DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Frame rate!!!!

I know that's definitely a widely held rule of thumb Alan but I've found that 1/60 tends to lead to more blurred pans especially when the light isn't great so now I always make sure, if possible, that I'm shooting at at least 1/100. The low shutter speed was I believe established as a means of reducing/eliminating the jello effect, I can't think of any reason other than that why you would want to artificially reduce the shutter speed as the Mavic has a fixed aperture lens and low shutter speeds lead to blur when moving the camera. If we want sharp images using a normal camera on a moving subject, we want higher shutter speeds not lower. At 1/100 or even higher I've never seen the slightest bit of jello on my Mavics.

All imho of course. :)

Low vs high shutter speed is all about motion blur. Slow shutter speed gives each frame some blur so the motion looks smoother. Each frame blends into the next one. High shutter speed results in stop-motion looking stuff. Please watch this video to see what I'm talking about.

Low vs high shutter speed is all about motion blur. Slow shutter speed gives each frame some blur so the motion looks smoother. Each frame blends into the next one. High shutter speed results in stop-motion looking stuff. Please watch this video to see what I'm talking about.e

Of course, I do understand the principles here but imo 1/60 Is too slow and can lead to a mushy pan whereas 1/100 sharpens it slightly but not so much that it makes pans "stop motion". Beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder..

Reactions: royalhghnss
Of course, I do understand the principles here but imo 1/60 Is too slow and can lead to a mushy pan whereas 1/100 sharpens it slightly but not so much that it makes pans "stop motion". Beauty is after all in the eye of the beholder..

I can see that angle. With a drone the camera is moving, where as for stationary cameras some random thing in the frame moving. Would make sense why 100 would be better, so the whole scene isn't motion blurred.

Hello all, I am really hoping somebody can help me here. I know this topic has been discussed a lot but I'm still left so confused. I have seen absolutely beautiful footage shot at 24 and 25 frames per second 4k with the Mavic. However whenever I do it, I get I stutter movement, not just panning, even just creeping along. Is there something that can be done to smooth it out?
I believe it is because your shutter speed is too high. At 25fps, your shutter speed should 1/50. Often this will result in over exposure, so ND filters are required for that 'cinematic' look.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR