DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Gimbal Yaw Control?

Vids all look great no doubt... so i assume that bigger Inspire 1/2 has yaw gimbal control tho right?

You wouldn't want to yaw the gimble. Why? Because then you would see the landing gear on each prop. You yaw the Mavic which has the catch up feature that does yaw the gimble only a few degrees to make a smooth transition. When you yaw the Mavic remember to do slowly so the video looks nice. Too fast makes everyone dizzy. You can go into gimble setting and slow it down which is what I did. Also remember you can set the gimble (in settings) to point up 30 degrees which is also very useful rather then gaining altitude. Another nice camera feature is the digital zoom......this is located on the 5D joy stick. Play with these features they are very useful.

Speaking of gimble movements is it ok to move gimble to fit it into the gimbol retaining storage bracket. It feels so flimsy and sometimes it turns or flips around as you try to navigate it into the plastic retainer clip. I worry about messing it up or something.

I agree, that gimbal clamp is the spawn of the devil.
Here's a super helpful video on the easiest way to put the thing on.

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Oh really i was under impression phantoms had yaw control. Wow shows what I know. Like i said i never owned a complete one. I only bought the mavic cuz i learned bout it researching the p's

Probley a good rule of thumb would be if the legs stick down further then the camera (which most do to land unless they retract up in flight) the camera probley won't yaw or turn or you would see the legs in the camera.

The DJI Inspire 2, has lifting legs and a 360 degree gimbal. Altho it can be flown by one person, it has slave and master controllers and usually there is a pilot and a separate camera guy to handle all the camera movement, focusing and other camera functions. Its also has a nice price tag.

I get it now after doing my maiden flight. Holy crap the gimbal on this thing is amazing. I cannot believe How still the camera is while the drone is at various angles/pitches. The way it brakes automaticaly wow
It was way windy, 28mph or more so it was battling hard. With prop guards and both trackers it seemed to catch alot of wind too . It handles wind great tho . Watching playback u wouldnt know there was wind.
The first time i started it i left gimbal clamp on after making a long tether and everything im so mad at myself but i turned it off fast and seemingly no damage yet TG

Speaking of gimbal yaw...

It would be nice if Go 4 or litchi could be updated to allow yaw control. I understand the landing strut may be visible, but there is nothing to be lost by adding extra features like this. The other day I was watching the gimbal during calibration and was surprised by the range of yaw motion. This sort of thing would really compliment the fpv goggle experience, for me anyways.

My opinion, based on a fair amount of experience, is that you do not need (or want) seperate yaw control of the gimbal.

First, you yaw the camera by yawing the aircraft. That works fine. Visually there is no way for someone watching the video to tell the difference.

Second, it is much much much more difficult to fly when the camera is not facing forward. You need to be constantly aware of how many degrees you've rotated the gimbal so that you can work the sticks correctly to fly in the direction you want. It takes a lot of concentration and it's still hard.

I fly an m600 with full independent gimbal yaw control. When I'm flying it alone, I set it to the exact same setup as any Phantom or Mavic. In other words I lock the gimbal to a forward view and put it in Follow mode.

If I have a dedicated camera operator, then and only then, do we take the gimbal out of Follow to allow him to operate it while I fly. But even then, I fly using a second fpv camera (a GoPro) that is locked to a forward view (and doesn't even have a gimbal).

And one other point. Drones with independent yaw for the gimbal/camera also have retracts (retractable landing gear) to get out of the way of the camera.

My opinion, based on a fair amount of experience, is that you do not need (or want) seperate yaw control of the gimbal.

First, you yaw the camera by yawing the aircraft. That works fine. Visually there is no way for someone watching the video to tell the difference.

Second, it is much much much more difficult to fly when the camera is not facing forward. You need to be constantly aware of how many degrees you've rotated the gimbal so that you can work the sticks correctly to fly in the direction you want. It takes a lot of concentration and it's still hard.

I fly an m600 with full independent gimbal yaw control. When I'm flying it alone, I set it to the exact same setup as any Phantom or Mavic. In other words I lock the gimbal to a forward view and put it in Follow mode.

If I have a dedicated camera operator, then and only then, do we take the gimbal out of Follow to allow him to operate it while I fly. But even then, I fly using a second fpv camera (a GoPro) that is locked to a forward view (and doesn't even have a gimbal).

And one other point. Drones with independent yaw for the gimbal/camera also have retracts (retractable landing gear) to get out of the way of the camera.

I can tell the difference when I'm piloting the craft simply by the direction of terrain movement while flying, assuming I'm flying straight and not laterally. Your second point I agree with though. That is why I would suggest an indicator on the HUD displaying the gimbal offset.

I think I may have not been clear in how this should/could be implemented. As I imagine it the gimbal would controlled by the fpv goggles, so all that is required to move the gimbal is looking around. Already my phone/goggles is capable of sensing which direction I'm looking, so centering the viewpoint would be as easy as looking straight ahead.

I can tell the difference when I'm piloting the craft simply by the direction of terrain movement while flying, assuming I'm flying straight and not laterally.
Uh, of course you can tell the difference when your piloting.

My point is that visually there is no way a viewer watching your video can tell the difference. Whether it is the entire craft yawing, or just the gimbal/camera, the end product on video is the same.

Your second point I agree with though. That is why I would suggest an indicator on the HUD displaying the gimbal offset.
That is already available. That's how you know how many degrees off your camera is. Like I said before, it's very difficult to keep constant track of your offset. It's really hard to keep your bearings. And again, what's the point? Your footage won't benefit in any way.

I think I may have not been clear in how this should/could be implemented. As I imagine it the gimbal would controlled by the fpv goggles, so all that is required to move the gimbal is looking around.
It is just as effective if the yaw of the entire craft is controlled by the goggles. That's how a lot of these setups for consumer drones already work. In fact, the Litchi app will allow you to do this with your Mavic right now.

Uh, of course you can tell the difference when your piloting.

My point is that visually there is no way a viewer watching your video can tell the difference. Whether it is the entire craft yawing, or just the gimbal/camera, the end product on video is the same.

That is already available. That's how you know how many degrees off your camera is. Like I said before, it's very difficult to keep constant track of your offset. It's really hard to keep your bearings. And again, what's the point? Your footage won't benefit in any way.

It is just as effective if the yaw of the entire craft is controlled by the goggles. That's how a lot of these setups for consumer drones already work. In fact, the Litchi app will allow you to do this with your Mavic right now.

I'm not concerned with making videos, my intention is to enjoy it live. Also not producing footage, that OK with you? Can I desire to use my property how I see fit? And quite obviously the current implementation of the gimbal offset HUD is for pitch, not yaw.

Perhaps you have a hard time flying and keeping track, but others may not. And finally, the point is I would enjoy it.

I'm not concerned with making videos, my intention is to enjoy it live. Also not producing footage, that OK with you? Can I desire to use my property how I see fit? And quite obviously the current implementation of the gimbal offset HUD is for pitch, not yaw.

Perhaps you have a hard time flying and keeping track, but others may not. And finally, the point is I would enjoy it.
Hey now. No reason to get upset. What possible offense could you have taken to anything I said?

Yes, by all means go for it and fly for whatever reason you want. But I'm not going to apologize for assuming you, or anyone else reading this thread, would want to capture video, which last time I checked was a fairly popular thing to do with drones that have built in 4K cameras. How am I supposed to know you don't want to shoot video?

I'm also not going to apologize for giving solid advice based on years of experience. And yes, it is quite obvious that you wont get a gimbal yaw offset indicator on a drone that doesn't allow independent gimbal yaw. And to address your pathetic and uncalled for insult.. NO, I'm not the greatest pilot, but I'm good enough to know from direct first hand experience that what you want to do is difficult.

Just go try Litchi with your iPhone and any cheap headset (like these: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0...vr+headset&dpPl=1&dpID=41Cg7cNj8OL&ref=plSrch ). Once you do, you'll love it and forget all about this nonsense.

It would be nice if Go 4 or litchi could be updated to allow yaw control.

Have you already tried switching the gimbal mode in the Go app? I know it doesn't allow manual yaw control, but maybe it gives you closer to what you're looking for. Also, I believe Litchi has a few different options for FPV and gimbal control. I haven't tried any of them, though.

With Mavic landed moving the yaw stick rotates (only a few degrees) the gimbal. With Mavic flying, obviously moving the yaw stick rotates Mavic.

I watched a video the other day which demonstrated this yawing of the gimbal. It stated that this was used to smooth out the video from straight flight to a yaw position. Its like the aircraft yaw follows the camera yaw to keep it smooth.

Have you already tried switching the gimbal mode in the Go app? I know it doesn't allow manual yaw control, but maybe it gives you closer to what you're looking for. Also, I believe Litchi has a few different options for FPV and gimbal control. I haven't tried any of them, though.

Yeah I've used litchi for FPV previously and have used both gimbal modes. If I were FPV racing I would use the horizon tilting mode, but I prefer a more leisurely experience generally.

and maybe some other professional units

The Yuneec Typhoon H has independent yaw control. I used to have one and if I remember correctly, the software had some clever way of indicating the direction of travel of the drone independent of the gimble yaw position on the screen which made it a little easier to pilot and film. It was still difficult, and I agree that gimble yaw would be mostly useless on the Mavic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffN