DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Sedona AZ -

SoCal_Mavic

Reactions
Headed out to AZ for the weekend and was hoping to get the Mavic up for a bit. I found some information about the area but would like some input before heading out. I understand it's against the law to fly in National Parks. Does the same law apply to the National Forest or State parks? Not looking for a work around just want to fly responsibly and be respectful to the area and the folks that live there.

Screen Shot 2017-03-16 at 10.55.12 AM.png

National Forest- no restrictions unless the area you want to fly is under a TFR (like a wildfire, etc).

State Parks- up to the state. Some often disallow operating (i.e. takeoff/land) within the park, but they really cannot prevent flyovers if launching outside the park. To be frank, the same might be said about National Parks, but I wouldn't want to test that theory.

I'm headed up to Sedona this weekend and wanted to fly my drone. While doing some research (googling) I found this thread. I wanted to add to it with what I found so far.

First of all, Sedona is anti-drone - period. They have a lot of National Forest that is perfectly legal to fly in, but once you dig in and start looking for areas to get great shots, you will soon realize that everything is off limits for one reason or another. 100% of the hiking trails are No Drone Zones. Sedona also has 10 (huge) Wilderness areas that are also No Drone Zones within the Coconino National Forest. So, I'm still going to Sedona this weekend, but I'm leaving my Mavic at home - pretty bummed, but I'm glad I did the research.

For anyone wanting to fly in Arizona (or any other state) and worried about Wilderness Areas that are off limits to pretty much everything with a motor, check out this site. It lists all Federal Wilderness Areas in the US. The best part is you can download the shape files and overlay them in Google Earth.

Specific to Sedona, here is the No Zone Drone Map.

I hope this helps someone else...

-Scott

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02