DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Forward Vision Sensor Calibration Error- How To Calibrate

nwyeti

Reactions
Hello. New to this site and also newer to the Mavic. Back in March, as I was shooting video of a waterfall (Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon), I crashed into a tree while panning sideways and watching the FPV on my iPhone 6 Plus rather than line of sight. Sent it to the DJI Repair Center- Los Angeles with a broken camera and gimbal, gimbal ribbon exposed and bottom fuselage cover bent from falling 25 feet to the rocks below. Five weeks later and $340 out of pocket, my Mavic arrived a few days ago.

As I attempt to fly, I keep getting the Forward Vision Sensor Calibration Error. Recalibrate Vision System by using DJI Assistant 2 or use DJI Go for urgent issues. So I've made multiple attempt to calibrate but each time it says at the bottom of the screen to reboot the Mavic Pro and try again. After 17 times, I gave up and am now flying my Mavic like my Phantom 3 Standard. I just deleted the current DJI Assistant 2 and reinstalled. Same thing over and over.

Besides flying a Phantom 3 Standard, I also own a Phantom 4. Not one single issue with any of the Phantoms but constant problems with the Mavic Pro after I crashed it and getting repaired at DJI. Any ideas? And if I cannot get DJI Assistant to calibrate, should I send it back to DJI LA, or use a local drone shop to do it? Thanks!

Reactions: Budmancan
Yes. Watched it twice. Did you happen to read my full post? Each time I point the Mavic's camera at the moving square, a message displays at the bottom of the screen to reboot Mavic and try again. After 17 times, I told myself "screw it" and I'll fly the Mav like my Phantom 3 Standard (without forward or bottom vision positioning sensors.)

Yes. Watched it twice. Did you happen to read my full post? Each time I point the Mavic's camera at the moving square, a message displays at the bottom of the screen to reboot Mavic and try again. After 17 times, I told myself "screw it" and I'll fly the Mav like my Phantom 3 Standard (without forward or bottom vision positioning sensors.)

Yes I happened to read your full post. You wrote, "So I've made multiple attempt to calibrate but each time it says at the bottom of the screen to reboot the Mavic Pro and try again" but what you didnt say is at what point you get the error message.

Your last post said, "Each time I point the Mavic's camera at the moving square, a message displays at the bottom of the screen to reboot Mavic and try again."

You should be more specific. Which moving square? Is it on the first screen with forward sensors? Or at calibrating the bottom sensors?

Removed stickers last month prior to wrecking into tree. In the DJI Assistant 2 that's on my laptop, you first start with the forward sensors. Will not calibrate. Continuous rebooting required on Mavic. Still nothing. So, obviously, cannot calibrate bottoms sensors without first calibrating front sensors.

Reactions: Timbooo
You removed the stickers last month before the repair? Did they send you the same Mavic back? Sometimes instead of repairing they just send you a refurb with new stickers on it.

I have tried a few times to calibrate on my laptop and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. When I use my desktop, it works 100% of the time. Not sure why the laptop fails, but it's worth a try.

If it were a mechanical problem, such as a torn ribbon cable or a disconnection on one of the sensors, it would tell you which sensor is not working in DJI Go.

Reactions: nwyeti
My camera is always disconnecting just after takeoff or if I go live !!

After it goes off I get a warning: Gimble disconnect

Any sergestions on a fix?

You removed the stickers last month before the repair? Did they send you the same Mavic back? Sometimes instead of repairing they just send you a refurb with new stickers on it.

I have tried a few times to calibrate on my laptop and sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt. When I use my desktop, it works 100% of the time. Not sure why the laptop fails, but it's worth a try.

If it were a mechanical problem, such as a torn ribbon cable or a disconnection on one of the sensors, it would tell you which sensor is not working in DJI Go.

Thank you for the reply. Still haven't been able to calibrate forward and bottom position sensors. Tried in the app as well as in Assistant 2. So I turned the positioning sensors off. May have to send back to LA repair center, but going on a 2 week vacation to Yosemite and Grand Canyon in first of June, and will be taking a lot of scenic pics/ videos in the surrounding National Forests (not in the National Parks), and State Parks. I know DJI test flew my Mavic so you would think if the sensors themselves were damaged from the drop out of the tree, they would have noticed. So, more than likely, I'm doing something wrong. Besides those sensors, it flies very nicely and takes nice pictures. And also thank you for helping so many pilots, new and old!!!!!

i am having exactly the same problem, but I get to the final calibration stage after completing the front and bottom calibrations and it stops at 71% and tells me calibration failed I have tried for 2 weeks about 20 times it's so frustrating. That was on mac air so I thought different computer might work but Assistant 2 wont even open on my i Mac desk top any ideas

i am having exactly the same problem, but I get to the final calibration stage after completing the front and bottom calibrations and it stops at 71% and tells me calibration failed I have tried for 2 weeks about 20 times it's so frustrating. That was on mac air so I thought different computer might work but Assistant 2 wont even open on my i Mac desk top any ideas
having this exact problem.
Im guessing it may be due to having a curved ultrawide screen (resolution at 3440x1440) has anyone been able to get around this?

Same results and msg at 71%, have tried all three of my desktops, various curved and flat screens, all resolutions, no joy. Didn,t even think to try laptops or surface 4, guess I'll give those a go. Right now just using my mavic a little less and without sensors. DJI support told me to try a reset on our chat, no effect.

My mavic app says I need to calibrate the und Ernest sensors. I was planning on doing it. But now ive read all these issues I will not bother as they work fine for me

I tried to calibrate my control sticks about 20 times on my s5 would not do it. Borrows a i 5 's and it done it right away.

Weird

Finally! First attempt using a surface 4 and it completed the calibration with no errors. After dozens of failed attempts with my desktop's, this was very pleasing.

SO, if I continue to fly without the sensors(works fine for me), and knowing I don't have refresh on this Mavic, I guess it doesn't matter .....right? i suppose if something **else** freaky goes amiss they will say 'you shouldn't have been flying without recalibrating' .....in which case it doesn't matter since my first crash didn't get resolved with much help from them when it was seemingly not my fault anyway....

My laptop is a Levono Yoga, which is a touch screen. But I don't think that is the problem.

After reading all of the other people having this problem, I'm kinda feeling like the person who said send it back.

Again, thanks to all for the efforts they go to to help us newbies.

Chuck

Same results and msg at 71%, have tried all three of my desktops, various curved and flat screens, all resolutions, no joy. Didn,t even think to try laptops or surface 4, guess I'll give those a go. Right now just using my mavic a little less and without sensors. DJI support told me to try a reset on our chat, no effect.

Hi All,
Just completed my Mavic sensor calibration on Assistance 2 V1.1.6. Earlier on tried on 1.0.9 but failed repeatedly on my PC I7 with Windows 10 Pro and 4K resolution Samsung 28" LED panel. Calibrated numerous times and failed at 85% at the end of calculating.
Finally, went onto my wife Windows 10 PC with same OS Windows 10 Pro but with 27" LCD panel on HD 1920 X 1080. After 2 tries, it calibrated successfully. Did it offline / aeroplane mode as I'm afraid I will be forced to update my aircraft from .700 to latest firmware.

Good luck and keep trying.

Thank you & hope it"ll help others here.

Read somewhere in other forum last year when I tried to calibrate the Mavic sensor when it prompted me and kept failing after certain calculation when finished calibrating. Someone did mentioned to try it on other resolution and it helps. Hence I tried onto my wife's PC at 1920 X 1080 HD panel.

Good Luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src1972