DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in remote locations over water

Yeah I will be setting that up for sure, I really just Gota find time to nut this all out before I go and the camera settings too, yeah I'm going up the sale river pretty remote not many boats go where we are going but be doing horizontal falls and all that aswell I'll post some stuff after I'm done

The big three for smooth video...

Gimbal Pitch EXP to 10
Gimbal Pitch Smoothness to 20
Rudder Right/Left Yaw to .20

Obviously play with that a bit, but that will get you started.

I don't have any ND filters, I just lock my ISO at 100 and adjust the exposure up or down depending on ambient light. Usually down at least .3 in bright sunlight. I also run a hood. That's mostly for gimbal protection but it may offer some sun shading. You can't turn fast or shoot in wind with it because you'll see it appear in the video.

Oh and I just looked at the area around Horizontal falls. The mountains to either side rise up to around 500(152M) feet within 1/4 mile(.4km) of the falls themselves. If you think the mountain could ever get between you and the drone and you are at the water, you need a RTH of like 170m. Remember it's going to take some juice to climb up there, so don't run it low.

this is why I like this site above ALL OTHERS!! its replies like this that make a new pilot feel like he or she is among friends. other sites you ask a innocent question and you get five boneheads answering you and if your lucky one good answer. thanks for keeping it real.

I think it's because we all were beginners at some point and that's what life is about... sharing knowledge and experiences. That's the only way to achieve expertise. Also, most topics we discuss here is not really "documented" in the manuals. Happy flying!!

Reactions: EJay and MavicMoira
Hey Bilzy6164,
You are going to some amazing country. When you see flood debris high up in trees it's hard to imagine how much water goes through that place. They have just had a big wet season.
With all the Mavic things on your mind be aware that in those watery places the the crocs could have an eye on you so don't tempt them!
A drone could be a brilliant way to view crocs. [emoji246][emoji102]

I'll be using this info tomorrow to get some footage of humpbacks breaching off the reef in La Reunion. The winds and surf off the outer reef should make good footage too - if i get the mavic back to the beach.

I'll be using this info tomorrow to get some footage of humpbacks breaching off the reef in La Reunion. The winds and surf off the outer reef should make good footage too - if i get the mavic back to the beach.

Watch that wind :)

Old-ish thread, but @Bilzy6164 how'd the trip, fishing, and flying go ??
Get some footage to share.
Can't wait to get up that way in the Ranger and tour a bit.

I just ordered a Getterback device. I had a close call over a large body of water and realized if it went down and sank, there would be no dji refresh care for me. The Getterback is for fishing rods but I just noticed that they started adding pictures of drones to their website.

I just ordered a Getterback device. I had a close call over a large body of water and realized if it went down and sank, there would be no dji refresh care for me. The Getterback is for fishing rods but I just noticed that they started adding pictures of drones to their website.

Interesting, looks like it can be placed with minimal interference, low weight, etc.

GetterBack

That, or if calm water, maybe the floaties !!!

Mavic Water Landing Gear
Opinions Please (Floatation Device)

Hey all new here, just got my Mavic the other day am from Australia and am going on a fishing trip in an extremely remote location in the Kimberley region of Western Australia, I will be on a boat for most of the two weeks and camping on islands, I'm freaking out about flying my drone over water and with all the cliffs around and that thinking of magnetic fields etc can anybody help me out with what I can expect and what not to do settings etc? Thanks in advance
Yes.. Buy floats.. Simple as that

Yes.. Buy floats.. Simple as that

Won't work unless VERY calm water, and the landing would have to be very stable, not a loss of satellite ect and in a bit of wind, might be too much for the system to handle well enough.

I suppose if the lot flipped, the floats may hang on well enough to keep it afloat, and enable recovery for a dry out or for refresh option to be taken.

Can you rely on mavic to told steady altitude while skimming over water with ground sensors turned off (assuming no wind)? Or will mavic tend to drift up or down a few feet either way?

That shouldn't interfere Chip, the Mavic holds altitude via GPS, forward, backwards, side to side or turn, if you don't toggle up or down it shouldn't matter.
Ground sensors (AFAIK) just look after auto land, obstacle avoidance, and possibly some of the home ground recognition ?? Or is that done through the camera view to electronics ??

Won't work unless VERY calm water, and the landing would have to be very stable, not a loss of satellite ect and in a bit of wind, might be too much for the system to handle well enough.

I suppose if the lot flipped, the floats may hang on well enough to keep it afloat, and enable recovery for a dry out or for refresh option to be taken.
Above water, with floats is always a better option than without. It absolutely work... To recover it...
That is manual or emergency landing or even crash and calm or not calm water you at least can recover it. This is always better than skunked, especially if deep water.
Floats WORK to float a mavic whatever the condions are. That the minimum to do. Whatever else you can do in settings or fly cautious will not make it float if it finally end down there.
My rules are that simple :

1) Do not fly above water if no need
2) if need or really want.. Use float
3) make the settings accordingly
4)Don't play hero or breaking records

Anyone found a place to purchase the Getterback units in the UK? Amazon are all out and eBay don’t have them listed? Thanks

Maybe drop them a message on their contact us page in my link and ask about a local source ?
Hopefully the should be responsive to people asking for their product.

Can you rely on mavic to told steady altitude while skimming over water with ground sensors turned off (assuming no wind)? Or will mavic tend to drift up or down a few feet either way?
If you got good GPS lock, it is quite steady but still move a little bit. Don't forget that as you move forward or left or right, it can lose a little bit of height.

If you fly really low, watch out for the surrounding. Make sure your drone won't hurt other people. 65kph (40mph) just above water is really fast!

Forget about that Getterback. This device is so small that you will never find it again in open water which is not very calm. Also, you won't get it back if the water is deper than 30m. Just sufficient for use at a pond or quite small lake.

Forget about that Getterback. This device is so small that you will never find it again in open water which is not very calm. Also, you won't get it back if the water is deper than 30m. Just sufficient for use at a pond or quite small lake.

True, is anything but but calm water or sea, it would be hard to spot, but better than nothing I guess.

I read a bit on their site, doesn't it go off at about 2 feet depth ?

Reactions: Rogue.Aircraft
Yes, but the cord length is limited with 30m.
Remember this device is intended for saving keys and other small things which you could loose at a key or a boat. MEans the Getterback will show up quite near to you and there it is easy to find.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Colin King