DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Cold Weather

Old feedback at this point, but I flew my Mavic Pro in 10-15 mph wind at 5F for 30 minutes without incident.
I was a bit nervous, but it did very well.
It started out warm : 70F.
Thanks for the input.

I keep my batteries in an interior pocket when doing winter flight ops. For the Inspire, DJI makes a battery warmer (powered by the battery). Inspire batteries are spec'd down to 14degF with special insulating stickers that adhere to the sides of the battery.

Could not find looking, Has anyone tried using a 12V Universal Carbon Fiber Car Seat Heating Pad for a battery warmer in their bag or case for winter flying? Using car's 12v or a 3C lipo? Thank you

That's Great, Never used the mitt. Do they make a booted too? That is what I want next. I hate cold feets the reason I fly from the car in the cold. Thank you for the info. Heater Sys is back ordered. I got myself on the list when they are restocked. A few hot baked potatoes will have to do till then. Thanks Again

I wish I would have found this thread while it was still daylight. I just got my Mavic Pro today, and was too nervous to fly it. It was basically a perfect day, save for it being about 14F outside. Well, and lots of snow on the ground.... But I would have found a dry, flat area

I wish I would have found this thread while it was still daylight. I just got my Mavic Pro today, and was too nervous to fly it. It was basically a perfect day, save for it being about 14F outside. Well, and lots of snow on the ground.... But I would have found a dry, flat area
Don't get into a rush. Flying in good conditions is always better than dealing with factors you aren't familiar with.

Give it some time and get familiar with your craft in the best conditions possible, first.

Reactions: CookieTheArch
Don't get into a rush. Flying in good conditions is always better than dealing with factors you aren't familiar with.

Give it some time and get familiar with your craft in the best conditions possible, first.
Hadn't seen your response until just now. I was able to visit home about 2 weeks ago (where it was a wonderful 65 and sunny for a few days) and got some good flying time in. Practiced the skills I want to develop with my drone. While I'm still grass-green to flying, I was glad to get a little time in and can't wait to continue flying around my campus as the weather gets better (our campus is fine with it; I work with a department that is specializing in drone research applications. Fun stuff!)

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
I recently flew for about 15 minutes at minus 10F. I had everything warmed up and didn't go too far away. It handled it better than I did. The only thing I've had happen at cold temperatures is that the gimbal hangs up when the camera is facing perpendicular to the direction of flight.

That's Great, Never used the mitt. Do they make a booted too? That is what I want next. I hate cold feets the reason I fly from the car in the cold. Thank you for the info. Heater Sys is back ordered. I got myself on the list when they are restocked. A few hot baked potatoes will have to do till then. Thanks Again

For your feet, try these chemical heating inserts:

https://smile.amazon.com/GRABBER-WARMERS-FWMLES-Warmer-Insoles/dp/B07D6Y5J42

I am a ski patroller in New England and we all use them. They're quite effective.

I flew in -35C with a 30km/hr wind the other day. Weather network said with the wwind chill it felt like -45C. Kept the batteries warm in my truck, short 5 minute flights to try to keep from freezing up. It flew well, no issues. The gimbal on the other hand, froze up every flight about 3 minutes in. It just overloaded and wouldn't move.

Flew MA Pro in 15-20F weather and only problem was iPhone and IPad battery showing quick drain to empty, controller still worked well for recover. Iphone and Ipad recovered battery power to about 70% when warmed up, so keeping them warm during use would be an approach to explore.

Update to previous post on Feb 24 2021 - flew in 37F weather and iPad Mini 2 did not have battery loss. It had typical battery loss for one hour of use with brightest screen lumination on. Looks like the very cold weather was the impact. Showing new neon orange skin for MA Pro that really increase visibility of drone for me against sky and against brown trees and green pines. Got the skins from DecalGirl as noted in other posts. Easy to put on.

Attachments

• 5F89532A-FE97-4A70-91DA-FFA94E0BE937.jpeg
    5F89532A-FE97-4A70-91DA-FFA94E0BE937.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1
  • 0CEE9981-F0AD-4C8F-9F55-B1DA8293989A.jpeg
    0CEE9981-F0AD-4C8F-9F55-B1DA8293989A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads