DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

HELP . Mavic goes crazy / over ocean . appears to flip ? or fly upside down / WTF ?

So, what's the VPS range? As far as I know VPS will give you problems flying over water but really close to water...

That was the gimbal. I've had mine do that a few times. The gimbal controller resets and then all is good. It's unnerving, but I've gotten used to it now. Happens maybe 5% of my flights.

I didn't know you have to turn the VPS off when flying over water. No mention of that that I have seen from DJI. I must have missed that.

Reactions: Yoshizakura
mine seemed to go nuts the other day aster a landing i took off and it looked like it was doing flips and spins and i was a red bull racer rather than a drone. i did a gimbal calibration and it was fine after. the landing before was on grass albeit short and i think it just knocked out the stabilisation. scary at first but after a second or two i just enjoyed watching the nuts video feed while coming back and landing i swear my drone was really drunk.

I didn't know you have to turn the VPS off when flying over water. No mention of that that I have seen from DJI. I must have missed that.
See page 25 of the new manual. Although it doesn't specifically say to turn them off, it does say "The forward and downward vision systems may not function properly when the aircraft is flying over water". These systems control a lot of autonomous joystick actions of the mavic (including autoland) so, to me, that means turn them off over water or expect to be the next OP wondering "what happened to my mavic?".

Last edited:
Went out for a little fly decided to go over to Pacific Beach almost didn't make it my maverick decided to go crazy. I'm just glad it came back home.....HELP !!!
,,,,,,,,,,,,,I did use a big piece of cardboard
I just encountered the same issue few days ago..it's the gimbal but in the end it 'recovered'.....no big deal i guess :D

Is the gimball itself. It has happened to me too. Even more if you are trying to use some "intelligent modes" to fly and set a position for an object that the Mavic has problem recognizing. Has happened to me under that specific circumstance many times. Hovering, trying to set on the screen the object to follow or whatever, and suddenly, crazy gimball and partially crazy Mavic too. Hit the pause button to stop the "intelligent" mode and...recovered...but...yes...got very nervous.

It has happened to me more with strange objects...not with regular ones...

I hope is helpful!

Mine did the same exact thing a few days ago. Mine did it for much longer. I swear it went and flipped front over end but it didn't. It was my first flight using iOS on iPad mini 4

I was over water also and I've never turned on vps

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78