DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Found Mavic Air 2 in national park. What to do?

i dont get the big deal, whats with the national parks thing in the US ? if it was near an airport then yes very bad but its a park !!!! .
OTT
Uhhhh, wildlife and nature preservation. Yellowstone NP, as an example already had some idiots drop their drone into different geysers. And others have thought to harass bison! But, it’s a park! A crashed drone could destroy Yellowstone’s Grand Prismatic Spring. Drone Flying at National Parks Can Result in Penalties, Fines

In an aircraft, you must maintain at least a2000’ minimum, and the park rangers WILL report you to the FAA. One of the flight instructors at our local airport, learned that lesson the hard way and was cited. He actually lost his flying privileges for a month for flying low over a lake, which was controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.
Ow are drones subject to the same regs? I DNK.

ok i guess we kind of dont get the idea of not being able to fly over a national park over this side of the pond ,if its highly populated ,monuments ect i guess thats probably why the fuss...i dont wish to upset you guys over the pond but i just could not see why this thread has so much input.
a park over here is normally a green area that people use for recreational purposes .
We have those parks too..normally community or neighborhood parks...not governed by the gobernment, but local municipalities.

Last edited:
In an aircraft, you must maintain at least a2000’ minimum, and the park rangers WILL report you to the FAA. One of the flight instructors at our local airport, learned that lesson the hard way and was cited. He actually lost his flying privileges for a month for flying low over a lake, which was controlled by the Army Corps of Engineers.
Ow are drones subject to the same regs? I DNK.

Please read the whole thread at least from post #22 on to about next 5 or 6 posts. ;) NPS is a separate entity entirely of ACOE. Let them report all they want... we already established they don't understand who has authority of the skies. :p

Last edited:
No such thing. No “buffer zone” over national parks in the US. The NPS does not control the airspace above the parks. Only the ground. They can limit takeoffs and landings on NPS property but they cannot restrict overflights above the park.

The landing part is key. It is against the rules to launch or land in a NP (with a very few exceptions), and that includes unintentional landings. So while overflight is controlled by the FAA, if your drone goes off the reservation and crashes, you're on the hook. You also may want to brush up on 36 CFR - you can be cited for various infractions even if you remain airborne.

Good info here: NPS and drones

Reactions: theDRONEranger
fsdaaerwrf
that is so cool of you God Bless
we need more folks like you in this crazy time

wow you guys over the pond have some strict rules thats all i can say . :oops:

Reactions: Tony McDrone
As you should know flight logs tell no lies.
You can't get readable logs off the AC. The readable logs are on the device that was last used to fly the AC.

DJI on the other hand, can extract the logs and read them when the AC is sent to them for repairs. That's generally done when determining a warranty issue.

Reactions: usrmesarge
No such thing. No “buffer zone” over national parks in the US. The NPS does not control the airspace above the parks. Only the ground. They can limit takeoffs and landings on NPS property but they cannot restrict overflights above the park. There are some NFZ around some national monuments and other government properties.
You are absolutely correct and the FAA will back you up.

Reactions: theDRONEranger
So funny that everyone is focusing on flying over a national park and not about flying without a FAA registration number on the drone.

Reactions: MA2 317
Hello. I'm new to drones, just bought my Mavic Air 2 last month. So I'm on still on the learning curve for things. I use the apps on my iPhone that seem to be recommend for assessing areas to fly - AirMap, UAV Forecast, and B4UFLY. These apps all show Lassen Volcanic NP as restricted/no-fly airspace. Am I missing something in this discussion thread?

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland PacificSkyDreamn.

These apps all show Lassen Volcanic NP as restricted/no-fly airspace. Am I missing something in this discussion thread

No. And you are correct, it's a NFZ.

But it's an interesting back and forth discussion that got sidetracked from a lost and found drone.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

So funny that everyone is focusing on flying over a national park and not about flying without a FAA registration number on the drone.
Just curious, what is the penalty for not registering with the FAA? I honestly do not know! Mine are registered and labeled appropriately, because the FAA said I had to. Crashing in a NP could be up to $20,000 and a ban for 6 months to life. Neither one would physically stop someone from doing something illegal! But what is the FAA penalty for failure to register and label a drone?

Just curious, what is the penalty for not registering with the FAA? I honestly do not know! Mine are registered and labeled appropriately, because the FAA said I had to. Crashing in a NP could be up to $20,000 and a ban for 6 months to life. Neither one would physically stop someone from doing something illegal! But what is the FAA penalty for failure to register and label a drone?

The FAA website says that failure to register a drone that requires registration may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three (3) years

The FAA website says that failure to register a drone that requires registration may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three (3) years
Has a possibility of being expensive, if one or both went after him/her. Morale of the story, fly safe, fly legal!

wow you guys over the pond have some strict rules thats all i can say . :oops:
We also have a large population of rule BREAKERS. The temptation to do aerial flights in National Parks is understandable given their immense variety and beauty. State Parks, Wilderness Areas, Wildlife Sanctuaries... many classifications and local reg's to be aware of.

Thanks for all the information. I have saves a couple of link others have posted. Yeah when it comes to National Parks, I’d just stay away unless you have permission.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom