DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Cover......DJI say on?!!

I'm not agreeing with DJI - all I'm saying is that's it interesting that they leave it on during their official promotional videos....as mentioned in my original post, I take it off :)
I will give it to you that DJI probably has had and continues to have internal debate about guidance on the use of the cover in-flight. Another sign of this mixed message is the inclusion of a rubber cover for the plastic cover. Which probably wouldn't be included unless someone thought that the optical clarity of the cover should be preserved.

I will give it to you that DJI probably has had and continues to have internal debate about guidance on the use of the cover in-flight. Another sign of this mixed message is the inclusion of a rubber cover for the plastic cover. Which probably wouldn't be included unless someone thought that the optical clarity of the cover should be preserved.

Yes, very good point!

This said, I have to add that if I where racing or flying fpv for the sake of flying fpv I would leave it on. But for any photography, stills or videos, take it off or else suck St photography... It really is a matter of choice.
I think our answer is right there. In other promotional material for the Mavic, they also advertise the fpv goggles, which have yet to release. The cover was probably added to be flown during fpv racing, which they also advertise. Certainly in that scenario, you're less worried about ideal clarity than you are minimizing damage incurred during a, now, more likely crash. The goggles aren't out and DJI has an exclusive racing unit in the pipeline, so at some point in the release schedule, this functionality stopped being a focus and thus the cover's role was deprecated even though it still surfaces in some older marketing material.

Reactions: Red_Raven