DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help...I've Crashed

Axxa

Reactions
On 04December2017, I had my first crash with my Mavic. After I regained consciousness, lost due to the shock of watching it get tangled in tree branches and fall about 10' to the ground, landing on it's top, I rushed to retrieve it. 2 broken props and 1 slight body blemish were the only effects I saw.

I benched the bird and did an AirData Extended Maintenance service...basically recalibrating the IMU, compass and gimbal. I also reinstalled the firmware with the latest version from DJI.

I put the Mavic back in the air and it performed flawlessly. Or so I thought. Video and stills function as expected, Intelligent Flight modes all worked perfectly. However, I have not been able to achieve an altitude above 94'. I have set the Max Altitude setting on the radio to 120m, roughly 360'. Still, at 94' I get an audio alert from the radio and a message appears stating that I have attained maximum altitude and that the setting can be controlled in settings.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is there possible damage to an internal component?

More, I have not been able to sync flights to AirData since the crash. The sync w/DJI servers seem to go as expected, but since the crash, my flights have not appeared on AirData. Could it be that DJI is punishing me for being stupid and crashing their product?

Reactions: Djan
is it possible that you have it in beginner mode?

On 04December2017, I had my first crash with my Mavic. After I regained consciousness, lost due to the shock of watching it get tangled in tree branches and fall about 10' to the ground, landing on it's top, I rushed to retrieve it. 2 broken props and 1 slight body blemish were the only effects I saw.

I benched the bird and did an AirData Extended Maintenance service...basically recalibrating the IMU, compass and gimbal. I also reinstalled the firmware with the latest version from DJI.

I put the Mavic back in the air and it performed flawlessly. Or so I thought. Video and stills function as expected, Intelligent Flight modes all worked perfectly. However, I have not been able to achieve an altitude above 94'. I have set the Max Altitude setting on the radio to 120m, roughly 360'. Still, at 94' I get an audio alert from the radio and a message appears stating that I have attained maximum altitude and that the setting can be controlled in settings.

Am I missing a setting somewhere or is there possible damage to an internal component?

More, I have not been able to sync flights to AirData since the crash. The sync w/DJI servers seem to go as expected, but since the crash, my flights have not appeared on AirData. Could it be that DJI is punishing me for being stupid and crashing their product?

Reactions: Ianc
I also reinstalled the firmware with the latest version from DJI. ......... Could it be that DJI is punishing me for being stupid and crashing their product?
Well, they're punishing everybody with the latest firmware, certainly. Did you install 1.04.0100? I hope not, and that you heeded the warnings about that version.

Last edited:
Well, they're punishing everybody with the latest firmware, certainly. Did you install 1.04.0100? I hope not, and that you heeded the warnings about that.
Why are they punishing everyone?

I won’t worry too much abt AirData not syncing just yet. Wait a day. I had 1/3 flight log didn’t sync somehow (middle one no less), but it appeared the next day.

... I also reinstalled the firmware with the latest version from DJI.... at 94' I get an audio alert from the radio and a message appears stating that I have attained maximum altitude and that the setting can be controlled in settings....
I believe you are in beginner mode, due to the firmware update. Beginner mode limits you to 30 meters height, which is 98 feet. After any update you need to check all your settings. Some get reset to their defaults.

Last edited:
Thanks to all who responded.

peewee196899...Beginner's Mode was my first thought, but not the case

PT_Mavic...I am indeed running 1.04.0100. I've read so many conflicting posts about whether or not to install each upgrade that I've grown numb to them. So, yea, 1.04.0100 is in command of my Mavic.

RayOZ...I hope you are right. I've already unsubscribed from an app that promised to sync flights from DJI servers thinking that it was their fault when the fault may lie w/DJI.

Mossiback...Absolutely correct, which leads me to the following thoughts...

The Mavic Pro is my first serious drone. I'd been flying toys for about a year before I decided my flying skills were good enough to control a $1k rig. Of course i had my doubts about that when I got tangled up in a tree, but hey! It was a learning experience.

Owning the Mavic has for me, illuminated a constant. Whether it be through reading posts on this forum or from personal experience, the constant is that **** happens. Strange, inexplicable ****! Case in point, I took the Mavic out for a serious post crash flight today at the same park where I crashed it 4 days previous and it flew without a hitch. More interestingly, I did not have the w/altitude limits warning. I was so surprised I pushed it up to 300'. Not nose bleed, but not 94' either. Another reason for taking it up to 300' was to test if I could see these cool little lights, I'd just purchased. If I'd had these lights 4 days ago, I might not have lost sight of the drone and crashed it. Back to the original point though, the only change i made to the Mavic between the time I had the altitude problems and today is that I powered everything down to put the drone away and then back up again for todays flight. That's it.

So, all is good. Thanks again to those of you who offered your suggestions and thought to my situation. Also, I can't tell you how much I've learned from this forum, from those who take the time to inquire, advise, discuss and console.

Be well...Happy holidays.

Reactions: Greenflash
Mate I think when you do a firmware change, it wants you to log onto DJI before it will remove those flight restrictions.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1