DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying Over Water

whoamavic

Reactions
I'm taking the MP to Florida next week and plan on flying over the Gulf for some footage. I heard there are some setting I should adjust before flying over water. Can I get some knowledge on this from all of you? Thanks in advance

Reactions: boxsterfahrer
Turn off VPS (Visual Positioning System). It can get confused by reflections on the water.

If you do turn off VPS, it is urgent that you turn it back on before landing or you could forget you have it off, and come down hard.

Also, before venturing out on to the open seas, make sure you have total loss coverage from a company like State Farm and/or Refresh insurance on your drone. If you run out of battery, or have a catastrophic failure, the drone is going into salt water and might not be retrievable. You would need to provide a carcass to DJI for a Refresh if it did go in, so bear that in mind.

Reactions: whoamavic
Is it necessary to turn off VPS even if one plans to fly for eg. 10 meters above sea level, or is it a rule saying when flying over water, no matter the height, you should always turn it off?

Reactions: whoamavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78