DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

GoPro Karma is back

Working as a photo-/videographer I don't like the wide angle and all the distortion of the GoPro. I do like the possibility to shoot real 1080 / 60fps with the GoPro.

Reactions: jerniganbrandon
“We’re a little bit embarrassed that it was something as basic as a battery retention issue,” GoPro CEO Nick Woodman said at a small press gathering at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show. “But at the same time we’re relieved that we can show the world that we do understand drones, we do understand the technology, and that it was an unfortunate mechanical engineering slip-up that led to the recall of Karma.”

If I had the cash and a good/legal place to fly nearby, I would buy.
It will be interesting to read pilot reports about the new Karma. The absence of avoidance sensors might turn out to be a good thing, considering the number of Mavic sensor "sensitivities" I've read about here. Not as compact, but comes with a pretty convenient backpack. Not sure about sun flares on GoPro cam, I use them a lot in land speed, but never flying into the sun 250ft up. The Handheld Gimbal is a great sell point, almost bought that a few times, we shall see how it handles crashes...........Casey N, time to make more V-log cash crashing Karmas.:cool:

jbareham_161026_1250_0033.0.0.jpeg

Working as a photo-/videographer I don't like the wide angle and all the distortion of the GoPro. I do like the possibility to shoot real 1080 / 60fps with the GoPro.
Same. Wide angle shots are nice, but not the entire footage. To me, it's more of a specialty look that adds variation to the end result. One of the reasons why I picked the Mavic over a Phantom.

Reactions: BeneluxStudio
“We’re a little bit embarrassed that it was something as basic as a battery retention issue,” GoPro CEO Nick Woodman

You should be embarrassed Nick Woodman. Very embarrassed. They were basically falling from the sky and could have killed people. I'd be more than a little embarrassed.

Reactions: McMavic
I would have expected them (GoPro) to reduce to selling price. IMO $499 for the base model would be a good price; especially since post the initial Karma launch everyone has seen the features that the Mavic has to offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerniganbrandon
I liked the concept. Like the camera. Don't like the product and would not feel safe flying one.

I really wouldn't be surprised if they came out with a much smaller Karma in a few months, that ditched the handheld gimble arm. That seems to make it larger and most drone pilots have no need for it.

I think the only selling point at this point is the hopes of using "the grip" not sure why I would want the karma drone versus the Mavic.

I am amazed at the traction this re-anouncement is getting among us.

Why would anyone get a first-time-around flying device from a company when there's another one in the market with heaps of experience in the field, one whose products continually deliver, model after model?

...but, most especially, why would any Mavic owner, a drone that is pretty much perfect in what relates to price vs. performance vs. size, even look twice at this clumsy (...and seemingly half-baked...) product?

Come on guys...are you so afflicted by consumerism that you can't recognize a small pearl when you've been offered one?

As far as I am concerned, the only thing that can improve my Mavic experience will be a new model with improved specs but under the exact same philosophy.

MK

Reactions: GlenT and Richard
I have to agree with some of the comments about the Karma being good in some aspects and believe it is a real contender for a number of reasons -

1) First and foremost, US based support that surely can't be as bad as DJI
2) modular camera that I think is better than Mavic's which does have issues (FOV, jello effect in video, sun flare)
3) no need to use cell phone w/ controller (and get interrupted by incoming calls, texts, etc.)
4) Karma is still relatively small in size when folded up
5) camera/gimbal more robust than Mavic's which in my experience is as fragile as an eggshell. I feel as though when DJI miniaturized the gimbal they miniaturized it's robustness.

I think the obstacle avoidance is still too early in it's infancy to really be anything worthwhile and is merely a marketing bullet point or gimmick, as it caused me grief with my Mavic. I've yet to hear of any instance when it prevented a collision. So I don't see that as a negative not being on the Karma.

Does anyone know if the Karma is manufactured in China or USA? If USA then I say that is also a plus.

The more I have looked at the Karma, I don't think its that bad. In fact, its very close to being the better option for most people. I love my Mavic, and certainly not switching, but here are my opinions:

1. Karma camera is far superior to the Mavic. Its much wider field of view. MUCH wider. Most of us shoot landscapes and want dramatic effects, and thats what you get from the Karma. Has more clarity to boot. I wish Mavic's camera had alternative lenses you could swap out.
I'd rather stitch a few photos together for a pano than be stuck with fisheye, but agree the fov is probably a touch too narrow

Reactions: Mavic Dan
It doesn't seem to be designed to compete w/ anything, it's missing too many features. Folding arms are the future, but DJI has a great method (patent?) that saves on space. I agree w/ whoever stated it wouldn't be getting any discussion if it wasn't from GoPro. Oh, and I hate the Fish Eye look its lens gives, a FE option would be much better.

The Karma's protection plan adds an additional year of warranty, but it's really expensive ($149 purchase & $159 to use!) and I can't tell if the Karma plan covers the camera. $800 for the Karma seems laughable, collision avoidance is worth the difference IMHO.

Just for "***** & giggles" I went over to the Karma forums and for the most part they are silent.

I hope that GoPro continues to develop the Karma. While the Mavic is killing it right now, I think the market really could use an American company willing to compete with DJI before they completely dominate. Obviously DJI has the drone experience, but GoPro really does great cameras and has a great brand, and their aerial platform is compelling from a stability/mass perspective. I think the Karma could more effectively compete with Phantom/Inspire because of the more capable camera and drone mass. I see a lot of DJI P4P/Inspire people at least thinking about Karma as a tool to put a Hero 5 Black up in the air. While it doesn't have the sensor suite to prevent whoopsies, in the hands of a good flyer it will still compete.

I hope GoPro succeeds. We need the competition.

I already have the camera and Karma Grip. When they come out with just the drone and controller i will buy it just to mess around with

Same here:) Will buy one to play with and give to the wife haha

Karma will continue to develop. GoPro stated that this first version was to simply get their cameras in the air stabilized. It wasn't meant to be a market killer with technology. That will come. They will still sell some (me included) and will hopefully gain enough traction to continue to develop it;)

I do like the grip . Looks pretty amazing but there is no way I would buy this iteration of the Karma. I would just be worried it would come down somewhere.. these things are not toys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Time will balance the equation and confidence. People will buy, people will report and if it is good, it will drive competition (which is essential to push DJI back to humility) and both will continue to evolve and develop.

I bet airplanes were crap until there were two models ;-)

Then Boeing, Douglas and all those other guys started leap frogging each other and within a short lifespan of a human, we went from something flying in the sands of Kitty Hawk to a 747 sitting on the apron in the early 60's !!! Technology catapults forward when there are more than one horse in the race.

Competition is good and needed. Just look how much it drove DJI. The Karma introduction and press day was eye catching. I wouldn't be surprised that the original price for the Mavic was going to start at $1299 or higher, especially since it eclipsed everything else they had. It really made no sense, but we consumers loved it and benefited from it.

Reactions: Tomdog
I think that's going to be a REALLY tough sell for them now. If all they've done is fix the battery disconnection issue, then it's still a LONG WAY behind the competition from what I saw of the reviews. There were so many issues with it.

[DevilsAdvocateMode=ON]
I believe they'll do well with it. While it's not as fantastically packaged as the MP and is short on the many advanced features of DJI's "state", it does have a very compelling value proposition wrt to people who own GoPro cameras or who are looking to enter the field. The handheld gimbal as an accessory for budding film makers is another reason as is the dedicated display.

I'd say the optional GoPro Hero Black is probably a better camera in most (all?) respects than the MP's camera. [/DevilsAdvocateMode]

It's a shame because some healthy competition to DJI would benefit all of us.

Indeed and always. That said I'm quite amazed at what DJI do as a drone maker - very far from sitting on their laurels - the value proposition seems very good to me.

With GoPro (re-) entering the field I suspect the MP 2 will be mouth watering - beginning with a much improved camera.

(edit: added the display to the + column).

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne