DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Good job dji, NFZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes I'm on the latest software and firmware .
If I was where there were lot's of NFZ's I don't think I would be .
Had to drive 30 minutes to find that one .
Lot's of grass strips and a 2 hospital's but their not NFZ's or not in red .
Just get warning's on those .

Reactions: CaveDrone
Knowing their have been post with NFZ issues...

Daily I fly with airport approval, (my letter of agreement/notification and returned airport tower Ph.call) from my home within controled airspace, 3.8 miles from airport tower.

Due to area air show in conjunction with Unlimited Hydroplane race. A TFR zone is in affect.

To know how Mavic would respon, indoors I started Mavic and immediately "You are in a NFZ" message and instantly Mavic shut down.

I don't mind sharing my home air space with Air Force Raptor.
Good job dji, very effective!

731/17, dji...Let my Mavic go!

Above I complimented dji Mavic Pro on TFR NFZ effectiveness.

TFR ended 7/30, 1930 UTI time, nevertheless 7/31 8:00 am, Mavic is still telling me I'm in a NFZ and unable to launch :mad:.

I will reboot all equipment and try again.
dji, don't make me go to the dark side and add to your criticism!
IMG_2767.PNG

The drone community needs a group of political savvy representatives in local and federal govts

Reactions: CoolBreeze
See by that logic, all of the automobile companies should keep their cars from going over the speed limit. Actually, I've often wondered why they don't... It would be easy to design a GPS system that regulated your car's top speed based on location.

Fallacies at down again.

List of fallacies - Wikipedia

DjI will do what they feel they have to to stay in business. Don't like the way things are? Then don't buy. Don't like the way things have gone since your purchase? Then cash in your chips.

Last edited:
731/17, dji...Let my Mavic go!

Above I complimented dji Mavic Pro on TFR NFZ effectiveness.

TFR ended 7/30, 1930 UTI time, nevertheless 7/31 8:00 am, Mavic is still telling me I'm in a NFZ and unable to launch :mad:.

I will reboot all equipment and try again.
dji, don't make me go to the dark side and add to your criticism!
View attachment 18478

Through online chat I was instructed to email "flysafe" with link. Below is copy of my correspondence.

Due to high speed air show F.F.A. establish a TFR/TEMPORARY Flight Restriction, NFZ/No Fly Zone (see link.)
7/5801 NOTAM Details

Even though the TFR time period has expired or is over, My Mavic was and remains locked down showing Mavic to be in a NFZ.

Please release my dji Mavic Pro from being in a NFZ.

To educate myself and other dji Mavic Pro owners I would appreciate knowing the reason Mavic is still showing NFZ.

Thank you for your help

So, what you're actually saying is that the extreme circumstances that have occurred in your life and those that you've witnessed should translate to everyone else in the overblown sense that you feel necessary?

I wasn't implying an accident can't happen or implying anything for that matter. I said directly, that your drone catching on the breeze and getting in the path of an air show airplane was basically nuts in my book and so illogical that it feeds the negative stereotypes of drones.

Also, an overblown sense of safety in the name of being compliant to laws that don't exsist is detrimental to your "hobby" and scares idiots that have zero knowledge of drones except from the rantings of individuals such as yourself and a large majority of others on this board.

Think about it.

I'm sure by your logic that alcohol should be banned less some idiot get behind the wheel and cause another DUI related accident. While we're at it, let's ban cars! Guns too because people use guns to kill everyday ( I see it constantly) and therefore am a self appointment authority on how to apply it to all to live up to my standards!

I know you mean well, but scary what if senarios and fear mongering will only lead to more "laws" and rules and company self restriction due to pure overblown ignorance of the public and law makers alike. Small commercial drones are truly not that dangerous and not every "pilot" a complete idiot. You can't legislate the dangers out everything. We live in a free society where no ones cares of your personal feelings.

Believe me bro, being a cop for the last 10 years has taught me ALOT about people and truly what they are capable of, both negative and positive. I've seen a lot but try to be as professional as possible and DONT blame others or have an overboard sense of what if? I leave work and what I've seen to work and don't apply it to everyday life or I would go nuts myself.

First, thank you for your Police service. I have had two family and two x in-laws also serve.

I do understand how issues can get inflated and try to pursue facts.

My original post was to simply say in my situation dji Mavic Pro TFR/NFZ was effective.

My sarcastic "open door" statement humor was missed by some.

FAA established a TFR/NFZ, don't like it, don't fly drones or pursue changeling the FAA rules.

After name calling, telling me "what I think" and bloated exaggerations, time for us to end this discussion, borderline bullying me thinks.

Glad you can leave work at work

Enjoy your day

Reactions: wayy510
Through online chat I was instructed to email "flysafe" with link. Below is copy of my correspondence.

Due to high speed air show F.F.A. establish a TFR/TEMPORARY Flight Restriction, NFZ/No Fly Zone (see link.)
7/5801 NOTAM Details

Even though the TFR time period has expired or is over, My Mavic was and remains locked down showing Mavic to be in a NFZ.

To educate myself and other dji Mavic Pro owners I would appreciate knowing the reason Mavic is still showing NFZ.

Thank you for your help

NFZ is removed :).

Anyone know how I would verify time NFZ was removed?
Hopefully will receive email answer to above email.

Knowing their have been post with NFZ issues...

Daily I fly with airport approval, (my letter of agreement/notification and returned airport tower Ph.call) from my home within controled airspace, 3.8 miles from airport tower.

Due to area air show in conjunction with Unlimited Hydroplane race. A TFR zone is in affect.

To know how Mavic would respon, indoors I started Mavic and immediately "You are in a NFZ" message and instantly Mavic shut down.

I don't mind sharing my home air space with Air Force Raptor.
Good job dji, very effective!

I may be hitting a grounder to 3rd base here....
I just curious did you wait for the Mavic controller to warm up a little after the NFZ TFR
tosee if it would Clear within a few minutes..??

A manufacture blocking me and limiting what I want to do isn't right. If DJI wants to be a law enforcement officer, then they should be that. If they want to limit things, then I hope the "hacker" world will start to "jailbreak" drones and the controllers. I don't mind them giving me a "notice" I'm in a no fly zone, just don't limit me or anyone else, because they could be WRONG. There is a no fly zone around an abandoned airfield near me. Airplanes haven't used it in 30 years, or more and homes have been built all over it, but its listed as a NFZ. I'd be happy to take the challenge with a jury of my peers on this "airport" all day everyday against the FAA. The physical evidence is overwhelming in my favor even if the .gov administration hasn't gotten around to correcting or updating its "airport". Its not an airport, or airfield, and if DJI is going to block my ability as a grownup to make my own choices and be held responsible for them, then they (DJI) can go pound some salt.

Where did I say that? You might want to stop using fallacies in debate though.

Um, when you tell someone to "cash in their chips" if they don't like it. It implies that you aren't open to debate concerning the subject at hand. Such statements are called dialogue killers and stifle open discourse in any medium. The "if you don't like it get out" is what shouldn't be presented in a debate. All sides of a subject should be allowed, even if you don't agree or the general consensus is that they aren't factually accurate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dadcat and wayy510
Of course you can. It's just like a virtual wall, when you bump into it it stops, you can back off or fly around but just not cross it.
Widely documented too.

The weird situations that have been reported that caused landings are if the aircraft is not aware of the zone before entering it, and learns about it while inside - in that case it forced landed in place.
Requires a pretty complex set of coincidences with the system not being up to date, a new zone being added/modified, you happening to be in it, and being connected to internet on site but having a spotty enough connection so that the update didn't get to happen during preparation and only did so while flying.

And that behavior may have been fixed in later versions since that was reported as we didn't see much of it for a couple of months now.

Would probably happen too if you managed to somehow manually force it into the zone...

I believe you were referring to this thread: How to: avoid GEO System-induced forced landing and crashes :) .

I think the set of coincidences can be reduced to:
* A dynamic NFZ is added during flight (such as from the result of a TFR), or
* The aircraft has taken off before the GEO System has finished checking for update

Admittedly, the first point rarely happens. The second point has now been "fixed" with the latest firmware that doesn't let the aircraft take off at all until GEO System (part of which relies on GPS) finishes initialisation.

I would encourage living in a yellow NFZ to test it by:
* Disabling GEO System
* Taking off
* Enabling GEO System
* Confirm that the aircraft is now forced landed instead of being given the chance to back out of the NFZ.

However, as GEO System remains enabled at all time in the latest firmware, the above point is now moot.

Having said that, I do not trust DJI's GEO System considering the crash it's caused my Mavic. Even with the latest firmware there is a chance that could still happen as the forced landing relies entirely on the app updating the NFZ database which isn't bug-free.

Reactions: CoolBreeze

7/5801 NOTAM Details

Thank you for your help

Below email from dji.
Thank you for contacting DJI.
Please go to the TFR and refresh the APP and firmware after connected to the internet to see if it still have this problem.
Thank you.

Best regards,
Flysafe Team丨安全飞行团队
Enjoy Flying, Safely
I just curious did you wait for the Mavic controller to warm up a little after the NFZ TFR

First time yes warm up.
Two times only turned on controled no GEO 4 app. Realized my error.
Next time little time warm up while staring GEO 4.

Thanks, You hit a triple, I could/should have given more time to boot out of NFZ. Also now I know to contact "dji FLYSAFE" with NFZ issues.

Reactions: charliesRig
I don't like any of this to be honest but can't you check an area for NFZ before you go there? I tend to be a "guerrilla flyer " and stop to take a pic at random but if it's a planned flight, I'd imagine that it would be wise to check before hand. I don't know, I'm new to this level of regulation and have somehow managed to avoid causing an airline crash, all on my own, for almost 10 years of flying.

Um, when you tell someone to "cash in their chips" if they don't like it. It implies that you aren't open to debate concerning the subject at hand. Such statements are called dialogue killers and stifle open discourse in any medium. The "if you don't like it get out" is what shouldn't be presented in a debate. All sides of a subject should be allowed, even if you don't agree or the general consensus is that they aren't factually accurate.

Talk all you want, your options will still be limited. Of course I'm interested in insightful opinion it's just that fallacies are a waste of bandwidth. The idea that because a Cessna has no hardcoded limits a mass market drone shouldn't have either is a fallacy. Same for guns, bread knives, chainsaws, makes no difference because these items are not app controlled drones.

fal·la·cy
ˈfaləsē/
noun
  1. a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument.
    "the notion that the camera never lies is a fallacy"
    synonyms: misconception, misbelief, delusion, mistaken impression, error, misapprehension, misinterpretation, misconstruction, mistake; More
    • LOGIC
      a failure in reasoning that renders an argument invalid.
    • faulty reasoning; misleading or unsound argument.
      "the potential for fallacy which lies behind the notion of self-esteem"

You seem to be in love with this word but I'm not sure you really know what it means.

My proposal that the auto makers self regulating their vehicles to never operate above the speed limit is very much in line with your argument that it is proper for DJI to self regulate their products to only fly where they have decided it is safe. I never used the items you listed as examples. If you believe that a car is less dangerous than a drone, let's agree to place each other on ignore and have no further dialogue.

Reactions: wayy510
fal·la·cy
ˈfaləsē/
noun
  1. a mistaken belief, especially one based on unsound argument.
    "the notion that the camera never lies is a fallacy"
    synonyms: misconception, misbelief, delusion, mistaken impression, error, misapprehension, misinterpretation, misconstruction, mistake; More
    • LOGIC
      a failure in reasoning that renders an argument invalid.
    • faulty reasoning; misleading or unsound argument.
      "the potential for fallacy which lies behind the notion of self-esteem"

You seem to be in love with this word but I'm not sure you really know what it means.

My proposal that the auto makers self regulating their vehicles to never operate above the speed limit is very much in line with your argument that it is proper for DJI to self regulate their products to only fly where they have decided it is safe. I never used the items you listed as examples. If you believe that a car is less dangerous than a drone, let's agree to place each other on ignore and have no further dialogue.

Other people in this thread have offered them as examples. And I agree with you on limiting cars.

DJI would rather not limit the capabilities of their products, and don't put these NFZ restrictions in place to upset their customers; it wouldn't make sense to deliberately antagonise the customer base they have spent years building up. In order to protect themselves and their customers in the use of drone technology they have realised that compliance with air safety is mandatory if future sales are to be safeguarded. Blaming DJI for spoiling your freedom of rights and making comparisons to unrelated examples of less regulated "things" is a waste of time.
This isn't aimed at anyone in particlar, but if you really think about it, what else can the industry do to satisfy the need for compliance on a global scale. Sure, forty years ago you didn't have to wear a crash helmet if you rode a motorcycle or a seat belt when driving a car. You could smoke a cigarette on an aeroplane and you didn't need a certificate to own a gun. Generally regulations are put in place to protect society, not to propogate conspiracy theories.

DJI would rather not limit the capabilities of their products, and don't put these NFZ restrictions in place to upset their customers; it wouldn't make sense to deliberately antagonise the customer base they have spent years building up. In order to protect themselves and their customers in the use of drone technology they have realised that compliance with air safety is mandatory if future sales are to be safeguarded. Blaming DJI for spoiling your freedom of rights and making comparisons to unrelated examples of less regulated "things" is a waste of time.
This isn't aimed at anyone in particlar, but if you really think about it, what else can the industry do to satisfy the need for compliance on a global scale. Sure, forty years ago you didn't have to wear a crash helmet if you rode a motorcycle or a seat belt when driving a car. You could smoke a cigarette on an aeroplane and you didn't need a certificate to own a gun. Generally regulations are put in place to protect society, not to propogate conspiracy theories.

Ahh but seat belts don't have to be worn to drive! Sure they annoy the crap out off you or they disable your radio of you don't use them but you can still drive. There's a difference between the govt passing a law and Marlboro making it impossible to light a cigarette on a plane when it was still legal. To most of us, I think, we believe an American company wouldn't even try this in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zacf