DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal or Camera Issue

regdawg

Reactions
So I was out flying this morning and noticed when I turned on the bird, the camera view was sideways (not horizontal). Anyway I'm flying and I notice that when I fly left or right the camera is not staying stable meaning its also angling right or left. When I landed and picked up the bird with my hand and I tilted it left or right the camera stayed stable. Any idea what the issue is?

I flew yesterday with no issues that I noticed and I have an ND Filter on.

Just updated firmware and on first flight my gimbal is all over the place, sometimes saying obstruction, then I move it around while hovering and obstruction warning goes away and I briefly have gimbal control (up & down) but not for long. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

So I was out flying this morning and noticed when I turned on the bird, the camera view was sideways (not horizontal). Anyway I'm flying and I notice that when I fly left or right the camera is not staying stable meaning its also angling right or left. When I landed and picked up the bird with my hand and I tilted it left or right the camera stayed stable. Any idea what the issue is?

I flew yesterday with no issues that I noticed and I have an ND Filter on.

The camera has a yaw axis for stability and drift compensation. In a stiff crosswind it will (should?) angle to correct for the a/c heading v track.

Per AlanTheBeast... the yaw is normal on making a turn. The gimbal anticipates it. Vertical vs horizontal; take the camera out of portrait mode.

Ok... so just to back up what regdawg might be witnessing... I too upgraded firmware (60 flights on Mavic) and noticed for the first time that on start up the gimbal SOMETIMES initiates at an angle of say 30 degrees off horizontal. Over 30 seconds or so it slowly corrects to horizontal without intervention. Similarly under yaw the time taken to recover horizontal is 10's of seconds... not almost instant as it has been in the past.
Ive recalibrated the gimbal and fired up ~4 times inside and 4 times outside... I'd say the start up issue happens half the time and the slow horizon levelling ALL the time.
It's not an issue for me as I tend to compose between shots but it does bug me that this came out of nowhere.

Reactions: Bintryin
Ok... so just to back up what regdawg might be witnessing... I too upgraded firmware (60 flights on Mavic) and noticed for the first time that on start up the gimbal SOMETIMES initiates at an angle of say 30 degrees off horizontal. Over 30 seconds or so it slowly corrects to horizontal without intervention. Similarly under yaw the time taken to recover horizontal is 10's of seconds... not almost instant as it has been in the past.
Ive recalibrated the gimbal and fired up ~4 times inside and 4 times outside... I'd say the start up issue happens half the time and the slow horizon levelling ALL the time.
It's not an issue for me as I tend to compose between shots but it does bug me that this came out of nowhere.

So I'm not the only one. Yeah yesterday I flew for a bit and did not experience this at all. Actually flew a couple times after I upgraded to .600. This morning was the first time I experienced this. Again if I'm just holding it in my hand and I'm tilting it side to side, the horizontal correction is normal. So this is firmware issue? The clip below is only 12 seconds...after that its just black..sorry I didn't cut it correctly but just wanted to give an example.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Took the mavic out today and 1st thing I noticed was my the GO app was telling me that I have an incomplete firmware or something to that sort so it started updating. At started updating at 46%, which seemed odd. So the update finished and then I turned my Mavic on and noticed I was getting no signal in the top left corner (red bar). After a few minutes decided to restart everything (phone, app, etc.). After the restart, started the Mavic up and flew a bit and the gimbal issue appears gone. I landed shut the Mavic down and controller and restarted it again, took off flew for a bit and the gimbal was fine again. Maybe its a hit and miss issue but decided to just stay with .600 for now. I'll continue to keep an eye on it when I fly. If it does become a nuisance, I'll revert back to .550 before I go on vacation next month.

Same experience. Noticed it for the first time today and it freaked me the f out, true story.

Reactions: kaplaucius
I'll figure out a way to handle it emotionally if I break the thing, but if dji breaks it I'll be a little upset.

Is this delay for gimbal to level up also happen when making quick turns that it has to relevel each time or only during startup?

Nope I haven't enabled that option. The delay happens after calibration of gimbal when I first power on Mavic. Just wondering now if same issue when making quick movements on Mavic while in the air. "Not in Fixed Wing mode"... I could care less about that... I won't be using it.

That's why I'm asking to see if it has issues during flight or only an initiation thing.

Last edited:
Maybe the gimbal initiation has changed as a result of fwm introduction

Well I tested recording in flight and though it levels slooooowly back to normal it takes a few seconds to do so. It's not like it was before.

As much as I was hoping to stay on 0600 and I've been back and forth a couple times.... I decided to go back to 0400.

Test flight shows gimbal stabilizing almost instantly on 0400 when you make turns and other movements. I've decided 0400 is where it's at for now.

I will wait for 0650 or 0700 to see if worth upgrading. I'm happy where I am. Like another members said... I have to quit getting suckered into upgrading when in reality not much has changed.

Well I tested recording in flight and though it levels slooooowly back to normal it takes a few seconds to do so. It's not like it was before.

As much as I was hoping to stay on 0600 and I've been back and forth a couple times.... I decided to go back to 0400.

Test flight shows gimbal stabilizing almost instantly on 0400 when you make turns and other movements. I've decided 0400 is where it's at for now.

I will wait for 0650 or 0700 to see if worth upgrading. I'm happy where I am. Like another members said... I have to quit getting suckered into upgrading when in reality not much has changed.

How to get back to 400 thanks in advance...

Download DJI Assistant 2.0 from DJI website for MAC or PC.

Use your USB cable that you use to charge your RC to connect the Mavic to your computer and same for RC process. You will have 3 firmwares currently on list. Choose 0400 version or 0550 or 0600.

Reactions: BigMotor
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan