DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Hello from Joisey!

Allen

Reactions
Hey kids,

Allen here.

The Mavic Pro, my very first drone, was shipped from Amazon and delivered to my door yesterday. I was going to purchase one of the Fly More combos Amazon is promoting, but after a few calculations I realized I could save money by buying each item separately. Here's what I got:

-- Mavic Pro: w/Controller, Battery and Controller Charger, and Extra Set of Propellers ($992.86)
-- DJI OEM Propeller Guards ($21.90) - They're worth it. No need to remove props when mounting.
-- Car Charger ($19.99)
-- Extra Battery ($89)
-- 4 Extra Propellers ($9.99)
-- Battery Charging Hub ($36.49)
-- Leg Extender Kit ($8.99)
-- Landing Pad ($15.99)

So, I spent around $1200 and have more than what is in the Fly More combo that Amazon has priced at $1255 or DJI has priced at $1299. Yep, I feel good about that. The only item I don't have is the bag that comes with the Fly More combo, but it wouldn't have been able to hold everything I have anyway.

Shipping was quite speedy. I placed my orders on Monday and the boxes were sitting on my porch Wednesday when I got home from work, although I don't understand why everything couldn't have been shipped in 1 box instead of 4. Also, because I have Amazon Prime I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I knew I was going to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet instead of my phone and hoped I wouldn't be plagued with the issues others here have complained about. After charging everything up and installing the Go 4 app I happily had no problem connecting. As long as my tablet is the last device in the chain that I power up I suspect I will never have a problem.

I'd read that the S2 tablet fits in the Mavic controller but was dubious. Lo and behold it does, and quite nicely. The only problem I have with the S2 and the Mavic controller is the controller charges the S2 while connected, which drains the controller's battery very quickly, even more quickly than the quadcopter's battery, which sucks. If anyone knows a way to prevent this, please let me know.

Last night I registered my Mavic with the FAA; you can't beat $5 for a registration :). I now have my UAS Certificate Number. Woo-hoo! I'm official and legally compliant!

It's been raining here for the past few days so I haven't had an opportunity to fly my Mavic outside yet but I did fly it indoors for about 5 minutes just to see it hover, take a few photos, and approximately 30 seconds of video. Of course I flew with the prop guards on. Seeing the Mavic hover in person for the first time is absolutely mesmerizing as you all probably know.

There is a lot I need to learn about operating the aircraft and I look forward to finding safe places to fly. I'm in Central New Jersey, approximately 5 minutes from where the NJ and PA Turnpike's meet. If anyone knows of any large open areas in Central NJ where it is permissible to fly please let me know. I'd also be interested in meeting up and flying with a group as long as I don't have to travel too far.

Anyway, thanks for accepting my membership to this forum. I will attempt to contribute as often as I can.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirkclod
Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :)

Hey kids,

Allen here.

The Mavic Pro, my very first drone, was shipped from Amazon and delivered to my door yesterday. I was going to purchase one of the Fly More combos Amazon is promoting, but after a few calculations I realized I could save money by buying each item separately. Here's what I got:

-- Mavic Pro: w/Controller, Battery and Controller Charger, and Extra Set of Propellers ($992.86)
-- DJI OEM Propeller Guards ($21.90) - They're worth it. No need to remove props when mounting.
-- Car Charger ($19.99)
-- Extra Battery ($89)
-- 4 Extra Propellers ($9.99)
-- Battery Charging Hub ($36.49)
-- Leg Extender Kit ($8.99)
-- Landing Pad ($15.99)

So, I spent around $1200 and have more than what is in the Fly More combo that Amazon has priced at $1255 or DJI has priced at $1299. Yep, I feel good about that. The only item I don't have is the bag that comes with the Fly More combo, but it wouldn't have been able to hold everything I have anyway.

Shipping was quite speedy. I placed my orders on Monday and the boxes were sitting on my porch Wednesday when I got home from work, although I don't understand why everything couldn't have been shipped in 1 box instead of 4. Also, because I have Amazon Prime I didn't have to pay for shipping.

I knew I was going to use my Samsung Galaxy S2 tablet instead of my phone and hoped I wouldn't be plagued with the issues others here have complained about. After charging everything up and installing the Go 4 app I happily had no problem connecting. As long as my tablet is the last device in the chain that I power up I suspect I will never have a problem.

I'd read that the S2 tablet fits in the Mavic controller but was dubious. Lo and behold it does, and quite nicely. The only problem I have with the S2 and the Mavic controller is the controller charges the S2 while connected, which drains the controller's battery very quickly, even more quickly than the quadcopter's battery, which sucks. If anyone knows a way to prevent this, please let me know.

Last night I registered my Mavic with the FAA; you can't beat $5 for a registration :). I now have my UAS Certificate Number. Woo-hoo! I'm official and legally compliant!

It's been raining here for the past few days so I haven't had an opportunity to fly my Mavic outside yet but I did fly it indoors for about 5 minutes just to see it hover, take a few photos, and approximately 30 seconds of video. Of course I flew with the prop guards on. Seeing the Mavic hover in person for the first time is absolutely mesmerizing as you all probably know.

There is a lot I need to learn about operating the aircraft and I look forward to finding safe places to fly. I'm in Central New Jersey, approximately 5 minutes from where the NJ and PA Turnpike's meet. If anyone knows of any large open areas in Central NJ where it is permissible to fly please let me know. I'd also be interested in meeting up and flying with a group as long as I don't have to travel too far.

Anyway, thanks for accepting my membership to this forum. I will attempt to contribute as often as I can.
Howdy from Wyoming Allen, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

Welcome...I'm not to far from you in PA

Welcome to MavicPilots. You’ve come to the right place if you are seeking advice, chat, buying or selling you drone, or simply just to say hello. If you need any parts, supplies, or repairs, Im here to help.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J