DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ground elevation on a sectional chart

Per the dictionary:
Terrain or relief (also topographical relief) involves the vertical and horizontal dimensions of land surface.
So we are talking about the ground only.

So on a timed test we're supposed to look at every terrain elevation marker and spot the range?

There's no faster way to determine the highest and lowest terrain elevation points on a sectional chart quadrant?

No wonder very few people pass with 100%.

Per the dictionary:
Terrain or relief (also topographical relief) involves the vertical and horizontal dimensions of land surface.
So we are talking about the ground only.
The highest point I can find on that route is a 2524' tower that is 303' above the ground, making the ground elevation at that point 2221'. I haven't found a 'charted' terrain elevation higher than that. This would make 2000 2500 the closest answer.

It’s a tricky question that has to do with MEF (Maximum Elevation Figure) which is the bold blue number in the quadrant. In this case it is 28 for 2800 feet. The MEF is calculated in one of two ways depending on whether the highest point is natural or man made. Long story short, if it is natural the MEF will be 300 feet greater so in this case it can’t be 2700 feet. If you search “Aeronautical Sectional MEF” you can download the FAA’s guide and it’s on page 14. There are also some YouTube videos. The only reason you know the 2000 ft figure is because it’s your only choice, there is no sea level anywhere on that chart.

See, tricky question, huh?

If it makes you feel any better, I could not get that sample question right either (or figure out their rational for whatever answer was right) and I got a 93 on my 107 exam. Keep studying around it and you'll do fine.

Peter T

It's a typical trick FAA question that is more riddle than knowledge assessment. These types of questions are sprinkled through all of their tests just to make it near impossible to get a 100% score. So, as noted, it's not necessary to get it because all you need is 70%. In this question they start out by misleading you into believing that there is information on the chart that tells you the lowest and highest elevation of the terrain in the "tan" area. There isn't. All you have is the blue MEF number of 2800 feet. So if you know how the MEF is determined it then just comes down to a process of eliminating the given answers. First you eliminate the sea level answer, second both other choices begin at 2000 feet so the only other choice is between 2500 feet or 2700 feet as the highest terrain. Finally you conclude that if the highest terrain in the quadrant was 2700 feet then the MEF would have to be 3000 feet so you eliminate that answer which leaves you with only one choice.

To be fair, all of the questions have all of the info needed to derive the correct answer but they hide it in a bunch of irrelevant information to throw you off the track. So do you want to spend 20 minutes during your test to figure out this guys puzzle? Probably not and that's why virtually no one ever gets 100% on any FAA test.

I want to defend the FAA a little bit on this question. Every one of us who worked on this problem, now know more about VFR charts that we did before the FAA authored the question. Just say'n.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
That's true, including myself and I've been a pilot using these charts for over 40 years, I had to pull out the book and do a little digging to figure it out.

As an interesting side note: virtually nobody uses these charts anymore, we all have our iPads or Garmins but when the electronic tech first appeared years ago the moving map displays were very different because it just made sense in electronic format to use the capabilities of that format and not to clutter it with information that is not necessary at the time. All the info was there but only shown when needed. The sectional chart was designed to put as much information as possible on a 2D printed sheet of paper and all of it had to be there all the time whether you were using it or not. But over time pilots demonstrated that despite being in electronic form what they wanted to see was the old familiar VFR sectional chart and the result is that every flight Nav app or device nowadays has a moving map display that looks exactly like and actually is a good old fashioned sectional chart. That's completely market driven by the desires of the end users because it makes no sense technically.

I am actively studying for the 107 exam and this question drove me nuts. However, in addition to what has been said by others, I would add one more point. (I have to admit, I got this from a reply about this same question by someone on a YouTube video that reviewed the 3DR test questions).
In the FAA Aeronautical chart users guide (https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/fli...ts/aero_guide/media/editions/cug-complete.pdf) on page 11, it says

1. Contour lines join points of equal elevation. On Sectionals, basic contours are spaced at 500' intervals. Intermediate contours are typically at 250' intervals in moderately level or gently rolling areas. Auxiliary contours at 50', 100', 125', or 150' intervals occasionally show smaller relief features in areas of relatively low relief. The pattern of these lines and their spacing gives the pilot a visual concept of the terrain. Widely spaced contours represent gentle slopes, while closely spaced contours represent steep slopes.

If you look at chart 21 of the 107 exam supplement (https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/supplements/media/sport_rec_private_akts.pdf) you will see that there is one of those 500 foot contours labeled 1500 that can be seen as a grey line well to the right of Minot airport just below where it says Sauris River. Once I realized that such lines existed, I went back and looked for a similar line for 2500 feet which I did not find. This would suggest that the terrain elevation does not go higher than 2500 ft. I would also point out to the FAA (as if they would listen) that a line between area 1 and 2 would include some of the green area which is BELOW 2000 feet.

I am schedule for the test in the morning. This question also have me stumped.

I am sorry for those that to fly a simple drone commercially and legally within VLOS , that the FAA feels this type of knowledge is required. It really has nothing to do with flying a drone legally if you think about it. Its not like a drone pilot needs to calculate an approach to the runway or airport. They only to stay out of those areas used by aircraft. Usually identifiable by the planes flying in and out of it.
It should only be an "if there is something there, dont fly into it, and stay away from manned aircraft areas above 500' " thing. There is no reason for the FAA to require you to have the ability to identify on a map what you can see from where you are standing, because it is illegal, by their own rules, for you to fly a drone where you cant see it

Last edited:
I passed the test

Thanks

the bottom is obviously what MajorNadds pointed out (a topo line elevation) ==2000
What about the wind turbines?
per the Aeronautical Chart User's Guide:
Wind Turbine Farms
When highest wind turbine is unverified, UC will be shown after MSL value
==2676
That would make the correct answer 2000-2700, right?

Last edited:
Reactions: crlmjohnson
correct.

Choices are:

2,000 feet to 2,500 feet MSL
2,000 feet to 2,700 feet MSL
sea level to 2,000 feet MSL

The answer is 2000 - 2500 the tan goes from 2000 - 3000 and look at the legend it says the contours are spaced at 500 feet for this area. The choice of sea level to 2000 is wrong since you know is above 2000 and the 2700 is wrong or you would see at least one contour line at 2500 so the only answer left is 2000 - 2500 but not including 2500 lol

So are you saying that wind turbine entry does not specify ground level?
If so, what does 2676 UC mean?
And why would the manual say
Wind Turbine Farms
When highest wind turbine is unverified, UC will be shown after MSL value

The questions reads ground elevation in the tan area, not highest man made object. Correct UC means under construction. Since the legend clearly states 2000 - 3000 and a contour every 500 feet with no contours shown on the map it has to be 2000 - 2500

I don't think so. They are not going to have contours for 2676 ft. Windmills will typically be on high ground. An MSL of 2676, or 176 ft above the last contour is perfectly reasonable. There would not be another ground contour.

What is MSL? Are you saying that is an estimate of what the Windmill elevation WILL be?
I'm having my doubts about that. IMHO, Mean Sea Level refers to a ground level, not a structure height. When anything else is marked it is marked MSL + its height.
Do you have any reference for that view?

I will present it to my neighbor pilot tomorrow.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boonaga