DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Help me out here

Sprocket

Reactions
Would someone explain why a person wouldn't want the latest firmware/software update on their UAS?
It seems to me all the talk of using older updates and rollback stuff would be comparable to using a 1954 Rand- McNally atlas to plan a cross country vacation trip.
Also, please type slowly as sometimes I don't instantly comprehend things. Thanks in advance.

Because sometimes new firmware brings compatibility problems with the DJI Go app or introduces other bugs. Some people have found it worthwhile to wait to update to see if there are widespread problems reported.

DJI chose to lock down or remove certain functionality in later versions of the firmware. Personally I stayed on a much earlier version for the same reason I always unlock and root my cell phones.....I don't like corporations telling me what I can and cannot do with my property.

That being said, I have seen no compelling reasons to upgrade. A couple of minor features added...nothing critical. I have never had an issue of any kind with the firmware and app version that I am using.

I always want the latest and greatest versions. They tend to be safer and more reliable. Some people like to keep older versions because they are compatible with older versions of after market apps they are using.

When I repair a drone, I recommend the customer let me update the firmware to the latest version.

Reactions: dirkclod
DJI has been removing the ability to alter parameters that folks want to change. I live in a mountainous region, if I want to fly to the top of the mountain near me I need to change (hack) that max altitude to do that. The only way is to go back to firmware version 1.03.0700 and change the max altitude parameters. If I want all the latest features I use the latest firmware.

Reactions: Former Member
I am an updater. I like to be current and be sure I have the latest bug fixes.
I have yet to encounter any earth shattering restrictions with any update.
There are some that may have been let down by an update at some point, and never do them ever again, and rally to sway others to do the same.
Then there are those who tend to follow the "they are taking my freedoms" camp. And you find them in every social group.
Then there are the followers of these first two types, and they really dont know what will happen if they update, and are not really someone to take advice from.

I will trust DJI. They made the drone, they made the software, who better to know when an update is needed?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jroy329