DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Had my first semi "confrontation"

SpyderSkeets

Reactions
So I was walking along a walking/bike path with my Mavic2 about 150 feet above me when a man coming from the other way, at first seemingly with a "oh, cool, a drone" look on his face. We exchanged "hellos" and as we pass each other, he asks if I am recording. I say yes. He then asks if I am recording him. I tell him that he might happen to be in the video but that I wasn't actually recording him (mind you, I was 150 feet up, so we were specks anyway) he then jumps in my face and asks me why I was recording him. We exchange some unpleasant words and I tell him that this is public property, blah blah blah. I ignore whatever he was saying and go on my merry way. What a jerk.
Turns out that I wasn't even recording like I thought I was!

If he requests that you delete it, some states require you to do so. Not everyone wants to be recorded by a complete stranger, so YOU need to be mindful of what you're doing.

Reactions: Peter Powers
I agree that not everyone wants to be recorded, but it was on public property and how is it any different than being inadvertently recorded or photographed by anyone recording or taking pics of anything by anyone? Say I'm at a sporting event and I take a picture that someone happens to be in the background. Am I supposed to delete that pic if that person wants me to?

I agree that not everyone wants to be recorded, but it was on public property and how is it any different than being inadvertently recorded or photographed by anyone recording or taking pics of anything by anyone? Say I'm at a sporting event and I take a picture that someone happens to be in the background. Am I supposed to delete that pic if that person wants me to?
in the states that require you to do so, I would assume yes.
Have you never seen people blurred out in photos and videos before? Its the same principle.

Sooo, what about paparazzis? If people don't want to be photographed, they should go out in public with a MASK! LOL

Believe it or not, there are different laws for the legality of images/videos captured via a drone vs. images/videos captured via cell phone/DSLR, surveillance cam, or even a helicopter. Then there are exceptions if you're doing something like aerial mapping.

Bottom line: know your local laws and be aware drones freak some people out.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
There are " " everywhere regardless of the situation. Mans best friend heels at our side like a shadow on our walks and yet when people have unruly dogs pulling on them and trying to get at Brodie they will sometimes yell at us "why is your dog not leashed" while wrestling with their untrained dog. We just smile and 'have a nice day". Americans (I am one) seem to be inheritanly unhappy/nasty. Just be polite and move along.

Last edited:
Yep, way to many people freak out on flying cameras, they all think they are main object being filmed. While in reality, they like an ant in nice photo or video.

Reactions: Fedexultra
That is so true! YouTube is full of those videos including number plates, how come that’s not an ‘issue’??

dash cams are viewed by the general public as a legal safety device. drones are seen as a hobby for creeps who fly/spy illegally and violate the law.

Dash cams are not as visible as a drone. You can also not just walk up to someone driving a car to complain about their dash cam.

Cars only drive on the road. Many drone privacy issues are because drones fly over parks and private property.

As a new owner of MP I'm always concern about possibility of confrontations when flying my drone. In addition, living in Toronto is not easy to find good/save place to fly drones so for first 3 months I only flew my MP once. I also bought TELLO which I used mostly inside to learn how to fly/control drone.
Three weeks ago, with my friend, we went for a motorcycle trip to Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. On the third day of the trip we spotted nice covered bridge and we decided to stop and record some footage using GoPro cameras and MP. I flew MP up and down the river recording video and as I was about to come back and land my drone I notice a car parking next to our motorcycles. My first reaction was I'm in trouble and all the fun/joy from flying my drone just disappeared in instance. Two men emerged from the car and they approach us, after usual exchange of 'HELLO' and 'HOW ARE YOU?' they look at the display of the monitor, smile and the only question they asked was:
"When you flew over the river did you see any salmon?"
I laughed and said the only salmon I've ever seen was when my wife serves one for dinner on a plate. This was a breaking point for me, from this point on I flew my MP number of times and really enjoy the experience. Majority of people don't mind drones or video cameras but there are always few which are exceptions.
The attached footage documents this story and I have to say this is my favorite clip from the entire trip:

I suggest that over time you develop your own personal policy of what you will and will not shoot, as well as how you handle people who approach you.

My personal list: First, I suggest if you are not shooting footage to keep then don't admit to filming. You were just testing and could have avoided the confrontation. Second, I don't talk to people while flying: "I can't talk until I land". I'm willing to come off as rude on this point. You may have other ideas of how to handle people.

I will even not engage with people while just shooting stills during golden hours or other time-limited situations. I've spent time and money to film in a certain place and a certain time and I find many people's disregard for that fact that I am obviously busy to be rude.

The worst I find is not drone flying, but doing large format (film) photography. Drone flying can be obscured by launching from a more hidden location. It's the youtube extroverts who make launching from the middle of a field in view of everyone in the area seem normal.

What states 'require' you to delete pictures or video of people in public places?
I'm curious too. Usually it boils down to an "Expectation of Privacy." There isn't any at public locations. Photography and Videography are generally protected by 1st Amendment rights. So as long as it's a public place, there shouldn't be any laws against it. The big exception is for Audio. There are Eavesdropping laws that make it illegal to record conversations without permission. This isn't typically a problem with Drones, at least DJI drones since they don't record audio. Even then, many states allow it as long as one party consents to the recording.

So I was walking along a walking/bike path with my Mavic2 about 150 feet above me when a man coming from the other way, at first seemingly with a "oh, cool, a drone" look on his face. We exchanged "hellos" and as we pass each other, he asks if I am recording. I say yes. He then asks if I am recording him. I tell him that he might happen to be in the video but that I wasn't actually recording him (mind you, I was 150 feet up, so we were specks anyway) he then jumps in my face and asks me why I was recording him. We exchange some unpleasant words and I tell him that this is public property, blah blah blah. I ignore whatever he was saying and go on my merry way. What a jerk.
Turns out that I wasn't even recording like I thought I was!
The public does not understand the limited capability of commercial drone cameras. They think every drone has a military grade zoom on it that can recognize a face.

I have this conversation repeatedly, even with friends who know better. You have to explain that the drone is the equivalent of holding your phone 150' away and taking a picture. It'll be a cool view, but it's hardly an invasion of privacy.

But yes, we have to be polite. Try to explain that. Apologize and move along. You never know which idiot is going to make a stink at a board meeting and get rules changed to our detriment.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom