DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello FAA (or Nat'l Equalivent) or . . . Confessions Are Good For The Soul

theDRONEranger

Premium Pilot
Reactions
It really does give me humor and horror when I read and realize how many pilots out there, (in the many wonderful lands around the globe), lend themselves to self confession. Examples are varied and many of the violations. Violations either by mistake or on purpose. Violations such as "I did a VLOS flight of (exaggerated) 23 miles and never lost sight." "What is your longest?" "Here's my video of my drone flying over a car/truck/ship/train loaded with a highly explosive substance, and clearly marked hazardous material." "I placed strobes on my Mavic Air so now I can maintain VLOS up to 45 miles away." How about the videos posted that show the DRONE takeoff from point A, fly over 3 or 4 city blocks, across the river, trees, buildings, etc, and the pilot expects us to believe they maintained VLOS the whole time.

I have to sit back and laugh at these self confessions. It seemingly is sending a message to the FAA (or respective national authority) and saying, "I know what the rules are but I just have to prove I don't care!" And so, these individuals that proclaim to be responsible pilots start a thread and/or post a video bragging of their inability to fly within the limits of the law. And, some even go further and encourage others to violate the law as well by asking "Have you tried this bypass?" or "How far can you go?", or "How can I still fly in the TFZ when I am 15 miles away?", etc, etc!

Should we NOT, as members of this FORUM, be open to display ourselves as responsible, lawful pilots? Should we not be encouraging other to promote the drone community as a responsible entity. One which has the public drone industry first and foremost in mind by promoting a safe and responsible environment of piloting by ourselves and all others. Should we not condemn the FAA (others) for placing more and more strict rules of flying, when we ourselves cannot abide by the rules set forth already? As members of the drone industry, we should be able to point out, to others, the mistakes and infractions of simple and blatant violations! If I am making a mistake, or more clearly violating the law, when I am flying, please tell me, so I may correct the inappropriate action. Help me to become a better pilot. Be gentle, but firm. Let me know specifically what I did wrong and why it was wrong! I can take it. If not, I have a blanket and pacifier and I know where the corner of the room is! Been there, done that!

Do NOT be condemning of others for responding to the violations of a pilot that has posted obvious violations, as they are attempting to correct a wrong! Often, those persons are trying to help the forum as a whole by letting all know of the errors. Do NOT condemn the pilot for making an error the pilot may not be aware of! The forum should be a place where we can all exchange ideas and encourage each other to grow. We should NOT condemn and crucify another for their errors, but rather help them grow. Let others know of their mistakes, their errors, their violations. Do NOT be afraid to cite the offense and offer corrective action.

DOES BIG BROTHER WATCH AND READ? FAR TOO OFTEN WE CAN READ, ON THIS FORUM, THE SINS OF OURSELVES! HOW EASY IS IT FOR THE FAA, CAA, OTHER RESPECTIVE AGENCIES TO STOP BY AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES OUR SINS. WE ARE FAR OPEN TO BOASTING OUR SKILLS AND ABILITIES. WE OPENLY SHOW WE HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE AUTHORITY THAT GIVES US PERMISSION TO FLY (MOSTLY WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONSTRAINT). BUT, WHEN THE AUTHORITY SUGGESTS A CHANGE OR MODIFICATION TO THE RULES OF FLIGHT, WE CRY AND SCREAM AND THROW A TANTRUM AND WONDER "WHY ON EARTH DID THEY WANT TO DO THAT?" THE ANSWER WAS OBVIOUS ALL ALONG! WASN'T IT?

REMEMBER, ALL BIG BROTHER HAS TO DO IS VIEW THIS FORUM TO SEE IF MEMBERS OF THE INDUSTRY ABIDE BY RULES OR NOT. ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO READ, BUT TO POST!

MORALE IF THE STORY IS . . . IF YOU WISH TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALIGNED WITH THE LAWFUL FLIGHT OF A DRONE. DO NOT POST IT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!

KUDOS TO THE ADMINISTRATORS/MAINTAINERS, THEY DO A THANKLESS AND WONDERFUL JOB AT KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE AND INFORMATIVE. MODERATORS DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT RESOURCES TO THOROUGHLY VIEW EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO. THERE IS MUCH MORE INVOLVED THAT PROHIBITS THEM FROM READING/REVIEWING EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO TO DETERMINE IF THE CONTENT WAS A LEGAL ACTION OR NOT. HELP THEM ALONG AND STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE LAW. IF YOU VIEW A NEW THREAD (OR POSTING) THAT YOU BELIEVE IS DEMONSTRATING ILLEGAL/WRONGFUL ACTIVITY, MESSAGE A MODERATOR! LET THEM MAKE A DECISION, THAT'S THEIR JOB!!! THAT WOULD TRULY BENEFIT ALL MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND PROMOTE RESPONSIBILITY WITHIN THE COMMUNITY.

I ENCOURAGE EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM TO ABIDE BY THE RULES ESTABLISHED FOR SAFE FLIGHT, PROMOTE AND DEMONSTRATE A HIGH DEGREE OF RESPECT FOR THE INDUSTRY, BY SHARING THE SAFE AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF DRONE FLIGHT WITH ALL, HELPING TO KEEP THIS INDUSTRY ALIVE THROUGH ADHERENCE TO THE APPLICABLE RULES AND LAWS, AND KINDLY WARN OTHERS OF POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS AND ACTIONS TO CORRECT.

DO NOT GIVE THE FAA (OTHER ENTITIES) AMMUNITION TO RESTRICT THE INDUSTRY ANY MORE THAN IT IS!

Being you brought staff into this
MESSAGE A MODERATOR! LET THEM MAKE A DECISION, THAT'S THEIR JOB!!! THAT WOULD TRULY BENEFIT ALL MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND PROMOTE RESPONSIBILITY WITHIN THE COMMUNITY.
and I am not speaking for the others but I have to go by the guidelines here and even have more than members I have to go by this from them.
  • 15. The Forum Owners strongly encourage users to obey all federal and local laws and regulations when flying. It is a helpful service to the community when members guide others in understanding and following the regulations. Meanwhile, fully understanding all international rules and regulations is complex and it is not the responsibility of the forum owners, moderators or community members to police and enforce these rules and regulations. Any violation of another community rule, even if in the context of attempting to help enforce flying laws and regulations, is prohibited.
So it is not my place to delete or alter every video or post I don't agree or anyone else for that matter
with unless it violates one of the others that We all agreed to when we joined and they are there whether or not you or anyone else read them. The box was clicked or you would not be here .
You are correct we can't see all and do appreciate when something is reported so we can look at it.
But that is what we go by. And don't take this wrong but this is a privately owned forum not a
community owned one so those guidelines are what they are.
There is lots more I could say but is no need as I am not a good writer ,might throw out a good gif time to time but thats it. Staff is not paid to be here and do the best we can going by those guidelines .
Not saying I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote just saying how it is .
That's all I can say and maybe @BigAl07 or @clackey might chime in on this I don't know .

Very well said @dirkclod

We have our hands full (over flowing sometimes) trying to keep things clean and organized (spammers never sleep) behind the curtain. While I probably read and "post" more than I should most of the time we are trying to put out fires and hit the high spots on our way through. Not only can we not read every post we don't want to LOL.

As Dirk said, we have the Community Guidelines that are our rule book and as long as you don't post something that violates one of those we really do not WANT to edit, delete, warn, or ban. Sometimes (fairly often) we have to bite our tongues (usually virtually but now and again literally LOL) and not post against something simply because we don't agree with it. If it doesn't violate the rules we try to let it go.... that's the sincere goal for the forum is to allow open and free discussion so long as it falls within said guidelines.

In terms of "Responding to Violations" that's a slippery slope (which I'm guilty of more often than not) that is hard to navigate. If you can "kindly" let someone know they blatantly broke a law etc then by all means do so. If you can't do it nicely (NICE is one of our core principles on the forums BTW) then move on and don't drag yourself into the ditch with someone just to try and prove a point.

For the record, it's been proven many times on this forum and the other Pilots forums that the ABC entities do browse and read our forums once in a while. People have gotten "the letter" or "the phone call" strictly from things they posted on this forum and only this forum. Anything you post CAN be seen by anyone on the web regardless of who they work for so if you put it out there... what happens after that is your baby good or bad.

Be nice, help each other, and let's all enjoy this fun and AMAZING hobby/industry legally and SAFELY!

Being you brought staff into this

and I am not speaking for the others but I have to go by the guidelines here and even have more than members I have to go by this from them.

So it is not my place to delete or alter every video or post I don't agree or anyone else for that matter
with unless it violates one of the others that We all agreed to when we joined and they are there whether or not you or anyone else read them. The box was clicked or you would not be here .
You are correct we can't see all and do appreciate when something is reported so we can look at it.
But that is what we go by. And don't take this wrong but this is a privately owned forum not a
community owned one so those guidelines are what they are.
There is lots more I could say but is no need as I am not a good writer ,might throw out a good gif time to time but thats it. Staff is not paid to be here and do the best we can going by those guidelines .
Not saying I don't agree with a lot of what you wrote just saying how it is .
That's all I can say and maybe @BigAl07 or @clackey might chime in on this I don't know .
I understand and respect your position. I also apologize for seeming to have stepped on your toes. My whole issue with my “rant” is nothing more than to draw attention to the fact that a few individuals seem very content to bluntly violate the laws and post of it. It seems that it would be so simple sometimes for the FAA to simply read some of these postings (and on other venues) and clearly see that a few are in fact ruining the fun for many. We shoot ourselves in the foot when we remain silent and oddly become ostracize ourselves when we speak up. (Not by you, so please forgive me!). My whole intent is to nothing more than draw attention to a need to ice down some of the clear violations and promote a strong sense of ownership and responsibility within the community.
I love your GIFs! Again, Mods, you all do a great job!

No toes stepped on just had to post that ranger.:)
BigA107 made me do it.
running.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
We should simply demand a ban of recreational drone operating until the faa is properly staffed to handle the training, regulation and enforcement of it. Based on this forum, the average recreational user either doesn’t know much about the regulations or simply doesn’t care about them as they know better.

• Sad
Reactions: brandon 1
We should simply demand a ban of recreational drone operating until the faa is properly staffed to handle the training, regulation and enforcement of it. Based on this forum, the average recreational user either doesn’t know much about the regulations or simply doesn’t care about them as they know better.
Facetious I trust?

One has to be mindful of the location of the pilot when taking the pics/videos.

Different rules/laws for locations...

We don't all live in the USA.

Onward and Upward.

• Wow
while i agree with a lot of what Jeffrey said, and i understand where he was coming from,i must point out that one of the best things about this forum ,is that it allows all opinions to be expressed,and debated upon.
and i think that the great majority of people on this forum are responsible fliers,and they promote the best practice amongst us all

It really does give me humor and horror when I read and realize how many pilots out there, (in the many wonderful lands around the globe), lend themselves to self confession. Examples are varied and many of the violations. Violations either by mistake or on purpose. Violations such as "I did a VLOS flight of (exaggerated) 23 miles and never lost sight." "What is your longest?" "Here's my video of my drone flying over a car/truck/ship/train loaded with a highly explosive substance, and clearly marked hazardous material." "I placed strobes on my Mavic Air so now I can maintain VLOS up to 45 miles away." How about the videos posted that show the DRONE takeoff from point A, fly over 3 or 4 city blocks, across the river, trees, buildings, etc, and the pilot expects us to believe they maintained VLOS the whole time.

I have to sit back and laugh at these self confessions. It seemingly is sending a message to the FAA (or respective national authority) and saying, "I know what the rules are but I just have to prove I don't care!" And so, these individuals that proclaim to be responsible pilots start a thread and/or post a video bragging of their inability to fly within the limits of the law. And, some even go further and encourage others to violate the law as well by asking "Have you tried this bypass?" or "How far can you go?", or "How can I still fly in the TFZ when I am 15 miles away?", etc, etc!

Should we NOT, as members of this FORUM, be open to display ourselves as responsible, lawful pilots? Should we not be encouraging other to promote the drone community as a responsible entity. One which has the public drone industry first and foremost in mind by promoting a safe and responsible environment of piloting by ourselves and all others. Should we not condemn the FAA (others) for placing more and more strict rules of flying, when we ourselves cannot abide by the rules set forth already? As members of the drone industry, we should be able to point out, to others, the mistakes and infractions of simple and blatant violations! If I am making a mistake, or more clearly violating the law, when I am flying, please tell me, so I may correct the inappropriate action. Help me to become a better pilot. Be gentle, but firm. Let me know specifically what I did wrong and why it was wrong! I can take it. If not, I have a blanket and pacifier and I know where the corner of the room is! Been there, done that!

Do NOT be condemning of others for responding to the violations of a pilot that has posted obvious violations, as they are attempting to correct a wrong! Often, those persons are trying to help the forum as a whole by letting all know of the errors. Do NOT condemn the pilot for making an error the pilot may not be aware of! The forum should be a place where we can all exchange ideas and encourage each other to grow. We should NOT condemn and crucify another for their errors, but rather help them grow. Let others know of their mistakes, their errors, their violations. Do NOT be afraid to cite the offense and offer corrective action.

DOES BIG BROTHER WATCH AND READ? FAR TOO OFTEN WE CAN READ, ON THIS FORUM, THE SINS OF OURSELVES! HOW EASY IS IT FOR THE FAA, CAA, OTHER RESPECTIVE AGENCIES TO STOP BY AND SEE FOR THEMSELVES OUR SINS. WE ARE FAR OPEN TO BOASTING OUR SKILLS AND ABILITIES. WE OPENLY SHOW WE HAVE NO REGARD FOR THE AUTHORITY THAT GIVES US PERMISSION TO FLY (MOSTLY WITHOUT TOO MUCH CONSTRAINT). BUT, WHEN THE AUTHORITY SUGGESTS A CHANGE OR MODIFICATION TO THE RULES OF FLIGHT, WE CRY AND SCREAM AND THROW A TANTRUM AND WONDER "WHY ON EARTH DID THEY WANT TO DO THAT?" THE ANSWER WAS OBVIOUS ALL ALONG! WASN'T IT?

REMEMBER, ALL BIG BROTHER HAS TO DO IS VIEW THIS FORUM TO SEE IF MEMBERS OF THE INDUSTRY ABIDE BY RULES OR NOT. ONE DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A MEMBER TO READ, BUT TO POST!

MORALE IF THE STORY IS . . . IF YOU WISH TO DO SOMETHING THAT IS NOT ALIGNED WITH THE LAWFUL FLIGHT OF A DRONE. DO NOT POST IT FOR THE WORLD TO SEE!!!

KUDOS TO THE ADMINISTRATORS/MAINTAINERS, THEY DO A THANKLESS AND WONDERFUL JOB AT KEEP THIS FORUM ALIVE AND INFORMATIVE. MODERATORS DO NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT RESOURCES TO THOROUGHLY VIEW EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO. THERE IS MUCH MORE INVOLVED THAT PROHIBITS THEM FROM READING/REVIEWING EACH AND EVERY POSTING/VIDEO TO DETERMINE IF THE CONTENT WAS A LEGAL ACTION OR NOT. HELP THEM ALONG AND STAY WITHIN THE LIMITS OF THE LAW. IF YOU VIEW A NEW THREAD (OR POSTING) THAT YOU BELIEVE IS DEMONSTRATING ILLEGAL/WRONGFUL ACTIVITY, MESSAGE A MODERATOR! LET THEM MAKE A DECISION, THAT'S THEIR JOB!!! THAT WOULD TRULY BENEFIT ALL MEMBERS OF THE FORUM AND PROMOTE RESPONSIBILITY WITHIN THE COMMUNITY.

I ENCOURAGE EACH AND EVERY MEMBER OF THIS FORUM TO ABIDE BY THE RULES ESTABLISHED FOR SAFE FLIGHT, PROMOTE AND DEMONSTRATE A HIGH DEGREE OF RESPECT FOR THE INDUSTRY, BY SHARING THE SAFE AND LEGAL ASPECTS OF DRONE FLIGHT WITH ALL, HELPING TO KEEP THIS INDUSTRY ALIVE THROUGH ADHERENCE TO THE APPLICABLE RULES AND LAWS, AND KINDLY WARN OTHERS OF POTENTIAL VIOLATIONS AND ACTIONS TO CORRECT.

DO NOT GIVE THE FAA (OTHER ENTITIES) AMMUNITION TO RESTRICT THE INDUSTRY ANY MORE THAN IT IS!
Dannnnng... what do you feed that thing?!?!?!!!
47460D02-9C8E-4E1E-8B47-245A38DC2570.gif

while i agree with a lot of what Jeffrey said, and i understand where he was coming from,i must point out that one of the best things about this forum ,is that it allows all opinions to be expressed,and debated upon.
and i think that the great majority of people on this forum are responsible fliers,and they promote the best practice amongst us all
I wholeheartedly agree with the statement that the vast majority of fliers are responsible. But, I stand that unfortunately, when some openly publicize of their disregard for rules and regulations, it only has potential to hurt the whole! Realizing that rules are different around the globe, there are still some similarities. VLOS in the US, but specified distance in other countries.

All good. I agree that we should all fly by the rules, which I believe I do. On the other hand... lots of examples of flying in the NFZ. I was in Bretagne last week and I kept my drone in my bag Most of the time..... just to run into a beautiful shot of Mont Saint Michael (totally NFZ) on the DJI site.
The other issue is the highly confusing and very poorly manage access to information on legal spots to fly. Better in the US, more confusing abroad and much less well supported.
Third, there should be a different approach to flight drones in areas such as National parks. A permit system should be developed with a fee attached so that it can be appropriately supervised and monitored.

Very good and valid points. I just shake my head watching guys on Youtube break every rule possible then brag about how good a pilot they are and even encourage this rogue behavior.

1569422224649.jpeg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vanillasky