DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Height above ground indicator

Ozdriver

Reactions
Hi, newbie here.
I need to know height above ground rather than altitude. It shows it on the controller, but not on the app. As I am using an iPad this is inconvenient as I have to keep glancing at the controller, and I live in a heavily treed area with powerlines everywhere.
Is there any way of getting the height above ground indication onto the iPad screen? Or maybe there will be a future update?

Is there any way of getting the height above ground indication onto the iPad screen?
If your Mavic is flying close enough above the ground (or a tree), you'll be able to see the distance between the bottom of the Mavic and the top of the obstacle below the Mavic if the downward sensors are enabled (as long as there is enough light in the flying area). That measurement will display here in DJI GO:

DJI-GO-VPS-Altitude.jpg

I wouldn't recommend relying on those sensors 100% though. When flying near obstacles, it's best to always use your eyes (VLOS).

maybe there will be a future update?
I doubt DJI will ever attempt to add such a feature. There's likely too much room for error.

Reactions: Ozdriver
Ah, thanks. I must have missed seeing it on the screen.
Another thing, I landed on my brother’s deck next door, and it created a new RTH point, so when I pressed RTH, it wanted to return to his place. How can I get it to return to my original take off point at my house? I guess you could set it to return to the controller, but that way I imagine it would rely solely on gps of the controller.

How can I get it to return to my original take off point at my house?
There's no way to revert the home point after it has been updated.

The best you could have done was set the home point to your mobile device's current location. All should be fine if that location is accurate.

There's no way to revert the home point after it has been updated.

The best you could have done was set the home point to your mobile device's current location. All should be fine if that location is accurate.
Risky if the mobile GPS is out. I would not recommend. Manually fly it to where you want to land. Good practise!

Hi, newbie here.
I need to know height above ground rather than altitude. It shows it on the controller, but not on the app. As I am using an iPad this is inconvenient as I have to keep glancing at the controller, and I live in a heavily treed area with powerlines everywhere.
Is there any way of getting the height above ground indication onto the iPad screen? Or maybe there will be a future update?

Maybe I have misunderstood your question but, other than the VPS sensor reading which only works within 10 m or so and doesn't know the ground from the top of a structure or a tree, the Mavic is completely unaware of its height above ground level. What it displays, on both the controller and the mobile device, is height relative to the takeoff point, not relative to the ground underneath it in flight.

Maybe I have misunderstood your question but, other than the VPS sensor reading which only works within 10 m or so and doesn't know the ground from the top of a structure or a tree, the Mavic is completely unaware of its height above ground level. What it displays, on both the controller and the mobile device, is height relative to the takeoff point, not relative to the ground underneath it in flight.
I was looking for distance to ground rather than altitude, and I found it was on the iPad screen after all as the VPS indicator. It seems to work below about 7 meters, above that it changes to another indicator.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK farming