DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hawks/Eagle - birds of prey attacks?

• Thread starter Deleted member 18259
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18259

Having just visited Switzerland and flying in the mountains I've encountered a lot of birds of prey. Each time one has come close I've flown low and back as fast as possible. They don't seem to attack, but they do circle above and are very curious... Has anyone had an actual attacks? If so from which birds?

I can't image that either bird of drone will come off well from a collision!

Flying low might not always be the right solution. Most birds of prey can dive very fast but they are slow at gaining altitude. Going up above them is the best escape.

I have been buzzed by Red Kites here in Switzerland. Usually they have a look and leave again. Only once one was getting too close for comfort. I switched to Sport mode and went straight up. The bird pretty much immediately lost sight of my Mavic and flew off.

Of course! That is excellent advice... and so logical! Flying in Switzerland was so good by the way, incredible landscape.

Of course! That is excellent advice... and so logical! Flying in Switzerland was so good by the way, incredible landscape.
Sorry man, we need footage! Love Switzerland and the Alps, hope to fly there soon!

I've had a red kite have a proper go at my Mavic, scared the heck out of me. I had to take some fairly aggressive evasive manoeuvres to avoid a collision. Needless to say I got the f*** outta there

My Mavic has been buzzed by a flock of Lorikeets every time I put it up in my suburb on the northern beaches of Sydney. They don't come too close, but are obviously fascinated by it. Flying it in the Chobe in Botswana a couple of weeks ago my Mavic was inspected by a Bataleur eagle. It took a pass it at and I quickly brought it back down in case it took further interest.

I have only experienced a bird targeting my Mavic once. It was in NZ and one of their giant seagulls chased me around for a good 30-45 seconds. I was hovering over a pier and the seagull was sitting on one of the posts. It took off and started squawking and climbing in a circle till it was at a similar height as the Mavic (about 30 meters). I made some evasive motions and moved away but it kept following for quite some time. I eventually decided that I'd had enough and since I couldn't reduce my altitude (as it was keeping up underneath), I popped the Mavic into sport mode full throttled up and away. He was quite fast and could somewhat keep up in land speed, but not even close in vertical speed. I reached the 120m altitude ceiling and just kept going until it gave up. I probably ended up about 500m away from my original point by the time the chase finished. It must have had a nest nearby and thought I was a hark or such after it's young.

All in all, the Mavic wasn't really in any danger, but I could see it becoming and issue it the bird was VERY determined and you reached the AGL height limits. Best best is to move into sports mode as soon as you realise what's happening, get high and far away. I'd assume most birds would only chase to protect their young.

A Mississippi Kite attacked my Mavic Pro a few weeks ago. I didn't come out with any damage though.

I've had Crows, Swift's, Seagulls and Storks buzzing me while flying.... Need some crazy decals to scare then off.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bertmag