DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

For actual cinematic footage, forget DJI Go 4, Cinematic mode, and all the advanced exp settings...

masmole

Reactions
Honestly, don't waste your time with that nonsense. It's just an exercise in frustration and futility. It's fine for everyday flying just for fun that doesn't require nailing "that perfect shot" or scene.

Newest version of Autopilot is simply awesome! Even better than Litchi, far more powerful and intuitive than DJI Go 4, and so far running on iPhone 7 it's been flawless. The developers really did a good job updating this app for how the Mavic flies. Making cinematic shots is now not only easy to do but also unbelievably powerful and versatile. You can make flight paths as complicated or simple as you want and the way the Mavic and its gimbal behaves is left to the background leaving you with nothing but smooth footage. Best $30 I've spent on an app in a long time. DJI needs to purchase this company so they can make apps for them. It's only right that superior software functionality like this should come included with the best drones available on the market.

What exactly is the app you are talking about here? Is it only for iOS or Android too?

Thanks
Autopilot by Autoflight logic. Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

Unfortunately, it's iOS only for now but for android, Litchi is a decent alternative, thought no where near as powerful as the latest version of Autopilot. Litchi is still better than DJI Go 4 when it comes to waypoint/mission-type maneuvers and flight automation though.

Reactions: cobra46
Howdy! First post, be gentle! :)

I completely agree with the OP. Like y'all, I can't conceive of not having software like Autopilot and Litchi, the enhanced functionality and possibilities they offer are vital. I want to make the point that DJI feel the same way. There's only so much one company can do to make a product great, to go beyond that you need to build a platform, more than a product.

By creating and licensing an SDK and related API(s) DJI is doing exactly this. Third party applications are enabling capabilities in the platform more quickly and with more variety than any one company can do. Competition creates different approaches. Many factors come into play to more completely express and fulfill the various needs and desires of a diverse user community. DJI won't buy these companies, they're hoping more arise and that they are popular and successful.

I offer this so that you can share this insight with others and help aver it to the folks who think third party software is inherently inferior or 'sketchy' in some way. At the heart and core of any program that can fly these birds is software from DJI and a license to use it. Did you know that before any SDK software can access the aircraft for the first time it has to register online with DJI and provide the serial # and effectively get permission to access it going forward? No one is flying these birds w/o DJI being in control.

From Autoflight Logic's Autpilot Documentation:

"DJI requires all third-party applications to register upon installation, which requires a network connection. Autopilot performs the registration automatically in the background and does not require any input from the user. Autopilot will not be able to connect to your aircraft until the registration is complete."

Howdy! First post, be gentle! :)

I completely agree with the OP. Like y'all, I can't conceive of not having software like Autopilot and Litchi, the enhanced functionality and possibilities they offer are vital. I want to make the point that DJI feel the same way. There's only so much one company can do to make a product great, to go beyond that you need to build a platform, more than a product.

By creating and licensing an SDK and related API(s) DJI is doing exactly this. Third party applications are enabling capabilities in the platform more quickly and with more variety than any one company can do. Competition creates different approaches. Many factors come into play to more completely express and fulfill the various needs and desires of a diverse user community. DJI won't buy these companies, they're hoping more arise and that they are popular and successful.

I offer this so that you can share this insight with others and help aver it to the folks who think third party software is inherently inferior or 'sketchy' in some way. At the heart and core of any program that can fly these birds is software from DJI and a license to use it. Did you know that before any SDK software can access the aircraft for the first time it has to register online with DJI and provide the serial # and effectively get permission to access it going forward? No one is flying these birds w/o DJI being in control.

From Autoflight Logic's Autpilot Documentation:

"DJI requires all third-party applications to register upon installation, which requires a network connection. Autopilot performs the registration automatically in the background and does not require any input from the user. Autopilot will not be able to connect to your aircraft until the registration is complete."
Nice information!

I've noticed I get far better photos/videos using Litchi.

I'm not doubting you here but how can that be? How can the control app affect the quality of the images/video produced by the camera?

I do have Litchi but I haven't used it yet as I'm still learning the DJI way but I am genuinely interested if this is true and not just a subjective feeling. :)

How can the control app affect the quality of the images/video produced by the camera?

For the most part, it's not affecting the image quality, but the cinematic motion of the camera.

Automation is smoother and more consistent than manual work. Rather than tapping and stick-pushing every last low-level detail you want to fly, you tell the application a high-level goal like "orbit this point at a fixed radius" or "rise up and level the camera at the same time, nice and smooth." The app sends the tiny control movements to the drone to achieve that goal.

Reactions: egrep
If you look at the options for your 5d button settings, you'll note an option for "ground station". This is something dji will be releasing soon. I would speculate that it'll take us in the same direction as litchi/autopilot.

So when using Autopilot, you completely by-pass DJI Go 4 or do you have to run both at the same time? Does AP provide same flight data and fonctionallity as DJI Go 4?

Ware the benefits of autopilot over the DJI app? I know litchi offers pre-flight way points. Whats so great about autopilot?

So when using Autopilot, you completely by-pass DJI Go 4 or do you have to run both at the same time? Does AP provide same flight data and fonctionallity as DJI Go 4?
DJI only allows one app to connect to the drone at any given time. So you can start the drone, calibrate, and all that business with the Go 4 app if you want then quit that app and launch the Autopilot or Litchi app after for actual mission-based flights. You can always quit the app mid-flight and return to the Go 4 app as needed.

Reactions: telecam
Ware the benefits of autopilot over the DJI app? I know litchi offers pre-flight way points. Whats so great about autopilot?
It basically does everything the Litchi app does and more. It offers more flexibility and customizability to suit your needs. Also, I've found the Litchi app to be unstable on my iPhone 7 with current iOS - it crashes frequently, whereas the Autopilot app has been solid. Autopilot was just recently updated with Mavic Pro optimization, so if you've overlooked this app before, now's a good time for a second look.

See this video for more info...

Reactions: uneekwahn
For the most part, it's not affecting the image quality, but the cinematic motion of the camera.

Automation is smoother and more consistent than manual work. Rather than tapping and stick-pushing every last low-level detail you want to fly, you tell the application a high-level goal like "orbit this point at a fixed radius" or "rise up and level the camera at the same time, nice and smooth." The app sends the tiny control movements to the drone to achieve that goal.
Exactly this

You only have to use DJI Go the first time, to activate the aircraft. From then on you never need to use it. You can sync flight records with HealthyDrones directly as well as DroneLogbook. I'm actually not sure if it syncs with DJI however. It provides the same types of control, but it's a different app, so the flavor and form is different. Since, at it's core it's using the DJI SDK and APIs, third party apps are capable of the entire published capabilities of the aircraft. I don't believe DJI Go is making use of unpublished API calls of any importance to flight control and operations, but they certainly could be.

Reactions: telecam
You only have to use DJI Go the first time, to activate the aircraft. From then on you never need to use it. You can sync flight records with HealthyDrones directly as well as DroneLogbook. I'm actually not sure if it syncs with DJI however. It provides the same types of control, but it's a different app, so the flavor and form is different. Since, at it's core it's using the DJI SDK and APIs, third party apps are capable of the entire published capabilities of the aircraft. I don't believe DJI Go is making use of unpublished API calls of any importance to flight control and operations, but they certainly could be.
Actually, it's still probably good practice to run the DJI Go 4 app somewhat regularly whether you use it in flight or not for the simple matter of making sure you're always up to date with the current remote and drone firmware.

Actually, it's still probably good practice to run the DJI Go 4 app somewhat regularly whether you use it in flight or not for the simple matter of making sure you're always up to date with the current remote and drone firmware.
Very good point. I also use it once per flight session at the start to see if it wants to complain about calibrations. I do calibrations with DJI Go app as well.

Can one use Autopilot to fly FPV, too?

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
If you mean by using the device in some headgear, no. That is best left to the HDMI output function of the controller as far as Autopilot (and myself for that matter) are concerned. That's not an area I'd expect Autoflight Logic to pursue either.

My wallet hates you.

My drone loves you.

My wife, she's indifferent to you, until she sees how much the app cost! ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78