DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

How to: avoid GEO System-induced forced landing and crashes

fnf

Reactions
This post is a precaution against the GEO System feature in the Mavic Pro. After several batteries' worth of experimentation I have figured out how it works and when it could cause crashes not caused by pilot errors.

The scenario:
* You are in a non-NFZ area but a Restricted NFZ area is nearby (e.g., within a few miles)
* You fly the aircraft around your place, still avoiding the Restricted NFZ area
* The DJI Go app suddenly reports that you're in a NFZ and gives you 20 seconds to land
* After 20 seconds it automatically starts landing and nothing else you do could make it work (e.g., giving full throttle up, switching to Sport mode, initiating RTH)
* The aircraft continues to land, as you will likely lose signal due to losing VLOS, you fail to adjust its position to have it land in a favourable area. It ends up either hovering over a rooftop with not enough time for you to get it back, or crashing to a tree's branch.

Reasons for the forced landing:
* You have enabled GEO System in DJI Go, which is a live database of NFZ areas all over the world
* You have taken off whilst you have weak Wifi/3G signal: during the initial flight, the GEO System is enabled but has not been loaded yet
* At some point during flight, the GEO System becomes fully active. It turns out that the NFZ area has been expanded a few miles from the original Restricted NFZ e.g., an airport. You are now fully inside a NFZ so it forces you to land.

To avoid the forced landing, either:
* Turn off GEO System in DJI Go
* Do not use DJI Go for flying
* Make sure that the GEO System is active, and you have unlocked/authorised the surrounding NFZ area before flying (could be hard to detect if you've never flown in this area before)

If you have already taken off and the forced landing catches you by surprise:
* As you only have a bit over 20 seconds to react, quickly tap the 3 dots on the top-right of the app and scroll down to the GEO System settings
** Go to "Unlock", with any luck the new NFZ area would show. Tap on it to authorise, that would cancel the auto-landing
** Force-close DJI Go, restart and turn off GEO System (must be done very quickly because restarting the app takes a while). The reason for restarting DJI Go is because the app takes note of whether the aircraft has taken off and would lock the GEO System setting.

a little different from the RTH reply from DJI.

I always check my GEO is off and fly in airplane mode.

How close did u get to losing the Mavic when you hit the NFZ or did you not actually fly into the GEO fence.

As in your scenario it places you in the NFZ already so it autolands you,

According to DJI if you fly towards and into a true no fly zone it will RTH when it hits the GEO fence but like everyone else who is gonna actually try it? i am not sure anyone will and openly report it.

Where are these geo settings in the app? I haven't come across them. Running iOS

He describes the scenario where an NFZ was expanded or added, so that when he takes off he isn't in a zone, but as the database updates over the air during the flight he now suddenly is, and so without ever crossing the boundary which you'd normally not be able to do.

Most likely a rather rare scenario (zones haven't ever changes around here since the system is in place) but seems it can happen and they didn't think of that.
He should report it to DJI anyway.

He describes the scenario where an NFZ was expanded or added, so that when he takes off he isn't in a zone, but as the database updates over the air during the flight he now suddenly is, and so without ever crossing the boundary which you'd normally not be able to do.

Most likely a rather rare scenario (zones haven't ever changes around here since the system is in place) but seems it can happen and they didn't think of that.
Agreed that is what i meant when i said it placed him within the NFZ. (on updating everything in flight, scary).

I still really would like to see what happens when ypu run into a geo fence i wonder if anyone has stuck one on you tube i am gonna go search

This post is a precaution against the GEO System feature in the Mavic Pro. After several batteries' worth of experimentation I have figured out how it works and when it could cause crashes not caused by pilot errors.

The scenario:
* You are in a non-NFZ area but a Restricted NFZ area is nearby (e.g., within a few miles)
* You fly the aircraft around your place, still avoiding the Restricted NFZ area
* The DJI Go app suddenly reports that you're in a NFZ and gives you 20 seconds to land
* After 20 seconds it automatically starts landing and nothing else you do could make it work (e.g., giving full throttle up, switching to Sport mode, initiating RTH)
* The aircraft continues to land, as you will likely lose signal due to losing VLOS, you fail to adjust its position to have it land in a favourable area. It ends up either hovering over a rooftop with not enough time for you to get it back, or crashing to a tree's branch.

Reasons for the forced landing:
* You have enabled GEO System in DJI Go, which is a live database of NFZ areas all over the world
* You have taken off whilst you have weak Wifi/3G signal: during the initial flight, the GEO System is enabled but has not been loaded yet
* At some point during flight, the GEO System becomes fully active. It turns out that the NFZ area has been expanded a few miles from the original Restricted NFZ e.g., an airport. You are now fully inside a NFZ so it forces you to land.

To avoid the forced landing, either:
* Turn off GEO System in DJI Go
* Do not use DJI Go for flying
* Make sure that the GEO System is active, and you have unlocked/authorised the surrounding NFZ area before flying (could be hard to detect if you've never flown in this area before)

If you have already taken off and the forced landing catches you by surprise:
* As you only have a bit over 20 seconds to react, quickly tap the 3 dots on the top-right of the app and scroll down to the GEO System settings
** Go to "Unlock", with any luck the new NFZ area would show. Tap on it to authorise, that would cancel the auto-landing
** Force-close DJI Go, restart and turn off GEO System (must be done very quickly because restarting the app takes a while). The reason for restarting DJI Go is because the app takes note of whether the aircraft has taken off and would lock the GEO System setting.
Here's a story to give you goosebumps.

This is interesting because Geo forced me to land just seconds before starting out over the Gulf of Mexico.

Geo was on. I was warned about a being in a yellow zone (which it shouldn't have been but that is a different issue)

I successfully self authorized, launched and hovered to do some camera settings. I was just about to launch out over the Gulf when forced to land.

So, my questions, with regard to your OP:

Why forced landing in a yellow zone (not red)? EDIT: You could be correct about restricted "area" being nearby, but "nearby" isn't a good excuse IMO. I was in an area with a lot of pancaked zones and restricted airspaces nearby, but if they are not accurately indicated as such, how are we able to properly prepare?

Why forced landing AFTER successful unlock, which indicates I was already recognized as being within the zone, and not being "discovered" within zone? EDIT: This newly expanded phantom restricted area still doesn't show up on any map.

Why then, after re-authorizing did it let me continue my flight without incident, with GEO still active?

Why forced to land at all because this is my f*** property and I should be able to operate it as I see fit.

I suppose that they will only rethink this nonsense after having to replace a bunch of drones erroneously being forced to land into traffic or water.

EDIT: Even though your reaction scenario might work, its chance being implemented within 20 seconds is questionable, even for someone primed and ready for this. It took me probably 15 for the shock of being forced to land wore off, read and comprehend what it was going to do next, and decide how I was going to handle it, by walking over to where it had begun it's descent and catching it to prevent it burying in the sand.

Last edited:
Reactions: flipf and Gary cato
a little different from the RTH reply from DJI.

I always check my GEO is off and fly in airplane mode.

How close did u get to losing the Mavic when you hit the NFZ or did you not actually fly into the GEO fence.

As in your scenario it places you in the NFZ already so it autolands you,

According to DJI if you fly towards and into a true no fly zone it will RTH when it hits the GEO fence but like everyone else who is gonna actually try it? i am not sure anyone will and openly report it.

It's not risky to try if you get to the edge of a yellow NFZ area. I can confirm that the Mavic would stop you from going further into the NFZ. It will not RTH and you can only fly around the GEO fence, which is a good behaviour in my opinion. This is on the latest 0.700 firmware.

The yellow NFZ is loaded from the Internet so if you have weak signal/turned on Airplane mode during take off then regain signal during flight, you might find that you're suddenly inside a NFZ whereas it was clear before. It's because the red (Restricted) NFZ area is much more tightly defined.

Where are these geo settings in the app? I haven't come across them. Running iOS

I use Android but it should be visible if you scroll down a bit after tapping on the "..." icon in the top right of the screen.

Note that at least on Android DJI Go might hide this section in some cases, typically if you have DJI Go opened before connecting to the aircraft. To make it appear it is best to:
* Turn on the RC
* Turn on the aircraft, wait for it to connect
* Open the app

Reactions: Budmancan and flipf

It's actually not uncommon as my original post refers to this scenario:

It can be reproduced by enabling Airplane mode before opening the DJI Go app, take off then disable Airplane mode:
* When Airplane mode is enabled, you should find that the GEO System section is hidden, at least on Android
* When Airplane mode is disabled, GEO System will return after a few minutes. If you're already airborne you might be taken by surprise with the new NFZ that didn't exist before i.e., the app lets you enter it unknowingly.

Reactions: k3vnnyork
Agreed that is what i meant when i said it placed him within the NFZ. (on updating everything in flight, scary).

I still really would like to see what happens when ypu run into a geo fence i wonder if anyone has stuck one on you tube i am gonna go search

I can confirm that on firmware 0.700 when you enter a NFZ the aircraft will prevent you from going in further. It is accurate to about 1/2 meters. You can only go back/around it.

Testing this feature whilst you're on the edge of a yellow NFZ should be fine, as I have done.

Here's a story to give you goosebumps.

This is interesting because Geo forced me to land just seconds before starting out over the Gulf of Mexico.

Geo was on. I was warned about a being in a yellow zone (which it shouldn't have been but that is a different issue)

I successfully self authorized, launched and hovered to do some camera settings. I was just about to launch out over the Gulf when forced to land.

So, my questions, with regard to your OP:
Why forced landing in a yellow zone (not red)? EDIT: You could be correct about restricted "area" being nearby, but "nearby" isn't a good excuse IMO. I was in an area with a lot of pancaked zones and restricted airspaces nearby, but if they are not accurately indicated as such, how are we able to properly prepare?

Why forced landing AFTER successful unlock, which indicates I was already recognized as being within the zone, and not being "discovered" within zone? EDIT: This newly expanded phantom restricted area still doesn't show up on any map.

It depends on whether the NFZ areas overlap. I think you might find that you took off inside a NFZ and was on the edge of another NFZ. These 2 NFZs require 2 different authorisations.

The catch is that if you have spotty 3G signal, the app might have failed to load the new NFZ until you were well inside it.

I also see that sometimes the app forgets authorisation which is a bug. I have had to re-authorise many times in just 1 month of owning the Mavic. I use both Litchi and DJI Go so it might have been a contributing factor. Checking DJI Go's settings before taking off is part of my pre-flight checks.

What could happen (and has happened to me) is:
* I give authorisation to fly in an area
* The next day I fly in the same area again
** After a few minutes it forces me to land as I'm inside a NFZ

Even though I already gave authorisation to fly in this area, the app has forgotten that. I unknowingly took off, thinking that I already authorised.

Why then, after re-authorizing did it let me continue my flight without incident, with GEO still active?

GEO System behaves as such:
* If you're outside of a NFZ, you can only go around it. You'd hit an invisible wall if you try.
* If you're already inside an NFZ without authorisation, you'll be forced to land.

The only way to cancel the auto-landing is to give authorisation or fly out of it.

I suppose that they will only rethink this nonsense after having to replace a bunch of drones erroneously being forced to land into traffic or water.

I think it's best to research the area you want to fly and disable the GEO System, it is only a feature in the DJI Go app. Truth be told, I'm still leaving it enabled as I know there is exactly 1 NFZ in my area. Additionally, for new areas it's worth knowing whether I'm flying legally or not but as you said, it'd be really dangerous if this feature kicks in and we're forced to land in the middle of a motorway.

The aircraft has a static and much more tightly defined database of NFZs that might only contain Restricted areas. If you fly without DJI Go you still have some protections there.

EDIT: Even though your reaction scenario might work, its chance being implemented within 20 seconds is questionable, even for someone primed and ready for this. It took me probably 15 for the shock of being forced to land wore off, read and comprehend what it was going to do next, and decide how I was going to handle it, by walking over to where it had begun it's descent and catching it to prevent it burying in the sand.

It will hover above an obstacle and hover 2 meters above ground so if you don't have any moving obstacles it will be safe as long as there's battery left. Additionally you are in full control of the aircraft when it auto-lands, the only things that you cannot do are:
* Increase its altitude
* Go further into the NFZ

Last edited:
It depends on whether the NFZ areas overlap. I think you might find that you took off inside a NFZ and was on the edge of another NFZ. These 2 NFZs require 2 different authorisations.

The catch is that if you have spotty 3G signal, the app might have failed to load the new NFZ until you were well inside it.

I also see that sometimes the app forgets authorisation which is a bug. I have had to re-authorise many times in just 1 month of owning the Mavic. I use both Litchi and DJI Go so it might have been a contributing factor. Checking DJI Go's settings before taking off is part of my pre-flight checks.

What could happen (and has happened to me) is:
* I give authorisation to fly in an area
* The next day I fly in the same area again
** After a few minutes it forces me to land as I'm inside a NFZ

Even though I already gave authorisation to fly in this area, the app has forgotten that. I unknowingly took off, thinking that I already authorised.

GEO System behaves as such:
* If you're outside of a NFZ, you can only go around it. You'd hit an invisible wall if you try.
* If you're already inside an NFZ without authorisation, you'll be forced to land.

The only way to cancel the auto-landing is to give authorisation or fly out of it.

I think it's best to research the area you want to fly and disable the GEO System, it is only a feature in the DJI Go app. Truth be told, I'm still leaving it enabled as I know there is exactly 1 NFZ in my area. Additionally, for new areas it's worth knowing whether I'm flying legally or not but as you said, it'd be really dangerous if this feature kicks in and we're forced to land in the middle of a motorway.

The aircraft has a static and much more tightly defined database of NFZs that might only contain Restricted areas. If you fly without DJI Go you still have some protections there.

It will hover above an obstacle and hover 2 meters above ground so if you don't have any moving obstacles it will be safe as long as there's battery left. Additionally you are in full control of the aircraft when it auto-lands, the only things that you cannot do are:
* Increase its altitude
* Go further into the NFZ

But you have never hit a red NFZ so no idea what happens at that point?

I still really would like to see what happens when ypu run into a geo fence
It jsut "slides" on the edge of the circle.

It's actually not uncommon as my original post refers to this scenario
I understood, my point is that NFZs being modified is quite rare, the one being mofified being one you're about to fly in is even more rare, and it happening at a precise time so that the DB update didn't happen before you're in flight in it becomes a case of real bad luck.

It jsut "slides" on the edge of the circle.

I understood, my point is that NFZs being modified is quite rare, the one being mofified being one you're about to fly in is even more rare, and it happening at a precise time so that the DB update didn't happen before you're in flight in it becomes a case of real bad luck.

It's not about the NFZs being modified, it's about them being updated which happens often during flight and everytime you opens DJI Go. The app doesn't store these dynamic NFZs at all and rely on a working Internet connection.

You can check which NFZs are loaded by GEO System and which come from the aircraft by enabling/disabling GEO System and check for differences in the map. Once you have identified which areas are these, you can reproduce the forced landing at will by toggling Airplane mode as I have described above.

But you have never hit a red NFZ so no idea what happens at that point?

I wonder...

Without getting into details, all I could say is that the static NFZ database seems to define at least all the red NFZs and the dynamic NFZ database i.e., GEO System defines the yellow NFZs. Even with GEO System disabled you should never be caught by surprise by an unannounced NFZ so hitting or being inside a red NFZ should not be a possibility.

You can check the static vs dynamic NFZs in these URLs:
DJI - Fly Safe: No Fly Zones
DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

You can't fly a Mavic with the current version of DJI GO 3.

When I go to Google Play for Android the only choices are DJI GO and DJI GO 4 I will assume you are calling basic DJI GO, DJI GO 3 for up to 3 but not 4 or related others like Mavic.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54