DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal lock

370Z2017

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I flew my Mavic Pro with the gimbal lock on. Did I ruin it? I calibrated it after and said calibration was successful. Any help is greatly appreciated.

How long did you fly with it on? You might be ok if it was only a minute or two. Did you try to pitch the gimbal down during the flight?

When you fly in the future, listen for any buzzing or screeching coming from the gimbal. Also look for any "gimbal motor overload" messages.

How long did you fly with it on? You might be ok if it was only a minute or two. Did you try to pitch the gimbal down during the flight?

When you fly in the future, listen for any buzzing or screeching coming from the gimbal. Also look for any "gimbal motor overload" messages.
I don't believe it was longer than 5 minutes. After I removed it I didn't notice any problems. It flew fine. I am as would imagion, very new to this so your advice is appreciated. How do you find if there were overload messages? It was hard to se the screen due to the sun. Thanks again!

How do you find if there were overload messages?
You would see an overload message appear in DJI GO after powering on your Mavic.

You would see an overload message appear in DJI GO after powering on your Mavic.
Powered up the Mavic and didn't see any message on my smartphone connected to the controller so I guess I'm safe. Man I wont be making that mistake again! I have been reading as much as I can about this drone and watching all the you tube videos! So much to learn and like I said I appreciate all the help from you good guys on this forum!

Powered up the Mavic and didn't see any message on my smartphone connected to the controller so I guess I'm safe. Man I wont be making that mistake again! I have been reading as much as I can about this drone and watching all the you tube videos! So much to learn and like I said I appreciate all the help from you good guys on this forum!

I use a "remove before flight" pennant attached to the gimbal bubble, given to me a long time ago by my friend Scott. It's the first thing I do when I take the Mavic out of the trunk. I went and bought a few dozen to give to friends and customers.

Here is a picture of how one of my friends attaches his. He has a vintage US Army Air Corps skin on his, very cool.

Marcus remove before flight pennant.jpg

I have a couple of the ‘REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT’ tags, but never thougt to attach to the gimbal cover.

I sometimes leave that off for short transportation to another nearby site, and always for the gimbal clamp for this, so instead opted for a length of bright fluro rescue tape adhered to the flat back of the clamp.

IMG_0039.jpg

Reactions: Bugg77
Slightly off the point, but what if you WANT to disable the gimbal? I’d like to turn it off completely, leaving the gimbal lock in place, and do some sport flying. Might save some damage in the event of an “unplanned” landing ;-).

Slightly off the point, but what if you WANT to disable the gimbal? I’d like to turn it off completely, leaving the gimbal lock in place, and do some sport flying. Might save some damage in the event of an “unplanned” landing ;-).

The only way to do it is to leave the gimbal lock in place, but doing so might overload the gimbal motors.

I colored the clear plastic Gimbal lock with red marker. This made a real difference for me. You will see (RED) image through the camera.

I printed a couple of remove before flight tags on Glossy Photo Paper. Punched a hole in gimbal and attached with small zip tie. It works great.

Here is a copy of the google doc.

Attachments

• Remove Before Flight.pdf
    533.6 KB · Views: 7

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danshoeco