-towered airport very busy! Just exercise caution and use due diligence and common sense.
I would suggest reading pertinent sections of the FAA Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge (PHAK) that deal with aircraft traffic operations at non-towered airports.
Have fun and STAY SAFE!

Thanks for the reply. I'll check that out.

Required to contact airport manager and control tower if available. Airmap (app) is a good source for contact numbers- they even have the listing for the grass ultralight strip near my home. You should be able to find phone numbers at: Flight Service (1-800-WX-BRIEF) and
AC-U-KWIK. Have fun, be safe post some shots.

Reactions: kodiak1120
If you're flying under part 107, you don't need to notify an airport that's in class G. However, when I'm flying that close to one, I call them anyway.

If you have the funds invest in a scanner and monitor 122.725 Any arriving and departing aircraft should be self announcing on the CTAF freq for the airport.

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dseyna