DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying indoors...sports mode?

Cmar143

Reactions
Since sports mode disables GPS would that be the safest way to fly where GPS signal is hit or miss? Control is not my worry it is the drone going in and out of GPS and possibly doing wacky things. There is a concrete building I would like to film in but there is some obstacles and my only worry is that GPS will go on and off and make the MP act erratic. Also is there a way to disable the automatic landing the MP does from 2 or so feet?

You don't have to use auto land, just pull left stick down and hold it down to manually land. The GPS question about flying inside I don't know the answer to myself.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Since sports mode disables GPS would that be the safest way to fly where GPS signal is hit or miss? Control is not my worry it is the drone going in and out of GPS and possibly doing wacky things. There is a concrete building I would like to film in but there is some obstacles and my only worry is that GPS will go on and off and make the MP act erratic. Also is there a way to disable the automatic landing the MP does from 2 or so feet?
Sport mode doesn't disables GPS. Mavic doesn't have a way to change to ATTI mode manually.

Sport mode doesn't disables GPS. Mavic doesn't have a way to change to ATTI mode manually.
My bad...I mistook obstacle avoidance icon for GPS. Pulling on left stick and MP stopping at 2 feet is what im talking about. I would like it to drop to ground when instructed not pause

Just one thing before flying indoors check the return to home option, and put in hover , so if you loose signal the drone do not starts going up and with the risk of hitting the ceiling.

Reactions: Keaco
My bad...I mistook obstacle avoidance icon for GPS. Pulling on left stick and MP stopping at 2 feet is what im talking about. I would like it to drop to ground when instructed not pause

If you're using Android, you can disabled Landing Protection in the advanced vision sensor settings. If you're using IOS, I've been told there's no way to disable it without disable VPS altogether, but that might not be a good idea. I guess it depends comfortable you are flying it in ATTI mode. And keep in mind that there seems to be a lot of people reporting very erratic behavior in ATTI mode.

Personally, unless I were in a very spacious environment - like filming a monster-truck rally kind of indoor event inside a large stadium-like setting - I would not consider flying the Mavic indoors in Sport mode ever. Too much power/speed at the sticks, much greater braking room needed in Sport mode plus, as you mentioned no GPS to help you out with aircraft control or positioning. All things to be considered. However, when considering you want to film inside a concrete building - which probably has metal rebar rods, wire mesh, etc., within the concrete, all of which are GPS signal blockers - not to mention the signal-blocking nature of concrete itself, it's doubtful if you will get much in the way of GPS input anyhow. Best way to find out is to take your gear to the desired film location, power up everything, and see exactly what GPS signals you receive there.

I would fly in an average indoor environment in Tripod mode only, giving you slower aircraft speeds to contend with; less prop backwash to deal with during a confined indoor flight; much smoother flight and camera action for better images; plus the additional aid of having Optical Guidance engaged. When using Optical Guidance (the encircled icon will appear on your controller when it is engaged) the Mavic's bottom cameras and sensors detect the floor patterning and will maintain position relative to that realtime input being received instead of using GPS. However - and I may be wrong about this - I think a general concern when flying the Mavic indoors is IF GPS kicks in suddenly and overrides your flight control, which would be a bad thing. I don't think there is a way to lock in on Optical Guidance, but if I am wrong someone please correct me so I will know, too.

But as far as I understand, provided there is adequate lighting, the floor surface being read by the Mavic's undercarriage cameras and sensors is not too shiny and has enough patterning to stimulate the sensors, and Optical Guidance is engaged, indoor flying with the Mavic is doable. I've read and seen videos that attest to this, one video, I believe, from DJI itself. One of the reasons I purchased the Mavic was because of my desire to capture indoor images (I have very high ceilings in my house with a very open, spacious floor plan and envisioned interesting camera shots during Christmas, birthdays, family gatherings, etc.); however, I haven't quite gotten up the nerve yet to try it. When I do I think I'll install the prop guards I bought for my Mavic but have never used just in case I do bump into a wall or something and a silly crash could be avoided.

Other folks with more experience than I have may have better answers for you. Good luck with your planned project. Sounds interesting. Consider posting some of the footage here you come up with to give all of us something different to see and learn from. Safe flying, good filming and photography.

There does seem to be a common theme with flying indoors and crashing... Sport Mode seems likely to raise the chances of this happening further so probably not a great plan....

Reactions: CC Rider
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan