DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Has anybody ever flown in a national park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is essentially what I was saying. But I was referring to his comment of not violating the "spirit" of the rule by not overflying from outside the boundaries. For those who don't agree with the "Ban" that is their only solution, and I cannot find fault with them.

Fair enough but, subject to the VLOS requirement, flying in from outside a park is completely legal - even the NPS has confirmed that.

If you accept that the rule isn't being violated by significant numbers... the evidence seems to contradict that.

I'm sure it's being violated, but I would guess that there are far fewer flights in National Parks than there would be if there were no prohibition. And that's what most regulation is about - reduction rather than elimination.

please see the video, this was made by my friend.

He brings up a good point though - I've likely wasted quite a bit of time responding to nonsense. I need to resist the temptation.

First of all, if you want to cut back on hours or take time off you will have to submit permit app just like everyone else here. Frankly, it sounds a little selfish to me. More importantly, however, do not discount the value of wasted time!

“Creativity is the residue of time wasted.”
Albert Einstein

1544418711890.png

Reactions: badaxed and sar104
Cute answer. Where did you come up with the "you detain him" thing by the way? I'm pretty darn sure I just said I'd document and assist them in identifying and bringing charges. Do you typically interpret things you read wrong and interject your own words into something someone has said? Interesting behavior.
First off it was funny and when people on here get angry about another persons comment it’s always good to interject a little humor. Second, you are the one who said you would be doing whatever you could to report a flier if you saw one flying where they shouldn’t. I thought that’s straight junior GMan work. So I figured you needed a badge to complement you attitude and work. Hey, you want to go on vacation and be deputy dog (old school reference) take a badge with you pardner!

Don’t take my comments too seriously I’m just funnin!

Last edited:
Yes I know it is illegal and no I have not done it before, but I'd be lying if I wasn't extremely tempted. My motto with flying drones has always been to be safe and responsible, which generally means NEVER flying over people, never going LOS, landing when helis are in the area, and notifying respective ATC's if necessary among a few other things. It seems so unnecessary to completely ban drones from national parks because they "disturb the peace". To a point I can understand that as drones can be fairly irritating to some people, but if nobody is around I really don't see the harm. What is your guys opinion on this?

There is a raging a active debate in the rule and regs forum. You should check it out and the video that started the discussion. The short story is if you launch, operate and land outside the park, abide by all FAA rules, don’t bother wildlife or people, it’s perfectly legal. Violate any of those guidelines, and you are subject to penalties.

I would say yours is a SELF centered view. There’s room for all. Also, I’ve never flown in a Park. I have plenty of open space where I live.

Ps. I bet you follow the speed limits at all time as well! I don’t. Sorry
Ah. Yes. The standard speed limit response. I actually got pulled over yesterday...luckily, I’m respectful and understand when I’m in the wrong and got off with a fair warning.

Of course my opinion is SELF centered - it’s MY opinion!
Not sure you added anything to the discussion but appreciate the time to respond. Your entitled to an opposing viewpoint and wish you well.

The scent left behind by a human (or any other animal not normally there) is far more disruptive to most animals than most drone use would be.

But any animal that perceives the drone as a threat would be affected. I've accidentally triggered a small flock of shorebirds to take off when I flew my drone too close - this obviously causes a disruption to their feeding and unnecessary use of energy for flight. However, this was on a dog off-leash beach, where dogs frequently chase the birds and do the same thing... so while I believe drones can be detrimental to wildlife, responsible flyers can cause far less disruption and damage than many, many other things humans do to animals.
Can we add climate change deniers to the list?

So Harleys, cruising right through the middle of The Great Smokey's, or snowmobiles cruising through Yellowstone, disturb animals less than a 1.5 lb drone?

No they just bring in lots more money.
Heck look at the tour busses. Puking out smoke. Thousands of people putting a huge stress on the park ( man ( aka toylets, garbage.and critter -dogs- type of stresses).
the bus company’s leave lots of money behind. And the tourists spend cash, cc’s in the gift shop. And snack bar.

How much do drone flyers spend??

Last edited:
Reactions: bushie
No they just bring in lots more money.
Heck look at the tour busses. Puking out smoke. Thousands of people putting a huge stress on the park ( man ( aka toylets, garbage.and critter -dogs- type of stresses).
the bus company’s leave lots of money behind. And the tourists spend cash, cc’s in the gift shop. And snack bar.

How much do drone flyers spend??
Is there a Pub?

Reactions: Imtnbike and sar104
vfil5i.jpg

Even if there are no humans around aren't you going to disturb the peace of the animals?

No, not if done responsibly, and there is little to NO research on this subject, just a general ban... "just because it MAY disturb wildlife". There are plenty video's posted showing the reactions of various animals to drones on YouTube. It is very obvious that some animals react badly and some do not react at all until you are very, very close.

My pet peeve is the 1000 foot distance you are supposed to stay away from whales, dolphins etc. My brother has done research for a large conservation group and the whales are completely oblivious to a drone.

Don't get me wrong, I do feel there needs to be a good distance between any aircraft and an animal, but I think it should not mean an all out ban - ridiculous. At a minimum there should be a permit you could obtain through the park service.

Actually, my point was, that it is actually NOT ILLEGAL to fly over park airspace as long as you don't launch or recover from there. There is not a airspace restriction of any kind other than altitude restrictions over officially designated Wilderness Areas. This has come directly from the mouths of several park rangers to whom I have spoken. I just would caution that you would need to exercise good judgement before going that route, and It's usually not worth it anyway... especially if adhering to LOS requirements.

The minimum altitude over a vast majority of the California coast is 1000 feet, ridiculous. With a max of 400 feet as per FAA, this basically is a ban on flying these areas - period.

Sure. I've read every word of that nonsense document, back in 2014 when it was published.

You do actually understand that the ban was a TEMPORARY solution, and this document directed the NPS to find ways to INTEGRATE them into the parks? 4 years later... crickets.

The amount of paranoia, overreaction, and bureaucratic overkill is simply astounding to anyone who actually reads this.

Absolutely - the thing is, it is just easier to BAN something, than to have to figure out a way to make it work. Typical government bureaucracy!

Reactions: badaxed
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2