DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forced GO 4 update in a week?

So if I've not seen the message does that mean I can avoid the update?
I fly using my wifi only iPad and I put it in airplane mode before I fly, I had the app open yesterday and still didn't see the message.

Prob yes but not 100% sure, remember that you would need to be online with the app at one point to cache maps ---- that is the sad part

Reactions: Up & Adam
Prob yes but not 100% sure, remember that you would need to be online with the app at one point to cache maps ---- that is the sad part

Ah, I had forgotten about that. I suppose I don't really need maps if it means I can fly unrestricted.

Yes and no, some intelligent flight modes might not work where you do not have maps like orbit and other stuff prob

Reactions: Bracofoon
I hope this is mostly FUD on this forced update process. Last evening I was doing some testing of camera settings inside the house when my front camera suddenly went gray. I could not get it turned back on after several reboots of everything. But I got this popup message that said I must update my firmware. So with fresh battery I went into the about section and called for the firmware update, something I hadn't done in a month since I bought it. The download went OK and the update took a long time but finally completed. There was no request for me to log in to my account. Maybe that was automatic. But, I got my camera stream back!

The funny thing is, I looked up the version date of my update and it was May 9. Plus it is the update for a few camera gimbal bugs and required for the goggles which I don't have. Firmware version 1.03.0700 now and Go4 version 4.08. Can't get outside yet to test flight modes because it's been raining for two days now.

It's really scary that the company would disable my camera view mid flight like that. That's like a student driver having a blindfold put on while driving in traffic.

With all that's going on I'm not so sure getting into this end of having a camera that flies was such a wise move. There is even a thread where the government is looking at giving police permission to shoot you for flying now.

Up until yesterday, the learning in my back yard was going fine.

1.03.0700 now and Go4 version 4.08.; same here - updated by choice to see a few days ago (BEFORE THE MESSAGE!) and all is ok. THE SAME DAY in the evening I got the notification thing we all see in the app .... There is no never firmware yet from what I see.

What I want to mention is that in my DJI account I have all the details they asked for entered, name, phone, country - even a picture - not sure if that makes any difference but wanted to mention it

So I have great news. I wasn't quite satisfied that this was really coming from the forced upgrade so I decided to do some experimenting. I ended up reformatting the SD card, and BOOM my feed returned. :D. I'm doing a test flight tomorrow.

Many users are reporting these problems, mine occurred after the goggles. The manual says you can move the SD card into the goggles to access the footage, but something weird must have happened and when I reinserted the SD card into my Mavic, it behaved strangely. I'm assuming this issue is happening to new goggle owners.

I did my test flight this morning with my goggles and flown the drone out 2.5 km today and it was successful. I guess it's very picky about the SD card. I learned something new today.

And they wanted me to send in the drone. At least the other guy made the effort to troubleshoot mine.

What I want to mention is that in my DJI account I have all the details they asked for entered, name, phone, country - even a picture - not sure if that makes any difference but wanted to mention it
They asked for your picture? I'd draw the line there and upload a shot of Homer Simpson. That's starting to get invasive for a consumer product.

They asked for your picture? I'd draw the line there and upload a shot of Homer Simpson. That's starting to get invasive for a consumer product.

They did not ask, there is a option to set profile picture ... now, that can ne anything :)

I would still like someone to show me where it says the update is REQUIRED. Since people here are convinced its FORCED they should have no problem showing me where it says the update is REQUIRED.

Reactions: dorubrad
1.03.0700 now and Go4 version 4.08.; same here - updated by choice to see a few days ago (BEFORE THE MESSAGE!) and all is ok. THE SAME DAY in the evening I got the notification thing we all see in the app .... There is no never firmware yet from what I see.
Is this on Android?

It is not forced OR required.

If you update (to get some "new" features) YOU WILL BE FORCED to activate again the MAVIC
if you update BUT DO NOT ACTIVATE again you will not have video feed and other bad stuff :)
If you do not update BUT at one point you get online - who knows what would happen

This is what I make out of it...

I would still like someone to show me where it says the update is REQUIRED. Since people here are convinced its FORCED they should have no problem showing me where it says the update is REQUIRED.

So it is more like: you want to keep your mavic as it is and that is that. OR if they come up with something new in the future (fixes, or anything else) then IT IS FORCED as it is the only route to take.

So it is more like: you want to keep your mavic as it is and that is that. OR if they come up with something new in the future (fixes, or anything else) then IT IS FORCED as it is the only route to take.
yep that about sums it up

i also think that as long as you don't update the go 4 app turning it on may well not force u to do the update, That would then really be a forced update.

i am on 06.00 and i might test it later i can turn off airplane mode stick it on wi fi while i connect everything up and if i have to update then we will know. If i get time today i will let you know the results, can not promise i will have time.

The app itself (at least this version) does not force anything so prob. keeping it would just keep things as is. On the other hand, if one uses map modes (like Orbit and other stuff) - then you need to be online, at least to cache map data etc... moment when the app might download some data that would be pushed later to your MAVIC (even if then you are offline)

I wonder if it would be something that they need to fix under warranty and one is on a old firmware
- would they force a update on you?
- Would they fix what ever issue (EVEN IF SOFTWARE :) ) and let your "OLD, as bought" device as it is?

Seems on the gray zone for me....

Yes I guess you could say that. Since mine is doing everything I want it to on .400 I will not be taking this "forced" update. Im wondering if the goggles would have worked fine on older firmwares and DJI is just using "support for the goggles" as an excuse to get more users to update the firmware.

3rd party apps might also take users to the update direction, as they (DJI) might change the SDK and then developers need to use new stuff =>> 3rd party app works with latest firmware only :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Allen25