DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Goggles - first flight (P4P)

AlanTheBeast

Reactions
Colour me unhappy - at least with the P4P - Friday should be better with the MP when it gets here.

(This is a copy of a post I put on PhantomPilots and not reflective of what should be a much better experience with the MP so please don't blast me too much).

Edit: also found this in the outer box.

Got the goggles and did the various rituals to set them up (new Assistant s/w, installed the "Android" comms pak that allows a Mac to talk to the Android based f/w in DJI products, re-booted, updated the goggle f/w, registered the goggles to my account).

Now the impact of the fact that these are not friendly things to use with a P4P (never mind legally - more below). With the goggles connected to the P4P controller, you no longer have the tablet for a/c state information. The displayed info in the goggles is quite sparse.

Took my SO to a spot to try them out. I took off with them and flew around FPV while she kept the bird in view. Then she tried them. Everything was awful. Of course. She touched the side of the goggles various times while putting them on and menus covered the screen. Cleared that. Everything was awful. Of course. She's far sighted. Dig in her purse for reading glasses.

Ah. Nice and sharp. So, I buzz around, now having lost VLOS to the stupid bird. So she's verbally telling me what she's seeing and I'm navigating on that. "There's the cell tower", turn "You're near the filtration plant", turn ... actually effective navigation as long as I stayed at 90m height ... explained the controls to her and let her move it around, but she wasn't comfortable with that. So I took over and she verbally navigated me back to where I could see the bird. At that point she was feeling unsettled like a bad car ride. Landed the bird and waited for her son to show up.

He misunderstood where to go, so during this wait I tried a few FPV approaches and landings. The approach is fine but the final metre or so to the ground is hard to judge so just hovered and then pulled the down lever until the earth rose up and hit the bird. Shut rotors. Takeoffs are painless and easy. Spotter tells me that she is bored to tears with this.

SO's son arrives. Change the battery, select S mode. Full blast take off. But, he didn't get the benefit of that due to the menus all over the screen. Again. Arghhhh. Cleared those. Managed to keep the bird VLOS this time. He loved it. Hovered and explained the controls to him (and switched to P mode) and let him buzz around. Of course he quickly went out of VLOS (for me) but could describe where he was, so no big deal. Another round of verbal navigation and don't fly over the freeway and so on.

He attempted a FPV approach but was still rough so I had him take off the goggles to land the bird.

Anyway, the Goggles with the P4P is not a practical thing unless you're working with a spotter. Too easy to fly out of VLOS but for the person flying and using the goggles it's quite easy. Need to spend some time using the menus in the goggles while flying. Some other day. Spotters are not easy to come by - never mind keep interested while you get your flying rocks off.

Will get the allegedly perfectly repaired (new SERNO again...) MP back this Friday. Should be a better experience with that.

Another note. I need a haircut. You cannot wear these things with long thick hair in the back. Tend to slip all the time.

EDIT: Got my hair seriously cut today. Much better fit of the goggles.

Another note. My SO confirms that I looked like a total nerd goofa$s wearing these. (I look like a nerd goofa$s normally, so this just completed the circle).

Another note. Bring mosquito repellent stupid.

Another note. Close the car doors lest it fill with mosquitos while flying.

Last edited:
Very funny - and interesting! I can see where even with the MP there will be a learning curve on navigating and accidental touches to the control panel on the goggles, etc.

Thanks for the review AlanTheBeast. Why do you think the experience will be better with the Mavic compared to the P4P? Is there functionality that is available with the Mavic and the Goggles that is not available with the P4P (something like gimbal control using the goggles)?

Thanks for the review AlanTheBeast. Why do you think the experience will be better with the Mavic compared to the P4P? Is there functionality that is available with the Mavic and the Goggles that is not available with the P4P (something like gimbal control using the goggles)?

Simply that the Goggles were designed for the MP. No tether needed. Receives the video direct from the MP via Occusync (radio) and integrates with the RC/app via radio as well (presumably). So you have full control from the Goggles to the MP and full display on the tablet mounted to the RC. Full integration.

Doing so with the P4P requires a limited setup or a "hack" of sorts described in
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/goggles-with-p4p-first-flights.115606/#post-1187749

Ah I see. I wasn't aware that the Goggles do not work natively with the P4P without this kind of a tether and a "hack". Now I get it.

Do post your Goggle experience once you get your MP. Thanks,

It's quite bizarre that the goggles were designed for the Mavic, but are fashioned in Phantom white. I think the vast majority of people would have been delighted with a dull, gun-metal grey finish. Personally, I don't want to be seen from space. I'm hoping that skins soon become available, but then there is the question of the ventilation area, and the touchpad. Maybe it would be possible to powder-coat the goggles without any adverse affect.

Very funny - and interesting! I can see where even with the MP there will be a learning curve on navigating and accidental touches to the control panel on the goggles, etc.

You can swipe the pad to lock it out and a quick swipe in the other direction unlocks it . It will be best to lock the touch pad out when handing them over to someone else to view to prevent menu switching .

It's quite bizarre that the goggles were designed for the Mavic, but are fashioned in Phantom white. I think the vast majority of people would have been delighted with a dull, gun-metal grey finish. Personally, I don't want to be seen from space. I'm hoping that skins soon become available, but then there is the question of the ventilation area, and the touchpad. Maybe it would be possible to powder-coat the goggles without any adverse affect.
I think they were thinking more about heat and how white would not absorb as much heat from the sun and make your head sweat or the goggles fog....

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
You can swipe the pad to lock it out and a quick swipe in the other direction unlocks it . It will be best to lock the touch pad out when handing them over to someone else to view to prevent menu switching .

True - I didn't think about locking it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78