DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Monuments in Edinburgh and Glasgow

D_The_Producer

Reactions
Hi friends!

I just got hired by a drone company and will be doing a training course in Edinburgh (staying in Glasgow). I have read the threat that talks about flying over Edinburgh and it was really helpful, however, I am still not sure if I am allowed to fly over monuments.

My idea is shooting videos of castles and every monument I find with my DJI Mini 2. I would like to do some photogrammetry of a few uninhabited castles and I was wondering if it is allowed or not.

Thanks very much in advance for the help!

Last edited:
Reactions: highflyeressex
Generally UK law permits overflight.

*HOWEVER* there is some debate with Scottish law about the ability of a land owner of certain groups to prevent overflight. Its a grey area and if it applies, only applies in Scotland. (Ancient Monuments act 1979). Its likely CAA overrules this so no restrictions apply.

Generally UK law permits overflight.

*HOWEVER* there is some debate with Scottish law about the ability of a land owner of certain groups to prevent overflight. Its a grey area and if it applies, only applies in Scotland. (Ancient Monuments act 1979). Its likely CAA overrules this so no restrictions apply.
Thanks so much for the reply and the info! I've taken some pics and vids of the Edinburgh castle, the Kelvingrove museum, etc. but did not fly over, as I was not sure. They all look amazing though, I'm loving Scotland! The weather... no so much!😁

I've just returned from a week in Scotland with zero flying due to the summer weather (ie strong winds, cloud and rain).

Thinking of monuments and old castles made me think of this

How far could the mavic mini fly with a coconut

:p

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661